Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
28,518 Posts
Wow, never seen anything like that, I'll be interested hearing anyone with any knowledge of what it may be. For sure, not a deer I'd be willing to dine on.

Jack

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I lived in a development in NE PA years ago. It was LOADED with deer and bear, I mean Loaded. Much of the development was 2nd homes for city people of transplanted city people. They would feed the deer all manners of junk food, pancakes, waffles, twinkes, etc, I could stand on my back porch with a potato chip bag and krinkle it up and the deer would come running. 10 to 15 of them in minutes. Had one little doe that would come up on the porch while we would eat dinner. Put it's front feet on the sliding glass door and beg.

Anyway...many of them had tumors.

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Looks like a cancer. Would not eat. Even here we look at the lungs to check for legions that are an indication of tuberculosis----Do not eat if lungs look infected.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a few more of him last night.

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No plans on either eating or killing him.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too big for a warble, I think. Those tend to be thumb sized from the ones I've seen. We have some rabbits around here with those. They're gross, but I understand they're only skin deep and don't affect the meat. But my dad always said, never kill a rabbit until after the first good freeze. That kills warbles, according to him.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was wondering it is was Chronic Wasting Disease. There's been a single deer found here that had that. But I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Virginia DWR has a reporting website. I may contact them.

Edit: actually, I can report any sick deer. I'll call them tomorrow and send a pic if they ask for one.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
I was wondering it is was Chronic Wasting Disease. There's been a single deer found here that had that. But I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Virginia DWR has a reporting website. I may contact them.

Edit: actually, I can report any sick deer. I'll call them tomorrow and send a pic if they ask for one.
Living in a CWD area for the last 15 years, I can tell you that deer is not suffering from it. Again it is way too healthy looking.
CWD affects the deers ability to eat, drink and move.
The deer in this photo has good body weight and looks to be alert.
CWD affected deer in Wisconsin are taken down quickly by the packs of coyotes we have. If you have coyotes nearby, a sick deer will not last long.
Andrew

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We don't have enough coyotes here. We've seen a couple around here in the 17 years we've been in this house. Lots of foxes., though.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Look at the abnormal horns. I wonder if that is an indication of some problem?
I know enough about deer that I can spell deer. Ironic, I spent 30 years working for Deere.......:geek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I’d ask the game warden what to do, he or she will have a vet to ask about it, but safely putting him down would seem to be the sensible thing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts