Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The proposed deer hunting regulations are out for 2011 awaiting comments. Based on the proposed regs. doe hunting has been cut back tremendously. The county I live in used to have a bag limit of 4, it's been cut to 2. 16 counties are closed to antlerless hunting. It's also proposed that the bag limit for bucks over all seasons, archery, firearm, and muzzleloader be dropped from 3 to 2.

Last year I legally shot 6 deer, it looks like this year I'll have trouble bagging 3. 2 may be a good year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for that news. I actually think this is overdue...at least for the area we hunt in Grant County. Our deer herd is down to almost nothing and I haven't even bought a license for the last 2 seasons. I still can't believe how quickly a deer herd can dwindle and maybe this will help bring it back to at least hunt-able levels.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Your lucky you dont live in CA. Doe tags are on special draw and only a very few are issued, mostly like jr hunters. We get two buck tags but your lucky if you bag a deer at all. Glad theirs like a million pigs here. If we didnt have pigs we would be out of luck.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BlueMike said:
Thanks for that news. I actually think this is overdue...at least for the area we hunt in Grant County. Our deer herd is down to almost nothing and I haven't even bought a license for the last 2 seasons. I still can't believe how quickly a deer herd can dwindle and maybe this will help bring it back to at least hunt-able levels.
Really? I hunt Harrison, Taylor, Barbour, and Lewis Counties, and there are more deer here than you can shake a stick at. Everyone was saying how the population was down, but I had absolutely no trouble filling 5 tags, and then 1 bonus deer in the Stonewall Jackson Park Controlled hunt. Looks like I may be down to shooting 2 next year. :( ???

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Halwg said:
The proposed deer hunting regulations are out for 2011 awaiting comments. Based on the proposed regs. doe hunting has been cut back tremendously. The county I live in used to have a bag limit of 4, it's been cut to 2. 16 counties are closed to antlerless hunting. It's also proposed that the bag limit for bucks over all seasons, archery, firearm, and muzzleloader be dropped from 3 to 2.

Last year I legally shot 6 deer, it looks like this year I'll have trouble bagging 3. 2 may be a good year.
Move to Ga... we have a 2 buck, 10 doe limit. I doubt you'll get bored in the woods ;D

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
My place up in Maine is 1 buck only! Feel fortunate Hal.

Look at it this way, they're preserving the future of hunting for our kids and grandkids.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
In Wyoming you can get a general buck licence and take a mule deer buck or a whitetail in some areas, or in some cases you can get an additional any whitetail tag plus the general tag and in this way you could get two bucks. Then there are additional doe fawn tags and depending on the area it could be for mule deer or whitetail but competetion is getting hard out here with the wolves. ::)SSS ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's some unscientific research about how quickly a deer herd can dwindle. On the first morning of our main deer, gun-only season, I have always counted how many gun shots I hear from sunrise (first shooting) to lunchtime. I know this is very unscientific and depends on many factors including bad weather, but it does give me a good outlook on the deer herd where we live. In the years from 1995 to about 2004 I could easily hear over 100 shots in the area I hunt during that opening 5 hours of the season. The numbers have gone steadily down since then. In the last two years (2009-2010) that count was down to about 25 and last year during perfect weather the count was 21. Not sure what this proves or what the exact causes are, but I do know it is not much fun hunting when you don't see any mature animals for days on end.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Halwg said:
Looks like I may be down to shooting 2 next year. :( ???
Looks like Hal you might have to go to your brothers place this year for an extra deer! If not, let me know, I think I can squeeze you in at my camp! ;)

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spuzzly said:
Looks like Hal you might have to go to your brothers place this year for an extra deer! If not, let me know, I think I can squeeze you in at my camp! ;)
Hi Dave. Nice to hear from you again. I have been considering hunting PA again, and this might just push me over the edge. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts