Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's now made legal for Iowa deer season:

It's now a .45 Muzzle Loader. Probably won't get to the range before Easter weekend.

I was going to use it as a switch barrel with the 7mm08 barrel that came with it, but
had to open up the stock (yes, the .45 barrel is much too big for the forearm in the
Boyd's stock) a lot. The factory barrel looks rediculous sitting in that stock now. Anyone
interested in a Marlington 7mm08 barrel? Only six shots through it...three to get on
target...and three under an inch with me shooting a wobbly prone position. I know it
can do better than that. Just took it out that once to see if it would give accuracy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Click Click Boom said:
Looks good!
Looks like it could play switch barrel with a varmint barrel though.
Am considering that, again, in 7mm08, but some cost more than the XS7 did!!

janott said:
Looks good but, where's yer ram-rod? ;D ;D ;D
Why, it's folded up in a pouch which attaches to my belt, of course!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be using lighter smokeless loads with .40 200gr XTP's in Harvester
sabots to begin with. Need to get a feel for how she takes charges.
Wouldn't be a good idea to take the 195gr Barnes Expanders to
2900fps right away. ;D ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank-you, DD. Means a lot coming from you. Yes, the breech plug came from PR Bullet
and uses .473 head cases for "primer holders". They use the same setup for the smokeless
muzzle loaders that they make, using Remington 700 actions.

I will be shooting smokeless loads using 200gr .40 saboted bullets. The recoil will be
much less than what you are used to with your bullet and load.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, this is a lot of fun. Some of it really makes me use the ol' noggin! Have been
a shooter and reloader since the mid '60's, but have only been doing this type of
playing for about eight years.

You mention the 10MLII. Thanks to the guys on Doug's Message Boards, that rifle
gave me my start on playing 'smith. ;D First thing was to bed the action, and
about four years ago, switched out the barrel to a .45 PacNor. That gave it true
center fire accuracy. It also gives some pretty impressively scary velocities, sending
a 195gr Barnes Expander to over 2900fps. Bad Bull, Swinglock, and Richard's Custom
Guns have more impressive results, but then, they are custom rifles.

Was going to use this rifle as a switch barrel using the original 7mm08 XS7 barrel, but
look at the photos where the forearm and .45 barrel meet. The XS7 barrel looks
rediculous sitting in that hogged out channel. Am thinking of selling the stock barrel
and replacing with a Criterion 7mm08 varmint barrel. Ever use one of those button
rifled barrels from Krieger?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.