Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or perhaps "don't tread on me"

I ride a quiet, sensible motorcycle. It's nice. It's not really all that fast or exciting, but it's a good bike... I've worn full face helmets since I started riding... When was that? A long time ago... Always with the boots, jeans, gloves and a good riding jacket. Usually some bright colored "see me" jacket. All that responsible stuff.

Every now and then though I really want to just hop on a nasty, noisy, belchfire, politically incorrect, totally bada** bike and hit the road and just go....

Sigh... Then I wake up. :biggrin:

Time to time I really envy you guys who actually know the difference between a knucklhead, a shovelhead, an axehead, a kneehead a twincam V evo thing... And you can throw all those cool letters together so they make sense, like FXLT something or other...

Yeah, my buddy Eric rides some kind of low-slung black thing on a Dyna frame (see, I knew what that was) with a "120" motor that sounds like the wrath of the ancient gods when he fires it up... I think I need to go for a ride on his bike. Somehow I don't think he's going to swap bikes with me though. Weird.

Feeling a little frustrated with the current "nanny state" right now. I am a man. I do man things. Leave me be!

Humor me and show me some of your "don't tread on me" type bikes!

Guy

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Sorry Guy,

My avatar is all I've got. It is more aggressive than it appears in the photo with the side bags. I rigged that up to carry extra fuel for some long rides off road in remote areas of Colorado and Utah.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Guy

I do feel from time to time what you are thinking and saying. I for sure feel any of us who ride are making the statement I am doing it my way or I would be in a car or truck. So Yes when I am on my bike I feel I am saying don't tread on ME. You have to admit us bikers are for sure a different breed and cut from a different bolt of cloth.

This 2013 Heritage is a favorite of mine. It is loud and bad with a 103 engine from the Factory. I seem to do well at getting into trouble now and then. The bike and the Marlin are my two best friends. Neither have ever let me down. I as a country Red Neck feel the do say DON'T TREAD ON ME.

Nice thread my friend and well said and thanks for Posting.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2 / Buck

Marlin35 Rem and Harley.jpg

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Back when I was young if all you owned was a Ford and a Harley you had to call a friend for a ride to the store.:biggrin:
What, did you have a GM mechanic service your Ford?:vollkommenauf:

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Hey Guy, a local indy here has 75 FXE shovel with a wide glide rear fender, wide glide tree's, fatbob tanks, and an old FL tank dash. It is painted metallic green with the gadsden flag rattler on it and don't tread on me. I'll try to get pics of it if it hasn't sold yet.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Someone made a post in the Holster Tread section I was reading yesterday. I don't know what the rest of the bike looked like but, it had a close up of the seat. Man that thing definitely said leave me alone. If I knew how to move pics around, I would. It showed a beautiful leather seat with a built in holster with bullet loops and a single action pistol possibly a Ruger Black Hawk. That bike just said to me LEAVE ME ALONE, I'M BAD TOO THE BONE. I believe Gater or Golphin posted it.

·
Banned
497 Posts
This bike say ride me. It is a 100 year anniversary softail with twin cams. It belongs to my neighbor who bought it from some flunky who won it in a raffle, lost his license for DUI and then left the bike sitting in his yard for 3 years before finally having to sell it for rent money. He spent big bucks getting the engine hopped up but after sitting for so long the gas gelled and fouled the internals. When my neighbor bought it he spent a lot of time cleaning the carb as well as all the grime off the exterior. In the fall of '12 it was finally ready to ride but was still stumbling on the gas and refusing to idle smoothly. WHile looking at it one day I said what it needs is to be wound out to hopefully blow the gunk through the carb. He said OK lets go - you ride it and I'll take the dyna glide. I jumped at the chance as I did not have my own bike at the time and it'd been about a decade since I'd rode regularly. I pulled on my 30 year old leather jacket (a little small now), he gave me a beanie helmet and away we went into the warm fall afternoon. It was really weird riding with feet forward, hands in the air. All my bikes have been UJMs with low bars and windshields. Pretty and sleek in their own right but not with the snarling showboat personality of this machine. The straight pipes roared as I constantly blipped the throttle to keep the carb from choking. It stalled at least four times on the way to the gas station partly because of the carb but also my own ham fistedness. After gas up we got on the freeway and got up to speed. I had an permagrin despite the fact the wind blast was lifting my beanie helmet and choking me. My neighbor has a bad back and cannot ride long before he has to stretch out so after about 20 miles we pulled over which was fine for me. By now the softail was warm but still missing at idle. I suggested we turn back but go the roundabout way where there was a long straight country road. I did not want to open it up on the freeway as the local cops were all ways out in force. He agreed and away we went. To get there we rode some country roads at 50 mph. The bike had really smoothed out and I had gotten used to the controls so I could really start enjoying the bike and ride. The barking beast showed its mellow side as we rumbled along and I got to understand why people like this type of bike and seating position so much. After about a half hour we got to the straight section and my neighbor motioned me to take the lead. I down shifted and gave it full throttle. My eyes opened wide as it seemed like I had kicked in the hyperdrive. I glanced at the speed and saw 80 mph and then realized I had one more gear to go. I speed shifted and twisted the throttle to the stop. I could not believe the acceleration as I hit warp 9. My last glance at the speedo showed 100 and still acccelerating. By now it was all eyes on the road as I hunched down to minimize the wind blast. I passed a car like it was standing still and all the while the bike was as steady as a locomotive on rails. The wind blast drowned the roar of the exaust and the thump of the engine turned to a smooth deep vibration. Before I knew it the straight stretch (about 5 miles) was rapidly ending and I slowed for the gentle curve as my neighbor caught up. My face was sore from a ear to ear grin that would not go away. Rounding the cuve another straight stretch appeared and I cracked the throttle wide again. The bike was eager now and hot, accelerating with vigor and no stumbling. All to soon the next curve came and I had to settle down. The road back to the house was curvy up and down and I rode the whole way without shifting gears or touching the brake, using just the throttle to control the bike. The sun was low to the side and the whole landscaped glowed with fall colors, reflecting off the chrome and black paint. The sky was never so blue and the colors so vibrant as on that ride home. Back at the house we pulled in and I just let the bike idle for a minute, smoothly now with the classic Harley lope with just a hint of the fierceness that lurked under the surface. I knew then I had to get another bike maybe not a Harley but I had to get on two wheels again. I thought about the bike and realized that I could really enjoy it if the buckhorn bars were replaced with drag style low risers so the riding position would be more comfortable for my orangutan arms. I also realised if I owned a bike like this I'd be getting tickets right and left. Still the ride was a watershed moment. Two months later, risking the wrath of the wife I went and bought my DR 650. Since then I've ridden my neighbors Dyna glide but its a ***** cat compared to the Tasmainian devil softail. Everyone needs to ride a beast of a bike at leat once. It shifted the course of my life at its moment in time. All I can say is GO FOR IT.

softail.JPG

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
You're lucky you didn't hole a piston running it like that. If the bike won't idle right and farts out the carb after a cleaning, it has an intake leak. If the bike sat that long, the intake gaskets are rotted, causing an intake leak, and a highly lean condition. It will get better as it warms up or you add more fuel, but bike will run way too hot, and you will get detonation. Notice the discoloration on the rear cylinder muffler? You'd very likely warp the heads as well, which leads to popped head gaskets. The only way to fix a warped head is to replace it.

Also, be careful running those twinkies (twin cams) too hard. In 2003 HD stopped putting timken bearings on the left crank pin, and combined with their very WEAK pressed together flywheels, the cranks come out of true very easy. HD has a run out of .007 but on an evo it is .001, and anything more than that is unacceptable on any harley. With the gyrating oil pump that runs off the crank pin on a twinkie, they destroy them when the crank scissors, which spells disaster for your cam chest.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Thanks for that info Travis - I like to hear anything I can about Harleys as they are so different than what I'm used to. I've been following your tribulations with the previous yard ornament you've resurected. I was talking to the owner the other day and he did mention that the intake gaskets were replaced when he cleaned the bike. He was also talking about how it had the old style bearings. This was over my head as I'm not at all familiar with Harley internals but anyway I rode the beast with his blessing so I went for it. The pipes were discolored when he got it. Who knows how the original owner treated it but I do know my neighbor and his mechanic buddies have been very kind to it. Every time we go riding now he takes the softail and I get the dyna. He says the dyna fits me better but I know he wants the power of the softail - plus he put a windshield on it so he can ride farther with his bad back. They are two very different bikes performance and ergonomics wise

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Thanks for that info Travis - I like to hear anything I can about Harleys as they are so different than what I'm used to. I've been following your tribulations with the previous yard ornament you've resurected. I was talking to the owner the other day and he did mention that the intake gaskets were replaced when he cleaned the bike. He was also talking about how it had the old style bearings. This was over my head as I'm not at all familiar with Harley internals but anyway I rode the beast with his blessing so I went for it. The pipes were discolored when he got it. Who knows how the original owner treated it but I do know my neighbor and his mechanic buddies have been very kind to it. Every time we go riding now he takes the softail and I get the dyna. He says the dyna fits me better but I know he wants the power of the softail - plus he put a windshield on it so he can ride farther with his bad back. They are two very different bikes performance and ergonomics wise
No problem... just hate to see people tear bikes up. As to the bearings, that bike is an 03, 2002 was the last year Harley put timken bearings in the left side of the case on the crank. The twin cam IMO is a junky motor, simply because Harley want's it to be. No timken bearings, the same old non-full compliment cam bearings that evo's had problems with from 92-99, pressed together cranks instead of being held together by a nut, etc... Let's not forget that because they went to pressed together cranks to save money, that come out of true easily, they have to use a cam chain with tensioners on the cam plate, which is a terrible design. The older design utilized springs, and it would eat those tensioners alive, and when one went, it went... the new hydraulic system is a little better but that doesn't make up for a poor design. All HD's up until the twin cam had a single, gear driven cam which is a proven, reliable system, but it requires a crank run out of .001 or less. A popular upgrade for the twin cams is to have the crank trued, and welded, or simply buy a rebuildable crank held together by a nut, have the timken bearing conversion done if it's a post 02 bike, and then go to gear drive cams... a much more reliable system. The only problem I had with my old Evo was a cam bearing failure... put in a good full compliment bearing and all is good. The twin cams have similar problems although not as bad. Lets not forget though that on the new twin cams, harley also uses sealed wheel bearings which don't last worth a darn... the old tapered design like what is on my 96 is a much better system that lasts longer. Harleys have never been "good" motorcycles, and now IMO, they're worse but the price tag never got any better.

What year is that dyna? Funny that the softail is faster... if it and the Dyna are both twin cams, and both 03's or 88" TC's anyways, the Dyna should be faster. The softails have a counterbalanced crank because the sissies couldn't handle the vibrations of a rigid mounted Evo softail, and that robs horsepower big time, and weakens an already weak bottom end.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dunno either if this is a "Don't tread on me" bike. But it is a 94 Suziki 1400 Intruder, with 5 Gal fat tank, 21" front wheel, lowered, hard tail, chrome.

bike.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
rk2.jpg

This is my 2004 Road King Custom. The engine is bone stock with Vance & Hines mufflers. It isn't my everyday ride, just for the weekends and when I need to get away from reality. This one is the carbureted model, not the fuel injected. There is nothing like that throaty sound when it's sitting there idling at the light or when you twist the throttle.

Jim

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
My 2008 Sportster looks fast at the gas pump, thats what a local cop told me.
To which I said, enjoy how it looks here, You will never catch it on the road.

Its bright red and chrome, isnt very loud for a Harley. So just color me Gone

1 - 20 of 45 Posts