Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my 45-70 with a friend and he was doing some reloading for me.....I shipped him the gear and he got some loaded up and took a bison with it this winter.

He has hunted alot of Bison and worked on a bison farm in the Yukon doing harvesting for them. He has shot about 150 animals I would guess. He said the 45-70 took one shjot to the neck and the bull went down so fast he couldn't believe it......HE LOVES my little gun now.

He said he has never seen an animal go down that fast.

I am waiting for the pics and I will post them here. Heading back to the yukon in july during my holidays from Qatar....he is going to teach me to reload and to shoot her like him. I say that because I am basically a trad bowhunter and bought the 45-70 for a camp bear/bison gun.

He was all smiles telling me the story though......

I will get the reloading data too and post it all.....jer

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Great story, there's no reason the grand old Girl loaded right shouldn't be a Tatonka slayer. Pics are nice and load information is also welcome :biggrin:

Reactions: erimort

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pictures! I was just recently on a bison hunt this past January in South Dakota. I shot a nice bison cow with my 444 Marlin, and it did a number on her dropping her in her tracks. I hope to do another bison hunt again soon. Here's a picture:
Vertebrate Mammal Trophy hunting Bison Bovine

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I would hand it over to him in a heart beat.....but I have two more waiting in the states for me to pick up......and he doesn't know it yet but one of them is ear marked for him.......jer

here's a pic of my baby

and this is the one he will probably get

I also have a safe queen.....so we will see.....should be fun seeing the look on his face though ;)

Jer

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Well I would hand it over to him in a heart beat.....but I have two more waiting in the states for me to pick up......and he doesn't know it yet but one of them is ear marked for him.......jer

here's a pic of my baby

I also have a safe queen.....so we will see.....should be fun seeing the look on his face though ;)

Jer
Now, that's a true friend! :tee:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I know this.....it's:

Starline brass - 300 of them

45-70 FN GC DLG 390 gr BULLETS from the Rusty Wood Trading company - I bought 600 rounds

I think I got winchester primers but not certain and I am not certain about the powder

I will get the info though and pass it on.

Hey doesn't every friend do this?

Jer

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
you sir, are a true friend and gentleman! plus you scored a lot of enabler points i think lol!:congrats:enjoy you and your buddy filling those freezers!:eating:

·
Registered
10,597 Posts

here's a pic of my baby

Jer
I really like that recurve bow you have there. Did you have it made?

Reactions: cds4570

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The recurve bow was made for me by Border Archery in Scotland......first class outfit.

This is what my buddy said about the shot......he is a GREAT SHOT BTW..

HI JER
I AM AT WORK NOW ,BUT WILL GIVE RELOADING DATA LATER.The shot I took was about 250 yds ,we range findered it before I shot ,so it was actually 250 yds .i WAS PRONE POSITION AND TOOK NECK SHOT ,MAN DID SHE DROP. It was really big cow ,she was matriarch leader,dressed about 800 lbs.later.

If I know Alan...he would have shot this gun alot before hunting with it.....he would have shot is from 10 yards to 400 yards even if it looked like it was a 3 pointer on the 400 yarder so he knew everything about it....(just the way he is).

Jer

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Jerry,

What makes me think I've seen one of those before?

Yep, a neck shot should be quickly final!

Took one down (buffalo) in a barnyard put down with one behind the ear. Bang flop!

However, the other critter, the last two of a friend's herd who had died, was taken by his son. Lennie had put down many with the .44 mag rifle, including the rifle his son was using and after 4 or so shots another fellow took the rifle and finished the job for the son.

Mind you these were barn yard shots at barn yard distance and the son was standing just feet from me.

You know about hind sight and that keeps telling me I should have just dropped another one down the tube and finished the job with the #1.

SHOT PLACEMENT!

Sure would like to take a buffalo or moose with the 45/70 before time runs out on me, and do so in field conditions! Plan on putting in for a cow moose permit for at least one more year.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
Nice picture, thanks for sharing it. Thanks for letting me know where you had that bow made, it is really sharp. I shot my bison at 300 yards, she never gave me the neck shot. She charged me originally, then took off, stopped at 300 and stared at me. The 444 exploded her heart and she dropped like a ton of bricks.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
WiMarlin,

Are you shooting cast bullets in the .444 and if so what?

Am planning on ordering a new mold that will work in my son's .444.

Right now he is shooting some of my .44 bullets and just seating them deep and crimping over the front shoulder on the semi-wad-cutter.

300 yds is a good shot for a .444!

Later,

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
:hmmmm: TIMES LIKE THIS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A VIDEO :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
WiMarlin,

Are you shooting cast bullets in the .444 and if so what?

Am planning on ordering a new mold that will work in my son's .444.

Right now he is shooting some of my .44 bullets and just seating them deep and crimping over the front shoulder on the semi-wad-cutter.

300 yds is a good shot for a .444!

Later,

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Actually, at this time, I am not shooting cast bullets out of my 444. For my bison hunt I used Corbon Hunter 280gr bonded core soft points. That bullet did a heck of a job on my bison. For every day shooting, and for deer and black bear, I use the Hornady 265gr Interlock bullets. That is an awesome round as well.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Jer,

That was some fine shooting by your "bud" Alan! And a fine looking rifle, as well!

Think you just got a big stack of them "Enabler Points" (off the scale!)!!! LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CDOC.....great comments.....can't wait until we get together this summer on my bike trip south.

Mark: Well I was told once...go big or go home.....I was looking to the future too...might buy more yet...just wanted to see how they would perform first and it looks like its a keeper. Good for those claw bearing creatures in the north too I suspect. Can't have enough bullets I reckon.....I have never been much of a gun man....only had a shot gun and a few 22's in my past....then I saw the 45-70.....I was drawn to the lever action I guess and the promiss of a hard hitting slower bullet......up close and personal is where I do my hunting generally being a trad bowhunter (under 30 yards) but now I can reach out to 50 if I need to eat.

Jake - they are probably the nicest bows out there.....they have a new covert hunter model.....now this is the CREAM of the crop...wow

;)

Jer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.