Marlin Firearms Forum banner

big bore revolvers

5K views 51 replies 32 participants last post by  rockcop 
#1 ·
I've never shot anything bigger than 44 mag, and don't currently own any revolvers, but I want to get a big bore.

454 Casull vs 475 Linebaugh vs 480 Ruger vs 500 S&W

I've read that 480 Ruger has the least vicious recoil of that lot.

Anyone with experience in any of those, I welcome your input.

#2 ·
I like the .454 Casull even though I don't own one. Have a friend that owns one in a Super Redhawk and I've fired it a bunch and don't find it particularly abusive. You can also load .45 Colt in it for light practice rounds. You forgot the .460 S&W Magnum which I believe will also fire .454 Casull and .45 Colt but you'll have to do some research on that one.

Stu

Reactions: sgt_zim
#3 ·
You must still be a young & strong fella! LOL! I've settled down to the .357 magnum as my top end regularly fired caliber, with some .41 magnums fired on good days. (handguns that is)

Once old "arthur" gets settled down in your hands & wrists, you'll understand and remember this word of advice. Limit the long drawn out sessions of shooting those boomers to when it first starts to "tingle a little". Otherwise your old man days will make it darn right painfully to shoot those monsters.

They are fun for sure, but unless you keep your grip and wrist strong enough to absorb the punishment, your joints will pay the price. I think any one of those would do for a nice range toy/deer slayer. The 454 and 44 magnums were to top end of easy to get handguns in my day. The 454 will also let you shoot the milder 45 colt IIRC. Not sure if the others have a "light load". But good luck, have fun and share some pictures of what you settle on.

#4 ·
I own two 44 magnums. Both S&W. One scoped and the other Performance Center with open sights. I shoot "rabbit fart" loads and full house loads from both, and have used both hunting deer. IMHO, with the proper grip, and providing the user has no health issues the 44 magnums are a joy to shoot many rounds at the range.

I've never owned the S&W 500 or 460 "X-Frame" revolvers, but I have shot them. With the additional weight of the X-Frame these revolvers are nice to shoot. I shot both with factory ammo and found the recoil of the bigger X-Frame to be not as harsh as the 44 mag......even tho I don't regard the 44-mag as "harsh." I guess the X-Frame revolvers are more of a quick push than the recoil of the 44-mag.

I believe the recoil of the large bore Casull's and Linebaugh's are from the fact that they are built on the same size of frame that the S&W and the Ruger's are built on. That being said you're now shooting a caliber with much more Ka-boom (yes.....that is a technical term :embarassed: ) in the "smaller" Ruger frame.

Then again, if you reload you can always load down a pile of rounds for target and range shooting.

#5 ·
Sgt Zim,

All that you mention are nice powerful revolvers, but too specialized for me..........

By specialized, I mean they are hunting calibers,.........not plinking, target or self defense calibers.....

Yeah they are big .........and heavy, and I wouldn't go near one without hearing protection in any situation.........

I see a few at the Range from time to time, and most owners I talk to bought them 'cuz they are big and loud...........haven't met any owner yet who actually hunts with one, and that's really what they were made for.

Hey, I'm 73....Too old to learn new tricks........So, and when I want to shoot a "big" handgun (to me).........its a 10MM or 45 Colt...........The Colt I can tolerate one or two shots in the field w/o hearing protection....The 10 MM, not so much....

I do own a Colt Anaconda 44 Mag that hasn't seen any Range or Hunting time in almost 30 years, and I don't miss shooting it, either........I hunted with it in a belt rig, and it kept pulling in pants down!.............NOT a comfortable thing !

Good Luck in your choice, but I hope you have a real "use" for a gun like that............Don't just buy it for bragging rights, as I think so many do.........

Tom

#7 ·
I've got several 44mgs. Only shoot magnum load JHPs in a old 3screw Ruger SBH. The S&Ws are tuned for target with cast. I have had many of the mega magnums but don't keep them long. Like to touch off a box to say I did. Last was 500 S&W. I was not impressed. I haven't owned 460 S&W but shot one and I was impressed. For me I don't need bigger than 44mg. If I was buying a mega magnum I would go with 460S&W. I'm not a fan of Dan Wesson either but I had a 445 super mag that shot well.

#9 ·
I've shot them all, my neighbors own a selection. And didn't like them. My .44 Mag SBH is stout enough for this kid. Surprisingly, a very heavy loaded .480 Ruger in a DA revolver hurt my wrist bones worse than all the others. It's got a vicious straight back recoil, due to the shape of the grip. Heavy loaded SA revolvers are easier to take, they swivel.

Give 'em a try if you can before you buy. See how it goes.

#12 ·
Been thinking about Blackhawk, but I've heard Ruger has been having QA issues with their revolvers the last 4 or 5 years. Anything to that?

#10 ·
I don't have any of those listed, however I do have a BFR 45/70 that I bought back in 2002.

It shoots well and recoil was not as bad as I expected, the difference that some attribute to using rifle vs pistol powder making recoil more of push than snap.

I was thinking of selling it a few years back since I wasn't using it but then the conservation department added Centerfire handguns as an allowed method to what used to be our black powder season, changing the name to Alternative methods. Since then I've been carrying it in the woods when hunting that season. I haven't had the opportunity to take anything with it yet which may be just as well because the thought of firing it in a hunting situation is daunting.

Attachments

#16 ·
Make sure the barrel of what you buy can shoot lead - polygonal rifling like the Glocks lead up in a hurry to the point where a single magazine can potentially cause a catastrophic failure.

Reactions: Travlin
#14 ·
OP: rent one first.

I had a big Jones for a Super Redhawk 44 mag...
Rented one and bought one box of ammo...

That was enough.
I did *NOT* like shooting that thing... it registered a Big Zero on my fun meter.

#15 ·
44 is plenty big enuf for me. I load from mild to full-snort wild and it's not a PITA to shoot either way.
I was just thinking I need to load me up another batch of full-snort with 300gn cast.
Good excuse to cast since the weather has finally cooled.

Reactions: rob42049
#18 ·
The problem with the big bores like the 500 is that they are way too big and heavy to pack. If I was looking for protection hands down it would be one of those scandium 44 mags. I got a 500. It is a fun range toy but it is very impractical and would never see field use. Of the ones that you listed the 454 is the most practical for ammo flexibility but there is nothing in NA that cannot be killed with the 44 mag.

#20 ·
I have a Super RedHawk in 480 Ruger and plan to to carry it along while deer hunting next month. Last weekend I ran a few rounds thru it and would feel comfortable using it out to 40 yards or so.

I've never shot any of the other calibers you mentioned in a revolver so can't compare the 480 to them, but have heard the same reference that it is a more manageable round in a hand gun.

You definitely know your shooting a big bore hand gun, but I don't find it terribly uncomfortable to shoot.

#22 ·
I was a magnum fan back in the day (357, 41, and 44) but either I've become a total wuss or I just don't feel the need for the extra speed. Zillions of buffalo were killed with black powder guns tossing big fat slugs at 1200 fps or less, and they killed just fine. A 240-grain slug out of a 44 Special at 1100 fps does about all I need a handgun to do. I have a 10mm I like to load up, but after 30-40 rounds I'm done. Back in the day I shot 100-200 rounds of hot 44 mags in a day, not i wonder why, except to see what I could hit at distance. Clays at 100 yards were fun! These days a 357 has more buck and roar than I need for most things. I guess I'm 62 going on 75. :bandit:

#25 ·
I've had 44 magnums for 30+ years, and to me the S&W 629 with the 5" barrel is "just right."

I frequently pack it with me when I'm hiking, fishing, camping in bear country. It's fun to shoot, easy to load for. I used to qualify with it pretty much every year on our police qual course, using speedloaders & double-action shooting. FUN! Have taken a couple of mule deer does with it. No prob. A buddy has the Ruger Redhawk, I was right with him when he killed a black bear at 4 yards... :) BOOM!

Had a 500 S&W for quite a few years, but as others have said, it turned out to be just a range toy. I kinda wanted to hunt with it, but never did.

Big bore revolvers are fun. I've also loaded some warm 45 Colt loads for the Ruger Blackhawk my son carries. That thing is a hoot.

Regards, Guy

#28 ·
I probably should have added this to my earlier post in the thread.

When I take my 45/70 hunting I have the holster rig below. Even though the it weighs about 5.5lbs as a whole it's really pretty comfortable to wear that way. That said, I am only walking back in to my woods about a 1/4 mile I think where I'm going to sit for the day and then back out. I'm not hiking around with it all day long.

Attachments

#33 ·
Thanks for posting that - I'm thinking a shoulder holster is the way to go since I don't have enough hips anymore to hold up a traditional gun belt. ;)
What brand?

Reactions: Mavrik and rob42049
#31 ·
On 25 February 1965, Robert E Petersen, publisher of Petersen's Hunting, Hot Rod, and several other magazines became the first person in history to kill a Polar Bear with a .44 Magnum. The hunt took place in Alaska, above the Arctic Circle. His bear can be seen in the Smithsonian Institution, it stands twelve feet tall. Petersen quickly unloaded his Model 29, all six shots to the heart and chest area, and witnesses say the bear didn't move very far at all after being shot. If I remember correctly, Petersen was shooting stock Remington 240 grain half-jackets, a common load in those days.

Polar bear Bear Polar bear Carnivore Fur
Gun Revolver Airsoft gun Trigger Machine

#32 ·
On 25 February 1965, Robert E Petersen, publisher of Petersen's Hunting, Hot Rod, and several other magazines became the first person in history to kill a Polar Bear with a .44 Magnum. The hunt took place in Alaska, above the Arctic Circle. His bear can be seen in the Smithsonian Institution, it stands twelve feet tall. Petersen quickly unloaded his Model 29, all six shots to the heart and chest area, and witnesses say the bear didn't move very far at all after being shot. If I remember correctly, Petersen was shooting stock Remington 240 grain half-jackets, a common load in those days.
Prolly helped if the bear was considerate and stood up like he is posed. Otherwise trying to reach vitals from the front of a galloping bruin is something I hope to never experience.
I've heard incidentally to never try for a head shot since their skull is sloped and very thick. Anyone know if that's true or not?

#36 ·
I own and shoot the big bore revolvers so feel free to ask anything you want. I have been shooting the 500 Linebaugh back when you had to make the shells from 348 Win shells and cast your own slugs because of the 511 diameter. I also shoot 454 Casull and have a custom Freedom arms premier grade with “Kodak Express” on the barrel factory magnaported. Have one 500 Built by John Linebaugh and a 2nd one by John Gallagher. The 475 kicks more in terms of pain than a 500. I also shoot 50AE and DE 429 in a Mark 19 Desert Eagle so in terms of big bore on a semi auto I also have some trigger time there. Also reload for all of them. We’re you going the custom route or just want to buy something over the counter ?

#39 ·
With two big bore pistols, one a revolver in 454 and one a single shot bolt action XP-100 SSK Industries, by JD Jones in 358 WM, both are manageable with ported barrels. The only time either are carried are in shoulder holsters while bear hunting in the thickets here in the mountains and as a primary weapon for a treed bear. Easier to carry than a rifle straight up and down crawling through laurel thickets. Other than that use neither would be carried at all.

#40 ·
Recoil just depends on the momentum/blast of the cartridge versus that of the gun itself, so you can shoot rounds out of ANY of those big-bore guns and not have crazy recoil, IF you stick to reasonable loads and if your gun is heavy (which most of them are unless you get a really short barrel).

I have a 500 Smith&Wesson levergun (Big Horn Model 89) but the 44 Mag out of a 7" Redhawk or Super Blackhawk with Bisley Grips is about all I want to shoot using 'factory loads'. However just as I can tame the 44 Mag guns by shooting 44 Special level loads, and STILL get a big chunk of lead out at a decent penetrating/lethal velocity, I suppose I could get a 500 S&W and shoot loads that would not exceed the 240 grain factory 44 Mag load's recoil from a Redhawk.

If you don't handload then it makes it more difficult or expensive to load 'down' to the recoil level you tolerate best, but hand loading is a good idea anyway for lots of reasons.

Reactions: Davetm and rob42049
#41 ·
Here's my 2 cents worth, I have shot 44 magnums, 454 Casull, and 480 Ruger and a few other so called big bore pistols, If I really felt I needed a big bore I would choose the 480 Ruger, the 454 Casull is frankly to me painful to shoot, the 44 Magnum is okay in a heavy frame pistol/ revolver. But if I were to just carry a "big bore" revolver for everyday, I would find a quality 44 special, it'll knock down almost anything in the lower 48 plus recoil is so a quick follow up shot can be made

#42 ·
I've got a Ruger SR in .44 mag with a 5 1/2 barrel. The normal fare of rounds are comfortable to shoot. I did bring it on an elk hunt in western Wyoming and brought Buffalo Bore 340 grain +P+ hard casts. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and although I can "handle" the recoil it did some damage to the inside of my hand. I wasn't even aware of it until I went to the range for the second time. The first shot felt like someone stuck an ice pick through my hand. I hoped I wasn't holding it right so I took another shot. That was a mistake. Opened the cylinder and emptied the remaining 4 rounds. I can't imagine needing any more than the Buffalo Bores can deliver.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#45 ·
I've got a Ruger SR in .44 mag with a 5 1/2 barrel. The normal fare of rounds are comfortable to shoot. I did bring it on an elk hunt in western Wyoming and brought Buffalo Bore 340 grain +P+ hard casts. I'm 5'11" 210lbs and although I can "handle" the recoil it did some damage to the inside of my hand. I wasn't even aware of it until I went to the range for the second time. The first shot felt like someone stuck an ice pick through my hand. I hoped I wasn't holding it right so I took another shot. That was a mistake. Opened the cylinder and emptied the remaining 4 rounds. I can't imagine needing any more than the Buffalo Bores can deliver.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There is a small bunch of us in our club that shoot exotic big bore hand guns and we are all too happy to help newcomers into pushing the limits of hand gun power. Like our standard greeting goes to all newcomers: "Welcome to the House Of Pain" ! Also, applicable to big bore Safari Rifles too !

Reactions: Maineiac
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.