Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home from work Friday, my hubby saw what appeared to be a crack in the road. When he got closer he realized that it was a rattler. That thing was stretched across the road and made no attempt to move. So doing what anybody would have, he ran over it. He got out to make sure it was dead and the darn thing raised up to strike him. He retreated to his truck to get a pry bar when the county truck came by and they ran over it twice. So, again, hubby went back to make sure it was dead (armed with the pry bar this time) and it raised up again to strike him. So he hit it, several times, with the pry bar. Feeling sure it was dead, he attempted to move it off the road. The damn thing raised its head up to strike again. He said, **** this and threw it in the back of the truck and drove the last few yards to our house. When he got here he yelled for me to get the gun. I grabbed the first gun I saw and loaded it not really paying attention to what I grabbed. That rattler raised its head for the last time just before it exploded into a million peices. Ok, so I loaded the 20 gauge with buckshot. And yes, it was a little much, but it got the job done.

This damn diamondback was over 6 feet without the head, had 11 buttons, and about as big around as a large milk carton. I don't mind snakes, never really been scared of them, but this thing frightened me.I won't be taking the boys on any of our little hikes in the woods around our house anytime soon. I just wish the darn things would go back into hibernation.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not scared of them, but I don't like them.

There seems to be an over abundance of snakes this year. That was the third big rattlesnake killed around here. And I have ran over several with the car. Just frightens me a bit with the boys always being in the yard.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Was an old saying about Rattlesnakes and Rubbers... :lol: :twisted:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
mike243 said:
most snakes are protected in tn, how about where you live :?: :shock:
Snakes are protected when there wearing kevlar.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Western Nebr commandment: Thou shalt not suffer a rattlesnake to live!

Took my younger preppy daughter to Rapid City SD last week to do tourist stuff & she wanted to see the turtles in reptile gardens. I was checking out the snake exhibits & they have a sign saying they will pay $15,000 for a live 8 foot rattlesnake of any species.

They have a 7 foot one, & I would definately only take it on with a 12 ga & field loads! SW

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I heard a story on the news this morning about snakes. Seems this woman was sitting on the couch, on her front porch, when she discovers that there are snake on the couch with her. She gets lighter fluid squirts it on the snakes and sets them on fire. Well she got rid of the snakes...the couch...and half the house, they called it a North Carolina BBQ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
729 Posts
I bet she had blonde hair too. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts