Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was picking up some hornady ammo today and noticed a black series on the rack...........yeh I know it’s just a black 336 with a really short barrel, but damn, I’m wondering what I can flog to find a couple of grand,

·
Super Moderator
33,786 Posts
Pictures when you get it!

ca'jun56

Reactions: MattyW

·
Super Moderator
25,093 Posts
A couple grand for a Remlin?
After the very bad experience I had from two Remlin/Remington rifles almost 9 years ago---no way would I ever buy another Freedom Group product. The Remlin/Remington product quality and customer service absolutely sucked. I am hoping that Ruger will do a much better job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a marlin dark in 45-70 ( 2019) it's better in every way than my jm 336w (2007)iirc. Smoother action, better wood to metal fit, better bore ( yes I have a bore scope).... absolutely no comparison. My older 1895(2014) was the same great gun well made and accurate. I get that the remlins had issues...but my jm 336 had many of the same. Canted front sight barrel not quite in line with action, bore that looks like it was cut with a combine.....if you can put hands/ eyes on the gun before handing over the cash and give it a good inspection I wouldn't hesitate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was it new or used and how much? I emailed Ruger, who bought marlin and they said they will make Ruger made Marlin firearms in the 2nd 1/2 of 2021. I want one of these real bad but not $2000 bad.

·
Registered
336W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple grand for a Remlin?
Yep, in Oz we pay n pay, the prices vary from $1950( the one I looked at) to $2250 depending on the shop, everything is dearer here, but our wages a bit higher so it’s relative . I’m not sure what you pay in USA but a box (20) of hornady lever-revolution is $45...... you don’t just throw them at paper! I have some PPU that’s closer to a dollar a round and it’s pretty good ammo, better than anything with a Winchester sticker.

·
Registered
336W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a marlin dark in 45-70 ( 2019) it's better in every way than my jm 336w (2007)iirc. Smoother action, better wood to metal fit, better bore ( yes I have a bore scope).... absolutely no comparison. My older 1895(2014) was the same great gun well made and accurate. I get that the remlins had issues...but my jm 336 had many of the same. Canted front sight barrel not quite in line with action, bore that looks like it was cut with a combine.....if you can put hands/ eyes on the gun before handing over the cash and give it a good inspection I wouldn't hesitate
I bought my 336W before I knew about the REMLIN thing , and love it, no dramas, shoots well, makes a big noise, nice finish. Oddly I never consider Remington when looking at any of my other rifles. I’m thinking I’ll grab this Black Series though, it’ll be a couple of years before we see anything new in Oz and while I reckon Ruger do alright, there’s no guarantee they’ll even make levers,

·
Registered
336W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was it new or used and how much? I emailed Ruger, who bought marlin and they said they will make Ruger made Marlin firearms in the 2nd 1/2 of 2021. I want one of these real bad but not $2000 bad.
Yep, two grand, welcome to Australia ,please keep your hand on your wallet at all times😁😁

·
Registered
336W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At the current exchange rate that's about $1540 USD. But remember, they are imports in Australia and subject to shipping, import fees, tariffs, and taxes.
Bringing them in in bulk obviously brings the price down, but to idvidually import a long arm costs about $1100-1400 , not including the cost of the gun,

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
hell I’d pay $1100 for a 1895 Dark for sure. Sadly they are nowhere to be found here in Iowa.
$1,100 doesn't include the gun!

Reactions: MattyW

·
Registered
336W
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeh ,the import costs are crazy, my Dad lives in Michigan and was going to gift me a few rifles , turned out I could've bought them here for less than the import costs, it is obviously cost effective to bring in hundreds at a time but not low numbers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts