Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Scott ...

I have seen the bipod in several of your pictures when you are at the range. Do you ever use any bags or rests of any kind other than the bipod? Just wondering ...
Doug,

I generally use the bipod while shooting clays and blocks of wood because I have to move the rifle around a lot for point of aim. When I'm shooting paper I primarily use bags. I'm thinking of getting a tripod front rest soon so I can compete better in the 2012 shoot.:biggrin:

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I took my guide gun out yesterday too, Tested out a new to me 30-30 (shoots great) and tested some new loads in my .300. All in all, a good day. Since I haven't had the GG very long I'd only fired the LE ammo that came with it. I got some 405 grain reloads from my dad and they shoot so much better than the LE stuff to me. Less recoil and same point of impact at 100 yards. That was a surprise to me. I expected a little drop.
How much of a difference do the ports make on a GG? I've never had the opportunity to fire one with them. Do they reduce felt recoil any or just reduce muzzle rise?

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I took my guide gun out yesterday too, Tested out a new to me 30-30 (shoots great) and tested some new loads in my .300. All in all, a good day. Since I haven't had the GG very long I'd only fired the LE ammo that came with it. I got some 405 grain reloads from my dad and they shoot so much better than the LE stuff to me. Less recoil and same point of impact at 100 yards. That was a surprise to me. I expected a little drop.
How much of a difference do the ports make on a GG? I've never had the opportunity to fire one with them. Do they reduce felt recoil any or just reduce muzzle rise?
grilla, the ported models reduce muzzle jump which to some also reduces felt recoil somewhat. I've recently fired a couple of unported Guide Guns (1895G & 1895M) with same ammo in my ported models. I absolutley can see and feel the difference. I will always prefer a factory ported Guide Gun - but would never turn down any Marlin Guide Gun built before 2009.

1895gunner

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mine is a remlin and I've has issues with it but it shoots good now, I really can not complain about the open sight 100 yard group.. Everything else is just cosmetics now and I will deal with that myself in time.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts