Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His name has a great many letters in it with one of those “ski’s” on the end. One of those names most americans get tongue tied trying to pronounce. His first name is dave. My brothers name is also Dave and sometimes we all hunt together. Somehow we got to where we just called him binky. He doesn’t mind what you call him, as long as you call him to go hunting.

He worked at the same place as I did and on the same shift. That would be 3pm-11 pm. Having all morning every day of the week to hunt or fish is exactly why we both worked that shift. At first we did some bird hunting together. He had a dog that was just a shade better than mine. I didn’t own a dog.

Binky was born with no hair and the condition hardly improved. I have known him since he was in his 20’s and he only had a little around his ears. Out ice fishing, his brains were suseptable to freezing!

Late one summer , he started talking about wanting to go duck hunting. On and on he went about how he liked to eat ducks and hunt ducks and shoot AT ducks. Truth was, for somebody who hunted as much as he did, he wasn’t much of a shot. He did like to go though and was dependable.

So one day I had a little talk with an acquaintance of mine who happen to have a duckblind. This was the waldorf astoria of floating duck blinds. It would hold five hunters! It was huge. It belonged to a group of guys who always hunted the same spot on the lake we lived on. They were none to quick about putting the thing out every year and usually left it out to long.

So I made them an offer I knew they would jump on. Binky and I would put the blind out on the lake, build the boat blind, cover the whole affair(camo) and pull the thing off the lake when everybody was finished with it. For this labor, we would get to use it every morning during the week. They would have the use of it every evening and the weekend. Those guys could not agree fast enough to that arrangement! When we all threw the decoys in one big pile and we would have a nice blind and a big spread of decoys.

When I informed binky of the plan he was smiles from ear to ear. So in early morning about a week before the season, we got started.

One day we trailered the blind down to the lake and launched it. The thing was huge. I took my flatbottom boat and 18 hp. Evinrude out and pushed it out to the place we would be hunting the entire season. There we drove the 2x4x12’ stakes down through the cleats to anchor it. The blind was a floater and would ride up and down on the stakes as the water raised or lowered. After that we built a rough frame work behind the blind for the boat blind. It would take a LOT OF STUFF TO CAMOUFLAGE THIS THING!

There was a low wet area close to my house that was full of slough hay. I gave myself the task of cutting and bundling the hay, getting it ready for use.

Binky lived over close to lake Michigan. Around his place there was giant reed grass. Most duck hunters call this grass cane. His job was to cut cane and bundle it for our use.

For a couple of days we were both cutting and bundling the materials to make the blind look like a natural thing instead of the mess of plywood it really was. Finally we had a truckload of each material and figured we had enough to make a start.

One fine frosty morning we made a start on it. I had given my son a rowboat for his 8th grade graduation. In his boat we stacked the large pile of slough hay. It was heaped up pretty high.

I also brought my large flat bottom boat with the 18 hp evinrude and in that boat we stacked all the cane that binky had brought. It was also a large heap.

So the plan was that binky would ride in the boatload of slough hay. We tied a rope to the front of the boat and I was going to tow his boat. Obviously we could not set any speed records.

we pushed the loaded boats out into the water. Binky crawled into the back of his boat and was standing there with his heels against the transom while skylarking around.

I had the rope to the other boat in my hand. I had to get the engine started. I gave the rope a one handed jerk. Nope. Another one handed jerk. Still nope! Hhhmmmmm. Choke! Forgot the choke. So I pulled the choke, dropped the rope and gave the pull rope a big old two handed jerk. The engine roared to life. alright! The wind had moved the other boat and the rope was playing out. I grabbed the rope and gave a pull to get the other boat headed back in my direction. I then pushed the choke in and the engine idled down to a beautiful purr. We were finally off! So I turned around to face the other boat.

Where’s binky? I saw him standing there a few seconds ago. I thought maybe he had laid down behind that big pile of slough hay. I kept looking but kept on not seeing him! Where could he have gotten to? I yelled over the engine noise and got no response. Something just wasn’t right.

I shut the engine back down. Silence. I jumped up on the seat and at that point I could see the back of the transom of the other boat.

There was binky’s boots still with the heels against the transom. His knees, however were at the top of it. He had WENT OUT OF THE BOAT BACKWARDS AND HIS FEET WERE STILL IN THE BOAT!

HOW LONG HAD HE BEEN IN THAT POSITION? In a few seconds I saw his hands catch the top of the transom and his head came into view. His shiny head was decorated with mud and moss! His eyes were as big as saucers and I believe he spit up a tadpole or two!

He pulled himself up to where he was sitting on the transom. After he quit gagging and spitting up tadpoles I asked him what happened. He said when I jerked that rope he found himself going out the back of the boat with his feet wedged and couldn’t do anything but suck mud.

After a bit he finally grinned and said, at least I kept my boots dry! When he stood up all the water in his soaked clothes ran right into them. Guess not!

I took him back to my house and got him into warm dry clothes. Then we went at it again. The second try was less exciting!

I don’t remember killing many ducks for all the effort we put into that monster blind but the memory of the sight of a mud encrusted binky telling me his boots were still dry was sure worth it!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great story. Laughed my socks off! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i ran across binky just recent. his recalling of this incedent leaves me believing that he thinks i may have intentionally caused him to go out the back of the boat.

i cannot understand how on earth he might have come up with such an idea...lol!

luck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts