Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to move to the Birmingham area and have no idea about where to go and shoot. I did find a one range that sounds great but right now my finances are on the very limited side. Steel City something or other out past the Gallaria area. The places I've lived in the past there was either a good clay pit handy or even better recently just go in the back yard. Those days are gone though and I'm moving to the big city.

A related question what is the hunting like up there? Again due to finances joining a hunting club is not in the cards. Where I'm living now there is so much private land that is fairly accesible for locals the public land gets very little hunting pressure, if I had to guess, in the B'ham area that too is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Most of the gents I know belong to hunting clubs. You might check Alabama's wildlife page at www.outdooralabama.com for more info.

Cahaba Wildlife Managmant Area is located in Central Alabama and may be of interest to you. Hunting around Birmingham... you will have to travel.

SS

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SS thanks for the link! I figured I would have to travel some to hunt.... Looking over that link I guess I will have to relearn the hunting regs also. Down in FL it is somewhat different. For instance we have to have 5" of antler visible above the hair line and there are very few antlerless permits given. Also from what I read squirrel season is suspended during deer season? Did I catch that right?
Thanks again,

B

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Bman,

I cant brag on the hunting in the Birmingham area too much. It seems that this is the part of the state with the lowest deer density. I have been disappointed in the deer hunting so far. With that said, there are some big deer around this part of the state. Even so, I much preferred the mixed hardwoods and croplands of Middle Tennessee.

There is some decent public hunting to be had on the Sam R Murphy WMA about and hour and a half northwest of town. The Black Warrior WMA can be pretty good at times. I still do most of my hunting on private lane up near Florence and down near Livingston.

I am in the same boat when it comes to a place to shoot around here. I have 4 acres surrounded by woods, so I shoot some in the back yard. I went to the FOP shooting range a few months ago. It is open to the public, but is a joke. The shooting tables seemed to be about 18 inches off the ground and you sit in plastic Wal Mart chairs. I actually had to get down on one knee to get low enough on those tables. When I set up my first target at 50yds a gust of wind blew through and broke the wooden target stand. The price of the other private shooting clubs has kept me from even considering them. I hate to keep talking about Tennessee, but when I left there we had a top notch TWRA shooting range where you could shoot all afternoon for less than $5.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SS thanks I thought I had that right. Seems odd but lots of things seem that way to me.

TnBB, I almost went to the FOP range. When I called and found out the cost and disscussed the set up I was well let's just say underwhelmed. Well that trip was mostly to let a couple teenaged kids get a chance to shoot a few rounds they had reloaded. I think it was like 15 bucks a head/day. The Steel City Gun Club is like 240/yr. I think that is pretty high but it sounded like they were a good facility. That rate allowed for several guests per visit and they had rifle ranges out to 700 yards.

I have considered biting the bullet with SSGC as they have several different types of organized competition, which is something living out in the sticks puts a damper on. I've always wanted to get in on some copetitive shooting. Not that I'm any good, just never really had the opportunity.

Thanks fo rthe help guys! Looking forward to the gun show coming up.

B

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Tip yer hat to the vulcan for me bman. Im a OKIE now for about 25 years but " My Home's In Alabama"

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerr, I will next weekend! They took him down for a while and reoriented him a few years back. That was before my time up there. Vulcan used to be 'mooning' Homewood where my girlfriend lives. Now he is pointing towards either the first steel mill or ore mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts