Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Biggest caliber in your safe?

24K views 134 replies 115 participants last post by  miatakix 
#1 ·
Figured I'd break this new forum in so here 'tis.

What's the biggest caliber in your safe? i.e. bore diameter.

Mine's a mere 30 cal.

#2 ·
I have a .30 caliber too and a 12-gauge. Don't know the exact diameter of that one but it is big. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 ·
My 45-70 guide gun and it will most likely stay that way as my choice of DG rifle if I should be so fortunate is .416 Remington( but I don't own that one yet.)

#7 ·
Major said:
I have a .30 caliber too and a 12-gauge. Don't know the exact diameter of that one but it is big. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I forgot about my .357 Mag.

#8 ·
SquirrelSniper said:
Figured I'd break this new forum in so here 'tis.

What's the biggest caliber in your safe? i.e. bore diameter.

Mine's a mere 30 cal.

Since you posted this to the Rifles Board I'll assume you specifically wish we stick to that. In my case it's a 444SS Marlin; bore diameter of .429"

It is a very accurate rifle with which I am VERY, VERY, ;D pleased.

#22 ·
The biggest in my gun cabinet at the moment is .72 cal. 12 Ga slug barrel for my mossberg. Shoots real good out to 100 yds or there-abouts. dont have the dial calipers handy to measure but i think its .72. I'll let you know if i find out different later.
Huntinbull

#23 ·
SquirrelSniper said:
What in THE hell are you shooting out there in the mountains LODJ?! :lol: Sounds like an interesting collection, can you post pics of any of those rifles?
Sorry I took so long to get back.

"Interesting" is about the right word. I've never had much money, but I've been at this a long time. Found out early on, that the stuff too strange for anyone else gave me the best buys. There was a time when surplus Police Special Martinis were cheap. Paid $75 for mine and found a guy who rifled it for $35. That was back before rifled shotguns were common.

Most all my stuff has a story like that. I came into a nice Franz Sodia combination gun when a fellow I knew got hired unexpectedly as a deputy in a very rough county. He had about a day's notice to get a service revolver and I had a Smith Model 58. The Sodia was a WWII bringback in his family for which ammo was unobtainable so we swapped.

Ran across a Savage bolt model 23 in .25-20. The stock had been "inlaid" with junk coins and epoxy and the action had been drilled for at least three different scope mounts so the price was very right and $25 more bought the dies and about 400 new brass.

Found a consignment Marlin 336 in a shop. It had been rebarrelled to .25-35 Imp with a medium heavy varmint barrel and restocked for a lefty with decent walnut with a rollover cheek piece. The sharp cheekpiece makes it completely unshootable for a righthander and I wound up with the rifle, mounts, dies, and some formed brass for the going price at the time for a new 336.

I'll see if I can get off my butt and take some pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.