Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anybody shoot BP cartridges?
What is your weapon and load that you use?

I shoot a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70, which I shoot BP loads.. I load my own ,, 64 gr. Pyrodex R/S, with 405 LFP bulets..
I'm shooting 3 shot groups of under 2" at 100 yds.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I shoot a few blackpowder rifles. The majority of what I own was made before smokeless powder, but I shoot them with reduced smokeless loads anyway.
My favorite blackpowder rifle is my old Ballard #4 Perfection, with 34" half octagon, .45-70 barrel. I use the real thing in it, with a slightly compressed load of 60grains of ffg, and a 500 grain Lee cast lead bullet. I also shoot some blackpowder in my Ballard #2, which is chambered in .32 Ballard XL. It's a fun little cartridge and rifle combination, and shooting BP in the littlestraight walled Ballard .32XL cases is fun.
Clean Shot is another powder I like to use in my BP rifles, as it gives the same result, without the messy cleanup.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Italian Vetterli in 10.4X47R. RCBS had a dedicated, heeled bullet mould that drops at 300gr + or -. I use 55.0 of Pyrodex CTG and got 1 1/2" group at 50 yds. I've made a few different loads and will try them at the range if the stinking wind ever goes down! I'm dealing for a 10.3X60R on another forum and if the deal goes through, I should be able to use the same bullet. SW

G

·
FDemsEMT said:

I shoot a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70, which I shoot BP loads.. I load my own ,, 64 gr. Pyrodex R/S, with 405 LFP bulets..
I hate to be picky, and I mean no offense, ..but.... you're not shooting BP loads if you're not using black powder. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I probably shoot as much holy black as smokeless these days and actually enjoy it much better since I've always rolled my own.Been casting bullets almost 50 years so there's nothing more rewarding than banging steel way out there with your home brew BP loads.

Shiloh Sharps 45/110 and Miroku Winchester '86.. 45/90

IMG_3296_zpsamspaqb1.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Nice rifles 'specially that 86 :flute:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Think it used to belong to some old phart in Wyoming not sure though:dontknow:..

Reactions: elkhunter76

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Now ya just need to bring it back and hunt with it :biggrin: We could do speedgoats with leverguns!

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts

Dang good groups at 200!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Greetings
Have several Marlins in 38-40, 38-55 and one in 44-40 that get a regular workout when we are up north in the US of A. My dad was a front stuffer so I got well used to BP (Goex & Harvey ) when I was young. One Marlin -Ballard in 38-50 that is a favorite ground hog rifle. This one was a 38 Long that is restamped.
There are no Marlins down here in southern LLama Land. But many 1892's in 44 WCF from Mr. Oliver made their way here. 3F under a 443 Saeco 220 grainer makes for a fine afternoon desert walk.
Probably have shot BP out of every straight wall brass caliber I shoot. Plus a few bottle necks like 50-95, 43 Spanish and soon 375 H&H in a 1885 Safari.
If you ever want to discover a rifles accuracy potential load up 10 rounds with BP and the proper bullet. Then try to beat that group with smokeless.
Mike in Peru

·
Registered
548 Posts
A custom built on an original Remington #1 rolling block in 38-55
A Winchester 1895 Creedmoor in 45-90
An 1884 Trapdoor rifle in 45-70
I've been known to shoot BP in my Marlin 1895CB as well

Scheutzen FFF in everything.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Registered
985 Posts
I feel a bit like an infidel jumping in here but I'll ante up. I just started loading "BP" cartridges a little over a year ago so I' m still experimenting with all the facets. I'm loading .45-70 for an H&R TD Springfield "Officer's Model" (24") and .45 Colt for a Cimarron Colt M1873 "Peacemaker." I have not been able to locate any "holy black" anywhere locally so I succumbed to the notion that substitutes would be the name of the game.
After trying a few of those out there, I'm currently using 60 gr./vol. of Alliant Black MZ in the rifle and 35 gr./vol. in the Colt. It kind of stinks and smokes great so I'm having fun with them. Please don't tell anybody but my LGS is practically GIVING the stuff away...
I get great accuracy in the "Colt" at "gunfighting range." Still looking for the magic combination in the rifle. I'm on paper at 100 yds., but wouldn't characterize it as grouping at all... I've been loading the .45-70's per the Wolff methodology. Loading 500 gr. boolits.

My apologies to real Colt owners and "holy black" loaders for me being fast and loose here with these names as a "Wannabe." But for now, this is as close as I can get.��

Tim

·
Registered
548 Posts
I feel a bit like an infidel jumping in here but I'll ante up. I just started loading "BP" cartridges a little over a year ago so I' m still experimenting with all the facets. I'm loading .45-70 for an H&R TD Springfield "Officer's Model" (24") and .45 Colt for a Cimarron Colt M1873 "Peacemaker." I have not been able to locate any "holy black" anywhere locally so I succumbed to the notion that substitutes would be the name of the game.
After trying a few of those out there, I'm currently using 60 gr./vol. of Alliant Black MZ in the rifle and 35 gr./vol. in the Colt. It kind of stinks and smokes great so I'm having fun with them. Please don't tell anybody but my LGS is practically GIVING the stuff away...
I get great accuracy in the "Colt" at "gunfighting range." Still looking for the magic combination in the rifle. I'm on paper at 100 yds., but wouldn't characterize it as grouping at all... I've been loading the .45-70's per the Wolff methodology. Loading 500 gr. boolits.

My apologies to real Colt owners and "holy black" loaders for me being fast and loose here with these names as a "Wannabe." But for now, this is as close as I can get.��

Tim
Looks like you're in the bay area? If you're ever eastbound on I80 stop at Sierra Gun Supply in Auburn. They sell Goex and Swiss

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Some on-line Black Powdercartridge reloading primers, casting etc., which some may find interesting or helpful:

www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/Intro_to_BPCR_Loading.pdf
http://users.isp.com/aconitum/BPCR%20ReLoading.html
http://www.longrangebpcr.com/

“Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West”, by Mike Venturino, is a treasure trove of reloading information and loads for various rifles and calibres. www.buffaloarms.com/Shooting_Buffalo_Rifles_of_the_Old_West_it-163839.aspx?CAT=4150

I’ve been reloading Black powdercartridge rifles (BPCR) since about 1986. Started with a Browning B-78, .45-2.1” (AKA .45-70). The B-78 found a new home and now load for the .40- 65, .45-2.1”, .45-2.4” (erroneously called the .45-90WCF), .45- 2 7/8 (.45-110)”, .577-450 Martini-Henry, and .50-70. Guess you could say that I have a weakness for black powder cartridge rifles and have some BPCR reloading experience. Not as much as some, a bit more thanothers.

I only shoot from the bench due to medical maladies and mostly shoot 5 and 10 shot groups, usually at 100 and 200 yards. This year I just might attempt 300 yards with the Borchardt .45-110. The rifles I shoot the most are Shiloh Sharps.

Except for the specific .45-70 load data, the following is how I reload all my BPCR ammunition. Hope it is of some use.

--No grease groove bullets; instead, paper patch. Bullet is a .45 and .50 calibre Government style roundnose, adjustable for weight, and cast 1:30 from a Steve Brooks nose pour mould. Bullets are shoot in order cast. I do not weigh them.I cannot recommend Brooks moulds enough. http://brooksmoulds.com/

--The paper patch is cut from Office Depot 25 pound translucent tracing paper. Item # 253-342. Forty 9x12” sheets for about US$6.00+ tax. As this paper works for me I bought over one dozen pads in order to have a life-time supply. www.officedepot.com/a/products/253342/Office-Depot-Brand-Tracing-Pad-9/

--Powder: KIK FFg. Tried KIK powder on a whim and found that it shoot well and does not leave a hard fouling. Powder Inc sells it a very competitive prices. Right now Powder Inc web site is undergoing reconstructionand should be on-line again in a week or so. http://www.powderinc.com/

--Each powder charge weighed.

Tried Pyrodex R/S once and gave up. ‘Nevva’ could get it toshoot, and it left a hard to remove fouling in both my B-78 and muzzle loader.

--Primer: CCI BR-2. Black Powder ignites easily and does not need a magnum primer.

--Lube: DGL with 5% peanut oil added by weight to keep fouling soft.

--Fouling control: wipe between rounds: appropriate sized Nylon bore brush to scrape/loosen fouling, then one damp jumbo 100% cotton ball, followed by two to dry. Brush and cotton balls are pushed completelythrough bore.

--Case are full length resized and kept to maximum length for each rifle’s chamber. Each rifle has its own 100 rounds. I decap after shooting, resize, then a quick wash out with soap-n-hot water. When all 100 roundshave been fired, wash in a Thumbler’s Tumbler using ceramic media, which removes any reaming baked on/all fouling residue from inside the case and the primer pockets.

--45-70 load: 70grains FFg KIK drop tubed, compress powder (approximately, .470” for the .45-70), 3/16” DGL lube wad sandwiched between two .060” vegetable fiber wads, seat 505 grain bullet into case ‘bout 1/8”,with slight taper crimp.

Buffalo Arms has powder compression plugs that screw intovarious manufacturers’ case mouth expansion dies. For US$20.00 or so, these dies stems are hard-to-beat:
www.buffaloarms.com/powder_compression_plugs_pr-3777.aspx

My Shiloh Business rifle sports an aperture front and Vernier tang rear, and with my 70 year old eyes, both rifles with hold about 1½ -1 ¼” for 5 shots at 100 yds. The Ballard #5 Pacific has a Parsons Optical‘scope and will do 5 in 1” at 100. Have not tried paper patch in my Lone Star Rolling Block 45-70 as it awaiting a tang sight installation.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Dont have no weapons, only firearms.

My Buff Classic uses 540gr paper patched boolits. I use holy black only.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Between the C&B pistols, shotguns, muzzle loaders, Buffalo guns, and 3/4" dia. bore Cannon, you could say I got a few.
I don't shoot that "religious black". I just shoot black powder. Goex or Graff & Sons. All the way from FG to FFFG.
I also shoot APP (American Pioneer Powder) for SASS cowboy shoots. Meters well, if ya use FFFG. The FFG is like aquarium gravel. Reason being one doesn't have to fiddle with BP lube, and is easier to get.
Pyrodex is outlawed in my house, but that's another story.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts