Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke at 0400 today. Dunno why, but I did. Heck, it's just about the longest amount of daylight, right close to the summer solstice and all, so a few eggs, some toast and coffee and was on the road by a few minutes after 0500. Headed up into the hills and put some distance behind me. 'Bout lost the bike three or four times. Was riding above my skill & equipment level here and there, but for the most part the 650 and I did just fine. Soaked up to my knees a couple times with water crossings.

No photos of the gnarly stuff 'cause I was hanging on for dear life! All in all, it was a great day. 380 miles and 13+ hours later, the bike and I landed back home... Wonderfully back ON PAVEMENT! :biggrin: Here's a few photos from the day:

Typical chunk of mountain road. Wildflowers were cool:

Hit a high of over 6,700' today. This mountain was higher I believe:

Old, long-abandoned cabin:

Locally famous trail/road/ridge:

Dirty bike:

What a great day!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Is that there a Ktm adventure ? I have wanted one of those for many years.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Always said those Vstrom's weren't much good.:flute: 380 miles!! Did you carry extra fuel?

What tyres are those Guy?

Nice day here, I'd love to go riding but I'm home sick (crook guts) nearly blacked out twice this morning.:vollkommenauf:

Mark.

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Deog - it's my Suzuki V-Strom 650, a 2009. I strongly considered a KTM adventure, but had my reasons for not going that route. The Suzuki has proved amazingly capable on and off pavement for 16,000+ miles now. Last year it took me on an 8-day, nearly 3,000 mile trip through the west. That trip was mostly on pavement, not entirely, but mostly.

An older photo of it:

(I'm way past the point of needing the "baddest" bike, I just like this one. It's "right" for me.)

Oz, the 'Zuki is good for at least 250 miles. I fueled up at about 220 miles today. Four gallons. So, what's that 50+ mpg in mostly off-pavement riding? I can count on 50 mpg and it's a 5+ gallon tank. Sometimes I'll manage 60+ mpg, but that's very mellow, on-pavement riding.

It really was a good ride. Dang, I've got a dirty bike to clean again. Guess I'll have to spend some time cleaning and working on the bike tomorrow. Oh darn. How awful... :biggrin:

I really do love getting out for big days on this thing!

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In the first pic the orange color fooled me. My only complaint about the ktm adventure is that it is a bit on the tall side for 5'9" guy like myself.
Looks like a fun trip, hope you enjoyed it.

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oz - those are Metzler Tourance tires. They are great for a machine that gets used time to time for dirt roads and the like. Very good touring tire in bad weather too. They handle rain very well.

I'm real pleased with them. Have used them before with satisfaction and can't think of a better all-around tire for my purposes.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I've been a Metzler fan since the 80s. My Thunderbird has Metz. marathons and they work real well but are wearing a bit fast. The rear is probable no longer leagle at 5000Km (3000Mls) but that might be due to my right wrist.:flute:

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
How are the bones feeling today Guy?

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Good to go, but I've been riding 100+ miles a week on the mountain bicycle all year.
Guy I just replied to a post of Molasses with his Honda Valk. he had some good pics but i think ya still got #1 spot :biggrin:. you sure do make that suzuki earn its keep.

GUS

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whiskers - Thanks for the compliment re the photos.

Yeah, something with a single cylinder, lighter weight, longer/taller suspension, knobby tires and lower gearing would have been a better choice for those 200 miles of dirt & rock.

Looked around the garage and didn't see anything matching, so I just made the 'Zuki earn it's keep once again! :biggrin:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nice! I thought about getting a similar bike (A Triumph Tiger) but those style bike are way too tall for my short legs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts