Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the one rifle marked "For Black Powder" that i own , it is a 1893 38-55 half octagon barrel with the "S" curved buttplate s/n 209412 . i really don't understand why in the blue book these should be worth less then the ones marked for smokeless powder, the have got to be a lot more rare !!!! I have only seen a few. Don

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I have wondered about the blue book appraisal myself. Only thing I can think of, he is thinking from a shooters standpoint, of decades back, when that marking probably spooked guys wanting to use the gun.

The blue book aint gospel, its kind of like Snopes, never was sure who made them the only authority on internet mass mailings. As I understand, they are a very liberal man and wife working out of their back room.

Sadly the books can set the prices, as so many guys think they are the gospel, the Parker knife book was an example. I was convinced the guy just kept printing new editions, and he would jack the prices 10 to 15% an edition. He claimed that very common low end case knives, like the sodbusters made in the late 80s, were worth near 100 bucks. Right. It was hard to even find someone that collected Sodbusters.

Am not positive the Blue book may not be using the same logic, cause much of the time, his prices are way off gun prices at the shows in this area.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RGR, I haven't really gone to any shows in the last 3 years and i have never gone to any really big shows ,so i havent really been able to check prices. i do watch internet sales but lately i haven't seen much move. Don

·
Premium Member
7,250 Posts
My thinking about the Grade B guns as they are listed in the Blue Book is lower for two reasons. First because they have blued receivers, and cased guns look so much better. Second because they were sold at a reduced amount originally, so they still carry that thinking of being lesser guns, or cheaper models.
In reality I rarely see them, and when I do they seem to go equal with a similar cased receiver 1893/'93 Marlin. I've had a few of them, but the only one I've hung onto is my grade B with a 32" barrel. I saw one at the KC show years ago that had all the bells and whistles; PG, TD, checkered, 1/2 octagon, shotgun buttplate, and grade B barrel. It was priced very reasonable, but I was short on cash after just buying a Ballard, or I'd still have that one!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
He claimed that very common low end case knives, like the sodbusters made in the late 80s, were worth near 100 bucks. Right. It was hard to even find someone that collected Sodbusters.
I've got a few of them, but mostly for nostalgia reasons as I carried the similar German made Tree brand knives as a kid.

Sometimes I think there's almost no rhyme or reason as to how stuff is priced.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vall, Priorities are hell !!!!! ;D ;D, i did know where there was one other "BLACK POWDER" rifle in a shop, i'm going to see if i can do some horsetrading on it. Don

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
I've got a few of them, but mostly for nostalgia reasons as I carried the similar German made Tree brand knives as a kid.

Sometimes I think there's almost no rhyme or reason as to how stuff is priced.
Thats for certain. Guns seem to be worth, what ever they sell for on any given day. One day maybe more, one day less. The internet has really caused price inflation I think. Guys know that some sucker somewhere, will give big bucks for them, the market is no longer set by wages in the sellers local.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts