Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK you guys with the .450s,45-70s and 444s when you go to the range/shooting do you use a lead sled or do you man up and use your shoulder. I just bought a 444 a couple weeks ago and now have a 45-70 Cowboy on the way. I am thinking my shoulder is gonna get sore in the next couple weeks. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Other than sighting in / verifying zero, I never shoot my iron-sighted .45-70 from the bench. Just doesn't seem right. So it's mostly offhand standing for me (and recoil is more tolerable too).

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
We only use the sled to zero sights. Everything else is either off-hand or with sticks. I've never had a sore shoulder after a day at the range though--possibly because the smile on my face stretches the skin and the experience produces a serotonin dump to numb any pain).

Reactions: lescarpentier

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I love shooting my 444 at the range. It's a real thrill and makes everyone take notice. I can't afford a 375 H-H or a 458 winny but the triple four more than makes up. There are a few tricks that will make shooting more fun for you.
Buy or install a good recoil pad like a white line or other firm magnum pad.
Sit up straight at the bench. You just about double the felt recoil by leaning into the gun. If you sit up with your back straight you let the gun push you instead of shoving you into the chair.
Don't spare the bags. Make a log cabin to stack the gun high up on so you can sit up straight.
If your a right handed shooter put. Bag under your right elbow. It helps.
Use a butt bag. Put a bag under the guns butt stock and squeeze it to help hold elevation.
Lastly and maybe most important pull the stock into the pocket of your shoulder. To find the pocket raise your shooting arm, place your other hand open and thumb up like you would shaking hands into your arm pit. Lower your strong side arm. Your thumb should be straight up and down and resting on the pocket of your shoulder.

Good luck. Recoil desinsitivity takes time. Dry fire about ten times, fire a live round, dry fire ten more and another live round. It takes time!

·
Registered
589 Posts
the only padding I used is whatever coat or shirt I'm wearing. I take a bit more beating but on the plus side it saves me money since I can't shoot as long.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
PAST Recoil Pad.
Makes it So Much More Fun.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Vic in Va

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

First. the Lead Sled will often give you a point of impact (POI) that is different than shooting from the shoulder. Sight in according to the way that you intend to use the gun.

Second, with the big bore guns velocity is NOT you friend. It has been proven in several test that penetration decreases rapidly as velocity exceeds 1500 fps. So why abuse yourself with the macho loads? My 45-70 at 1450 fps will penetrate about 18 gallon jugs of water with a cast bullet. So how many will my 300 Win Mag at 3100 fps penetrate? 5 is the most it has done. And it makes a disgusting jelly out of the entire chest cavity of larger game.

The 45-70 is an amazing cartridge at black powder velocities for which it was designed. If you shoot the 45-70 long enough you will eventually understand what many of us old duffers are saying.

JB

·
Registered
969 Posts
Take a 416 Rigby and a box of 400g DGS and shoot them first. Then break out the 444M and you will not even notice when it goes off.:flute: I do this from time to time but I usually put the Rigby up after 3 or 4 shots, dang thing kicks worse than my 458WM.:vollkommenauf:

BB

Reactions: GrondHamar

·
Registered
79 Posts
wannaBelkhuntin,

I position my practice shots like my hunting shots. Use a rest(forearm and trigger hand)-- set upright-- have the gun snug into yhour shoulder and let it push you back.
REM

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I can't hold my 45-70 or 30-30 steady anymore free standing since my stroke in jan so it either bullbag or tripod at the range or hunting. lead sled just for sighting in. an recoil does not bother me at all since I use to shoot 300 weatherby mag rifle a lot.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Shoulder with a front rest and NOW with a new and improved *anything* under my right elbow that gets it away from the concrete bench :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Load work, testing loads for accuracy you need a bench, once the accurate load is known then shoot anyway you like!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You don`t use a " lead sled" when hunting............... J s/n. Man up. Your the one that bought the "large bore."
I didn't just buy 1, I bought a 444 and a 45-70. Hey on TV they use a lead sled to shoot antelope with..... That's not huntin to me.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I guess I'm a gluttin' for punishment, it's just me and I have never owned a sled etc....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I drape a folded towel over my shoulder if I shot from a bench or sighting in over my truck hood.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I don't use a shooting rest other than a sandbag. If you put a rifle with heavy recoil on a shooting rest that is heavy enough to restrict the recoil it may split your stock. Recoil energy has to go somewhere & it'll go to the least resistance, that could be your stock.
Past makes a great recoil pad that you slip over your shoulder, I use it a lot or as has been suggested drape a towel over your shoulder. I have found while resting on sandbags if you grip the forearm then rest the back of your hand on the sandbag it'll limit felt recoil some too.
Good shooting be careful with the shooting rests that are heavy enough to restrict recoil.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
When testing loads from the bench, I build the rests up to sit as upright as possible and just put something between the butt and my shoulder. When practicing shooting the rifle from different positions, I just shoot the gun as I would in the field.

·
Super Moderator
16,878 Posts
First time out with the 444 it beat the day lights out of me, Installed a Pachmeyer recoil pad, things a walk in the park to shoot now! As to the 45/70, a Past pad works wonders taking out the sting. Mr fixit
Tan Brown Wood Leather

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.