Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question but I'm new to marlins so here it goes. I am buying a 70's 336 and want to put a marlin factory big loop lever and the xs sights with rail on it. will they fit with out any issues.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Although I've never used a Marlin factory big loop, I have swapped 336 levers out from other 336 rifles. I don't think you'll have
any issues.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
skmarsh77 said:
Probably a stupid question but I'm new to marlins so here it goes. I am buying a 70's 336 and want to put a marlin factory big loop lever and the xs sights with rail on it. will they fit with out any issues.
Make sure it's the 336 lever and not the 1895 lever. There are enough differences in the 2 that sometimes they will interchange, and sometimes they won't.

·
Registered
173 Posts
not sure on the 70s Marlin, but on a 60s Glenfield I have, the scout mount will NOT line up (rear sight is further back towards the receiver)
not exactly 'apples to apples' but just what I ran into. my 30/30 is a 68

the large loop I have is from a 336 and it swapped in without issue

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Halwg said:
Make sure it's the 336 lever and not the 1895 lever. There are enough differences in the 2 that sometimes they will interchange, and sometimes they won't.

Actually there's really not that much difference.....the 1895 lever should work fine on the 336 as long as it's a .30-30.......some may require "minor" fitting to interchange, but it's same action....the 1895 just has a bigger ejection port.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
six_gunz said:
Actually there's really not that much difference.....the 1895 lever should work fine on the 336 as long as it's a .30-30.......some may require "minor" fitting to interchange, but it's same action....the 1895 just has a bigger ejection port.
As I said, they will work on some guns and not on others. I've tried to interchange them and some guns won't interchange. I'm sure one could get it to work with some fitting, but the point is to simply drop it in. Mine was a cautionary note to try before you buy.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I'm surprised they wouldn't interchange for you Hal..... When looking for parts to do a straight stock conversion I tried several different changes and all the 1895 trigger plates and levers all worked fine.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I just put a Marlin big loop on my 1961 SC and it fit a lot better than OJ's shrunken glove :eek:. It was a perfect fit and looks pretty darn good.

bjm

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called marlin today they told me that the big loop levers aren't in stock right now but they would ship one out when they come in. only bad thing if anyone is looking to get one is they have to ship it to an ffl they wont ship in to general public.

·
Registered
173 Posts
unless you just want spankin' brand new...
I threw up a 'WTB' on the want ads, and I had an answer in just a few days...
hardly looked used at all...

plus I see them come up for sale or trade at a decently regular clip....

just my cents...

if you're needing a scout mount..i might have one for sale or trade soon lol... ;D

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Warm up the bottom of the lever loop and bend it outward, refinish and negate the cost with a lever that works in your gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts