Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a request yesterday for pricing on a BFR in 450 Marlin, to match my 1895GG. The dealer had a 500 S&W model sitting there that I was able to look at. I believe it is basically the same as the 450, just with a "slightly" larger hole. I was able to slowly cock the revolver and check for where it locks up, and there was nothing but perfect alignment that I could see. There had been talk that the hammer could lock before the cylinder was rotated completely, but this was not the case with the one I had in my hands. The finish was perfect.

Does anyone have experience with the BFR in 450? Or even 45-70. They want $799 for the 500 on the shelf. Don't know what they can get the 450 for.

And don't tell my wife........

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Bud-The BFR in 450 or 45-70 is what I'm after.You can get them with interchangeable cylinders to shoot either the 450 or the 45-70.Like you,I would like to have the pistol/rifle combo and the BFR in 450 Marlin shoots Hornady factory 350's over 1800 fps.The loading componants for the 450/45-70 are much cheaper than for the big 500 with 300 grain Unicores at $9 bucks for 50 and ofcourse the cast and brass is in the $20 dollar range for the 45-70.I don't know what brass is for the 450.

I would wait it out myself as I already have a 454 which is enough gun in it's own right but the BFR is right in the ball park with the 500 and less expensive to shoot.

Jayco

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Jay, I wish you'd buy that damn thing so I could come down and shoot it :p

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
Jay, I wish you'd buy that damn thing so I could come down and shoot it :p
Tubby-Ol' Bestlever shot my 454 and loved it.I don't have a clue what he will say but he told me he had to have one. :shock: He shot full house 300 grain JSP's from Cor-Bon at 60,000 PSI.It is not that bad with the ports.To me just a push back and alittle rise but you will have to ask him.

Since the 454 kicks worse than the BFR's in 450/45-70 and even the big 500 from what I have been told by those that have both..One day I will have the BFR in 450/45-70.

Jayco

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jayco,

You're seeing it like I do, I think. I already have the 450 rifle, so the brass isn't even a consideration (though I bought 100 off of Ebay pretty reasonably several months ago). I hadn't thought about the interchangable cylinders. Most excellant.

1800 fps for factory 350 grain bullets isn't bad. The price quoted me was $869, but that distributor didn't have it in stock at present.

The Manum Research website (http://www.magnumresearch.com/FAQ_BFRRevolver.asp)
states this:

Can I shoot reloads in my BFR revolver?
I am sorry we do not offer any reloading information since we do not recommend reloading in any of our products. Any use of reloads (problems caused by them) null and void the warranty on any MRI product. However, if you are going to reload we suggest you strictly follow all safe reloading information in a good up to date reloading manual.

What loads will the BFR .45/70 handle?
Lever action rifle loads, the #2 loads.

Can I interchange cylinders on my BFR revolver?
Yes, if you have a serial number beginning with the prefix "JT". We have cylinders for your BFR .45/70 to the .450 Marlin or your .450 Marlin to the .45/70 and also for your .22 Hornet to the .218 BEE. The cylinder does need to be fitted to your BFR revolver either at the time of ordering or you can send in your revolver to us.

Can I put the new .410 vent rib on my BFR .45LC/410 revolver?
Yes, if you have a serial number with the prefix "JT". The .410 vent rib is for enhanced sighting on moving targets. Features front and mid-bead. Simply remove front and rear sights and install on your BFR revolver. For those of you that have a BFR revolver with the serial number prefix "DM", this is also a possibility but we will need to fit it to your existing BFR and there is a some labor charges for this.

RECOIL

• The BFR in 45/70 recoils less than any .44 Magnum that weighs under 3-pounds.
    Recoil is a factor of bullet weight, velocity and gun weight.
    Remember recoil is not a factor of size, just because it is physically large does not mean that it recoils large. The BFR simply weighs a little more than other revolvers because of its heavy design for powerful ammunition. The added weight makes the gun balance better, makes it easier to hold steady and makes it recoil less…Period.
    The 45/70 will produce the same velocity as the 454 Casull with 2/3 less pressure, and a lot less noise and muzzle flash. This is because the 45/70 case is longer so it allows for different types of gunpowder to be used and the case has more room for the burning and expanding gases to expand. The end result is less pressure, less wear and tear on the gun, less noise and less recoil.

Now, ain't that just a little piece of Heaven?

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Bud wrote:
Now, ain't that just a little piece of Heaven?
10-4...Your talking food to a hungry man.I have a couple things to sell and the BFR is mine.I just have to have one and I have never felt that way towards a revolver before. :oops:

I visit the accurate arms sight quite often and in there handgun section there are some nice guys whom speak very very highly of the BFR in 45-70 and especially accuracy.The 450 would be the same thing.

Just gotta have one some day.....Jayco

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
If you like big heavy handguns, Magnum Research is a definite consideration since their BFRs are certainly heavy on the big part - literally. Neither are they compact. Both of these things is what makes them as shootable as they are, and they are shootable. If you are familiar with 300 grain, or thereabout, loads moving around 1200 fps in standard revolvers, then shooting 400 grainers moving over 1400 fps will not be a big step up in the BFR. (I can't speak for 350s at 1800.)

The BFR is not heavy just for strength. In fact the weakest point in the frame probably makes a lot of the extra mass in other areas unnecessary from a strength standpoint. Its only purpose is in keeping the gun friendly when the trigger is squeezed. The barrel mass is a significant factor in controlling recoil also I think. (That may be one of the reasons Magnum measures their barrels differently from most revolver builders measuring from the front of the frame instead of the front of the cylinder. This also means the gun is even bigger than the comparitive numbers suggest.

This picture gives some idea of the barrel mass in the BFR (right). The Ruger (left) has a .452" bore while the BFR is .475". If the larger bore appears smaller than the smaller one it is due to the optical illusion created by the extra barrel wall thickness.

BFRs are truly large guns which kind of negates their holster or hip-carry friendliness. If that isn't important then it won't matter. If what you want is a very powerful gun you can wear on your hip, the BFR is probably a bit more in weight and size than you might want to lug on your belt.

Bud, I believe you may be referring to my reference to my revolver in your mention of the timing. It is true that mine has that problem. Since I either have to bring the revolver to Anchorage (the nearest FedEx drop-off point and $600 from here) or have it sent back through a dealer, I am still waiting to get mine repaired. Hopefully my revolver is an isolated specimen which is unusual in its quality control issues. Certainly it is not as much gun quality-wise as one gets when they buy the run-of-the-mill Ruger. My BFR was very heavily brushed around the frame front which washed off the edges significantly and left a rather wavy surface on the metal where the barrel is threaded into the frame. These cosmetic flaws contrast sharply with most other areas which have been crisply finished. While Magnum Research is not Freedom Arms nor do they pretend to be, I don't think, they should be more than what mine is when you consider their cost, especially when you see what Ruger puts out for considerably less. I would not special order another Magnum product unless I could refuse it without incurring any expense. The timing issue is not one I noticed right away but discovered it when "fondling" it one morning before the kids were up. It isn't something I would likely have noticed had I looked the gun over in a shop since I had never seen the problem before on any of my revolvers. it isn't something that should have gotten by a good pistolsmith though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having read your post, I did s.l.o.w.l.y. cock the 500 BFR at the Outdoorsman Sport Shop, in Greenwood. http://www.outdoorsmansportshop.com/products/products_firearms.cfm

The finish was excellant, and the lock up was exact. You don't think this could be something that developed over time through shooting sticks of dynamite through it, do you?

By the way, I called up another dealer in Mooresville I know and have purchased some stuff through. (Tony, at 2nd Ammendment Guns) He called around and got a price of $845 for the 450 BFR, but they had none in stock, either.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Bud said:
Having read your post, I did s.l.o.w.l.y. cock the 500 BFR ...........

The finish was excellant, and the lock up was exact. You don't think this could be something that developed over time through shooting sticks of dynamite through it, do you?

........... a price of $845 for the 450 BFR......
That's good to hear. I'm not trying to dissuade you. The BFRs are the way to get into the really big revolvers if that is what you want. Possibly and hopefully, mine was just a fluke. It was built in 2002 according to the spent case included for record with the gun and I bought it last fall so it was aging inventory. Mine does lock up properly if you draw the hammer all the way down or if you draw it back briskly so the momentum of the cylinder rotation carries it around. The hammer does cock before the cylinder locks, however, which is not how a revolver is supposed to work. Since mine will cock with the cylinder many thousandths out of lockup, I'm afraid of what might happen if it was ever fired that way. I'm sure spitting lead would seem a very minor issue compared to what that would do. At the very least some of the gun's parts would be severely hammered as the bullet forced eveything into line on its way through the throat and forcing cone.

This problem is factory issue as I discovered it after only twenty rounds of moderate 480 loads which were very carefully and deliberately delivered into various junk at our local dump. (That was my first real lesson in the facts of mass, especially barrel mass, when shooting heavy handgun bullets. Cold hands on a cold day is a recipe for pain and suffering. Not with these big guns!)

I have not fired the gun much since, just enough to chrono and try a few different loads. It really isn't bad even with 475 higher end 400s though you do know you delivered a package when they leave. Targeting with the gun isn't real hazardous I suppose as it is easy to snap the hammer sharply. I would hate to have a critter in my sights and be very quietly trying to bring the hammer back, only to fail to pull it far enough for the cylinder to lock. That would be a very poor way to ruin one's day especially when you consider what a likely quarry might be for some of these big calibers.

$845 does seem like a very good price for one of these guns.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They finally got one in at the supplier and I wrote out the check to the dealer (2nd Ammendment Guns in Mooresville, IN) last night. It is supposed to be in by next Friday, just a week from today. Final price was $800 plus tax (comes to $848 even).

Now, to do this I had to buy my wife a new HE4T Sears washer and dryer set ($2700), two 4 shelf stackable barrester bookcases ($1500), and take her to Virginia this weekend to see the grandbaby ($700 and still climbing). For you single guys who think I might have saved myself over $5700 by just not buying the gun, think again. I've been married long enough to know that she was going to get all of those things anyway. Doing it now just let me buy the gun. Besides, I would have wanted to see the little red haired girl myself...

Sometime or other after I get it I want to send it back to the factory to have a 45-70 cylinder installed. No hurry on that yet. The 450 Marlin matches my rifle. If I like it (yeah, right) I want to get another in 444. I wonder what my wife will want....

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I'm single.....If I want to get something extra, I'll just stop feeding the dog for a few weeks for extra money.............Hell, he likes eating grass anyway :twisted:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tubbythetuba said:
I'm single.....If I want to get something extra, I'll just stop feeding the dog for a few weeks for extra money :twisted:
There are more things in Heaven and earth, my dear tubbythetuba, than are dreampt of in your philosophy....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay,
The BFR in 450 Marlin came in last night and I picked it up today. It functions beautifully. It has a 10 inch barrel and weighs maore than any other pistol I've shot.

I fired five rounds of 350 grain Hornady factory loads. No comments about the accuracy of those first five rounds (The reason why in a minute), but I can tell you that, at least with these rounds, that talk on the web site about it not having as much recoil as a 44 magnum is total bunk. It kicks like a mule.

Tonight I exchanged the 2 power Weaver handgun scope from my Super Blackhawk to the BFR. This was incredibly easy. I spent a lot more time looking for the spring I dropped from the iron site than actually mounting the scope (no, I never did find it, not even with a magnet). Both the BFR and the Scope are stainless, but the rings I have are blued steel, so I need to find some stainless ones to have a total stainless look. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot some of my reloads tomorrow, and test for accuracy.

I had a little problem with that today in that I fired two rounds from the table I use as a range out behind my house and heard a lot of buzzing. I turned and looked to the right for the sound and saw a whole bunch of small black bees in the tree about 12 feet from me and maybe ten feet up. They seemed to be a black honey bee, but were unlike any I'd ever seen before. They didn't look like hornets, but might have been a type of bumble bee. They apparently didn't like the noise.... One of them didn't like it a lot caused it dived at my head and got me right at my hairline. I was plum distrurbed. From about 30 feet I fired the last three rounds of the BFR into (you guessed it) the tree trunk where the bees were swarming. Leaves and bark went flying, but I didn't investigate any closer. I'm hoping the 450 Marlin disturbed them as much as they were disturbing me.

Right after dark, but before it got pitch black, I went back to the tree with a big can of Hornet and Wasp spray. I got it pretty good, but never did hear any buzzing. Tomorrow I'll try to get some photos to post, and see if it's safe to use my range rest again....

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Bud wrote:
I fired five rounds of 350 grain Hornady factory loads. No comments about the accuracy of those first five rounds (The reason why in a minute), but I can tell you that, at least with these rounds, that talk on the web site about it not having as much recoil as a 44 magnum is total bunk. It kicks like a mule.
Bud-The 45-70 shooting SAAMI factory loads has less recoil than the 44-Mag..Not the 450 Marlin shooting 350 grain bullets over 1800 fps. :shock:

The 450 Marlin in BFR shooting 350 grain Hornady factory ammo has a recoil factor of 109 while the Freedom Arms 454 has a recoil factor of 116 yet the 450 BFR has quite abit more power.That is one reason I want the 45-70 BFR to load light loads that are as powerful as the 454 Casull with less recoil than the 44-Mag according to there charts and I do believe you could do the same with the 450 Marlin.Load it to about 1600 fps with 300 grain bullets and you have a Bear Stopper like the 454 but with much less recoil.

Congrats on the new gun and keep us posted.I love it.

Jayco

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jaycocreek,
That's my plan, which is what I want to try tonight with my reloads after I get home from Army duty. I have a bunch of reloaded rounds with between 300 and 405 grain bullets loaded to a little less dynamite.

The bees (whatever kind they are) seemed quite a bit dead this morning.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Bud-There charts show about 200 fps difference than what we get in the Guide Guns aka about 25 fps per barrel inch but thats in the 10 inch BFR.So my 420 grain Crater Lite at 1650 fps would be about 1450 in a BFR pistol or my Nosler at 2100 fps would be about 1900 fps in the BFR.

Your a lucky guy and I'm jealous...Keep us and me in toon with your work with the BFR..SOMEDAY it will happen for me also..

Jayco

1 - 16 of 16 Posts