Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to ask on this mix any one have any idea the BHN
I use 6 lbs of wheel weights with 4 lbs of linotype. Not the same formula as Lyman #2 but about the same hardness.

·
Registered
910 Posts
that should be very hard, with gas checks i use 50/50 wheel weights and scrap lead

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
6lbs of COWW + 4lbs of Linotype = 15.2 bhn (air cooled) will be in the very high 20's water quenched.

The difference between your alloy and Lyman #2

Lyman #2 = 5% Tin, 5% Antimony, 90% Lead
Yours = 1.9% Tin, 6.60% Antimony, .15 Arsenic, 91.4% Lead

Your would heat treat way up there in the mid to high 30's bhn but the Antimony to Tin ratio is way off

Doc

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
If you want to get almost Lyman #2 then you need to add 2lb of pure lead and .5lb of Tin
That would make it
5.52% Tin, 5.28% Antimony, .12 Arsenic, 89.1 Lead = 15.1 bhn
And it would heat treat better then lyman #2 because you would have the Arsenic which helps in heat treating

Doc

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
You see, Doc? I KNEW you had this answer! Good Job!

Jeff

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Im sure they should run through your 30-30 just fine. Have you slugged your rifle bore? That is the best and easiest way to find out what size cast boolit will run through your rifle.

Doc

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did slug the bore last summer and tried 3 different lead bullets .309 .310 .311 funny thing the .309 did shoot the best at FPS around 1500 and the lead was a little softer.
I do not cast so I have to look for guys that do cast,My buddie did cast me a few softer bullet and did state do not push them hard other wise you may get barrel leading.
This batch was casted from RCBS mold 30-150-FN I think they weigh out at 157 grains Sized .310", gas check installed, lubed
I think they ran around 150 round for $21.00 bucks
I give them a shot but I would of like a softer BHN around 12
I would like to ask if these bullet run good what do I need to tell the caster to change the mix to? for eastern whitetails out to 100 yards

Gun is a 1984 Marlin 30-30

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
With what he has at 6# COWW and 4# Linotype, he would need to add 10lbs of pure lead and add .25# of Tin.... That will balance the Tin and Antimony out a little and get you to a bhn of 12.2 Air cooled.....

Or just tell him to stop adding the Linotype in and just use COWW's with 1% Tin added and you will be fine... BHN of 12.1

Tell him to add the Linotype to 2.5 X pure lead and add 1% Tin and he will get about the same as the others 12.6 bhn and they will cast nicely

EDIT: This is just my opinion and should be taken as so... I would not want to upset a fellow caster!! With a bhn of 12 you will probably get boolit skidding and leading if you push the boolit too fast, This is what I am dealing with at the moment... I am working with alloy that Air cools at 12 to 13 and water quenches at 20 to 21 after a few months.... I have a 35 Rem that I want to shoot my cast from but want the boolits for hunting not just target shooting, Water quenched would be perfect for the pressure that the 35 Rem creates... 35000 CUP, But will not expand when hitting game. I am trying to work on what will work best and how to achieve it.

Doc

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
The way I got excellent expansion in a 30-30 was to use a heavier bullet ie 188 grains. I used about 1/2 WW and 1/2 pure lead with a bit of tin to make them flow better but I heat treated the bullets. For hunting you place those bullets you want to hunt with in a pan of water to cover the bases and use a propane torch to anneal the noses. You may lose a few but they can be recast anyway. With this formula I got escellent expansion on a nice deer at 140 steps from the tree. The deer went down and was laying on its stomach when I found it. Must not have taken a couple of steps. Shot other deer with that bullet with good success also. May try about 2-1 WW to lead. Had no leading. I also like to use the Lee liquid Alox as well as a good bullet lube. I think its coating of the whole bullet helps. The exception to that is for my 38-55 which hates the stuff.

DEP

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Yup, Tried that once and works... I wanted to find a way to do a lot of boolits at a time and easier. Putting the base in water and heating the nose without melting is a very time consuming way to do it.

Doc

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
Another couple cents worth. A lot of speculation on what will and will not expand on game. My bullets as a general rule are mostly wheelweights and water dropped. My 32Wspl dropped a deer and two antelope in their tracks at over 100 yards each. The elk it dropped took a 2nd shot because I blew the first shot too far back. She was running broadside at 150 yards. Last day of the season in a nasty snowstorm. I gave in and took the shot. UGH! Hit her hip at the joint, drove a piece of hipbone clean through and left a softball sized exit hole. You are not shooting elk. The deer and antelope were dead when they hit the ground. All broadside, shoulder/lung area. Exit holes were big enough for any finger, from a 32caliber bullet. I think they expanded. But whether or not, they were just as dead. I think we get way too hung up on bullet expansion. Place your shot and start carving...

Jeff

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Jeff, that is awesome news.... this is the smallest size boolit I have ever cast for and was worried about expansion, I'm used to BIG boolits like 44 and 45 caliber. It will be so easy to just water drop, size and lube... I guess if I wanted to I could still do the base in water and a pen tourch to the nose!

Doc

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
Doc, that is what Paco Kelly does. He prefers a soft nose but likes to drive them hard. Lots of ways to trim a tree....

Jeff

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
You really do not have to anneal the whole batch. When I would load up hunting rounds I would maybe anneal 10 bullets. The rest work well for sight in and casual shooting. Generally only used a couple of bullets that were annealed to get deer.

DEP

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use BHN 16 -18 in my 30-30, 32 spl and 35 Rem lever actions. Any blacktails I have hit have only gone about 10 yds before dropping. Last buck I shot I hit in the neck and he dropped on the spot. I use GC'd boolits only. I don't use any jacketed bullets except for plinking loads and when the ones I have are gone, they are gone. I like FP's or HP's for hunting.

·
Super Moderator
6,348 Posts
I like flat nosed and round nose flat points. Flat nosed seem to hit harder, round nose flat points tend to feed better in the tube magazines. They both are good hunting bullets. Most of my jacketed stash has been gifted away, except for what goes in the bolt guns. Did I mention I prefer cast bullets for all shooting?

Jeff

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spoke with my friend and he stated just to try the .310 if they run great then he will mix a 4 to1 ww to lino on my next batch

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I use BHN 16 -18 in my 30-30, 32 spl and 35 Rem lever actions. Any blacktails I have hit have only gone about 10 yds before dropping. Last buck I shot I hit in the neck and he dropped on the spot. I use GC'd boolits only. I don't use any jacketed bullets except for plinking loads and when the ones I have are gone, they are gone. I like FP's or HP's for hunting.
Then I will up the pure lead a bit so I get a good 18 bhn for my 35 Rem boolits...

Doc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts