Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on the Magnum Research page and saw the ballistics for the .450 Marlin/45-70.Awesome.The pistols have interchangeable cylinders for either the .450 Marlin or 45-70.They say the 45-70 can be loaded to #2 loads which is 40,000 CUP as the Marlin is loaded to 43,500.The factory Marlin ammo(350 Hornady) gives 1800+ fps out of the 10 inch pistol with less recoil than the .454 Casull.

Just think of a pistol that shoots a 550 grain hardcast at 1300 fps+ and a 400 grain over 1700 fps.WOW!!!The 300 grain would be 2,000 fps.

I may sell my Taurus Raging Bull 6.5 inch .454 and all the goodies such as 2-holsters(One leather w/ ammo belt and one shoulder)Dies-Bullets(100+300 gr Speers-50 360 grain JB Hardcast)Ammo(Two boxes of Cor-Bon-300 sp and 335 HC)-Powder and a Burris Speed Dot scope.In excellent condition.

Whats it worth?

Jayco.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Jayco, since it is obvious your 454 is terribly under powered for anything other than squill I think you should just send it to me as I don't think anyone would want to buy it. After all, with the 500 S&W, 450 Marlin, and the 45/70 it is really clear that the 454 is obsolete. I'll even pay the ffl fee, shipping and handling, and insurance. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nightrain52 said:
Jayco, since it is obvious your 454 is terribly under powered for anything other than squill I think you should just send it to me as I don't think anyone would want to buy it. After all, with the 500 S&W, 450 Marlin, and the 45/70 it is really clear that the 454 is obsolete. I'll even pay the ffl fee, shipping and handling, and insurance. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tempting buttttttttttttttt!!!!I'll have to sleep on that one.

Jayco.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey JC,

I bought one of the BFRs in 45/70 last year. It is a BLAST to shoot.

Mine has the 7" barrel, and is very manageable. It always gets a
response from the crowd at the range, when I shoot it.

Mine did not come drilled and tapped for scope mount. Maybe the 10" does, but you may want to find out from Magnum Research.

If you do get one, you will have to spend more time at the reloading bench! It's more addictive than the 1895GS, and that's a LOT.

Best to you.

Sledge

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sledge-I hear you on that one.I shoot my .454 all the time and my kids friends beg to shoot it.I'd hate to have to pick between the two guns but I'd like to have the 45-70 BFR sometime.Make less time at the bench for me.Just one round to load.

Jayco.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Jay, I spent a little time at the Magnum Research site and I'm impressed with the way you get the big bullets down range with less pressure. I don't understand how that works.....could you expound on that? I gotta say, a BFR in 45-70 would be neat. Bear 45-70 let me shoot his T/C in 45-70 with moderate loads. Not at all painful!! Lot's of fun and I'm not real fond of stout recoil.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tubbythetuba said:
Jay, I spent a little time at the Magnum Research site and I'm impressed with the way you get the big bullets down range with less pressure. I don't understand how that works.....could you expound on that? I gotta say, a BFR in 45-70 would be neat. Bear 45-70 let me shoot his T/C in 45-70 with moderate loads. Not at all painful!! Lot's of fun and I'm not real fond of stout recoil.
Longer Brass and less violent powder.Put a 300 Winchester supreme(45-70) (Nosler Partition Gold) in a BFR 45-70 and you have less recoil than a 44-Mag.Put a 450 Marlin Hornady(Factory) in the .450 Marlin Pistol and you still have less recoil than the .454 Casull.The .450 Marlin and 45-70 from BFR have interchangeable cyliders.Yes you can shoot 40,000 CUP loads in the 45-70 BFR with probaly the same recoil as the .450 Marlin.

Wish I had it to do over again....Story of my life...

Jayco.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
BigBrass,

Equal velocity at lower pressure comes from having a larger "boiler room" in which to burn the propellant. The smaller case has less room and consequently needs a faster, higher energy powder to get enough units of energy in that space. Faster burning translates into more rapidly peaking pressures so you have higher pressure. The larger case can hold more powder and which means you can use a slower powder which "spreads" the enrgy out over a longer burn time. This means you can get a "longer push" rather than a quicker, shorter "push" to get the projectile up to speed.

I don't know if it makes sense - it's not exactly a scientfic explanation but it might give you a bit of a "picture" of sort of how it works.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
A perfect explaination, Sir! You too, Jay. Thanks.

If I get some extra bucks together, I'd really like one of those!

·
Registered
159 Posts

These are my 2 BFR's in .45-70 and .500 S&W Magnum. The .45-70 cartridges displayed are 552 Gr. Lyman Cast Gas Checks. Recoil is stout, but they perform flawlessly! The .45-70 BFR also digests the Remington 405 Gr. Jacketed Soft Point without a hitch. I have the Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun to match. I like rifle, pistol combo guns! Bill T.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dang that would be fun! Sounds like the perfect ccw gun. :lol: :lol:

I'll up the offer on the 454 package to $100 Canadian. Our money is much prettier than the US money with all the different colors we use! And you'd get the joy of dealing with customs. Tempting? :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sledge said:
Hey JC,

I bought one of the BFRs in 45/70 last year. It is a BLAST to shoot.

Mine has the 7" barrel, and is very manageable. It always gets a
response from the crowd at the range, when I shoot it.

Mine did not come drilled and tapped for scope mount. Maybe the 10" does, but you may want to find out from Magnum Research.

If you do get one, you will have to spend more time at the reloading bench! It's more addictive than the 1895GS, and that's a LOT.

Best to you.

Sledge
It looks like that's not an issue anymore:

All BFR's (except for .45LC/410) sold after 1-1-04 are drilled and tapped for our MRI custom silver scope mount which is included with the BFR revolver and will accomdate any Weaver style rings (see any long cylinder 7.5-inch part number for photo of revolver with mount).

·
Registered
159 Posts
My .45-70 BFR which I bought first did not come drilled and tapped with a mount, but my .500 S&W Magnum did. I'm not going to mount a scope but for those who want one mounted I would recommend useing Burris Signature Zee Rings with the plastic inserts. These rings offer exceptional holding power and will not mar a scope. If you could incorporate 3 rings in your mounting set up, that would be even better. Much like a TSOB Contender mount from JDJ. Bill T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts