Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new bike awhile back, to give me the encouragement for this old timer to exercise more. We have some great new bike and hiking trails in my area, and iam exploring them a little at a time.
I will post pictures of my rides, here, and anyone that has a bike can join in, and talk about bikes / rides / trips etc.
Along this trail they have historical information on the area, they built the trail in my area on an old train track section, iam really enjoying these trips.
Plant Branch Road surface Tree Thoroughfare
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim
Plant Ecoregion Nature Tree Natural environment

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea NP! I ride quite a bit in the summer. My knees don't seem to like me running everyday so I mix it up with bike rides. Seems to work for this 73 year old. My bike of choice is a Trek Domane road bike. Will try to remember to get a pic on my next ride.

Padraig
The bike shop I use sells Trek bikes, there shop isn't to far from the bike trail, it runs from NYC to Buffalo., the elect train trail iam on runs from Albany to Hudson I believe.

·
Premium Member
12,489 Posts
I was an enthusiastic cyclist for years! Thoroughly enjoyed pounding out the miles on either my road bike or my mountain bike. :)

Neck injury made the road bike very uncomfortable for me to ride, but I can ride the far more upright mountain bike just fine still.

Even so, I haven't done much riding since I got my "rescue pup" hunting dog a couple of years ago. His near daily walks reawakened my interest in hiking. So his walks became my hikes and also really helped with my wildlife photography. It all kinda fell into place just a couple of years ago. I miss the long road-bike rides, but not much. I do long hikes now. :)

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cannondale road bike I used for 25 years or so. Great bike, just a 12 speed, geared towards the faster end of things, not so great for climbing steep hill. But dang, my legs got strong! LOL!
Thanks for posting Guy, there's nothing better than having your buddy out for a hike / walk, I miss my walking partner.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Suggest you consider a pair of cycling shoes. They are lightweight and the soles are ridged. This helps energy transfer to the pedals without bending your foot on the pedal and also keeps your feet from getting as tired and sore. You might also consider a basket for your toes on the pedals. This also gives some additional power on the upward part of the pedal cycle.

I used to use the cleats which locked onto the pedals. Those really helped efficiency. But while they don't take long to learn to use, they take considerable experience to get good at. My last bad wreck was from falling over at a stop sign when I couldn't get my foot unclipped. Thought I broke my leg (didn't) but I had to get a ride home.

However, I do recommend the cycling shoes the the toe baskets.

Emjoy!

·
Premium Member
12,489 Posts
Always rode with cleats on the road bikes. Look pedals/cleats.

My last road bike for a few years was a Specialized Roubaix. Wow... What a bike! :) Best I ever rode.

Mountain bike? Just plain ol' pedals. Often wear my hiking boots when I'm riding that ol' Made-in-USA Trek. It's a good old bike. We get along just fine. Sometimes I want to hop off and walk for a bit. :)

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your input. My last crash was turning around on a narrow road, and I ran out of road, and what I couldn't see was on the shoulder were deep ruts, in the grass, down I went.
I have a fused ankle, and that limits my ability to pump the pedals with all my power, have to sit on the seat, when I ride.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
37 degrees this morning, going to wait about a hour, before I jump on my bike, heading in a different direction this morning hope to reach North Chatham this morning should be some interesting historical info along the way.
Put my second coat of ceramic chain wax on my chain, see how this holds up.
Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ready to hit the trail, iam not going to do the hole 750 miles today, I've got work to do in my swamp, plus I left my bottle of chain wax home
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle frame
Green Product Font Plant Line

Reactions: vt4ster

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Plant Daytime Plant community Ecoregion Green
Bicycle Wheel Plant Tire Land vehicle
Just finished my morning ride 13.4 miles, whT a beautiful ride, seen lot's of wildlife deer, bunnies, birds, and in 13 miles of riding, only passed one other rider, and one walker.
I don't use an app. On my phone, mite check into that, this morning s ride was fantastic, iam afraid iam going to go to far, and not make it back to my truck.
Have my next section all planed, can't wait!.
I road down to North Chatham's historic Electric train depot ,my mother use to ride this train into Albany when she was a teenager.
Don't know why but it's taking forever to upload a picture, never use to.!
Sky Plant Leaf Nature Tree
Sky Plant Tree Land lot Natural landscape
Plant community Nature Leaf Natural landscape Plant

Reactions: vt4ster
1 - 20 of 54 Posts