Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
FYI--to all of you who are conservative firearms owners and perhaps want to cover your firearms in your homeowner's insurance. True story--the names and Ins Co have been left out to protect the innocent. A shooting buddy I know who was a school teacher by profession and happened to be a gun owner who enjoyed the shooting sports. He was already being discriminated against at his workplace by other co-workers who were anti-gun.

In "Libertardland" a new local law was passed in July 1994 requiring registration of all rifles (Manufactured on or after this date). All pre-1994 long guns were supposed to be grandfathered. This school teacher decided that it might be a good idea to cover his firearms under his homeowners' policy. His agent said he had to record all serial numbers and take pictures of the firearms. He submitted the list with photos to the agent. The agent made a comment that it is a big arsenal and way more guns then anyone would need to own. The agent took the list and turned it over to the local police department telling them that he thought it was a large cache of unregistered firearms.

The police came to his house and demanded to see all firearms. They grilled him on the ones that were unregistered. The owner said that it was not a law before July of 1994 that required you to register rifles. They demanded that he show receipts for all and he said some were bought so long ago that he no longer had receipts. In short--they harassed him and forced him to register every one of those rifles that were supposed to be grandfathered. If he did not comply---they threatened to confiscate all of the unregistered rifles and only return them post an investigation on each to see if they were stolen.

I would say that this was pretty bad treatment to a "Law Abiding" school teacher who does not have any criminal record. He was very angry at his insurance agent who he knew had to be the one that reported it. So, to all of you beware of the self righteous liberal left insurance agent who can make life miserable for you----especially if you live in a Blue State with a "Libertard" run Guberment.

PS--Guberment refers to corrupt liberal politicians.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I would be speaking to the insurance agents managers or above. What the agent did was wrong. What led him to believe that they were unregistered to begin with? His actions are not that of a professional.

·
Super Moderator
14,167 Posts
First he needs to file a complaint with the insurance COMPANY that he has his homeowner policy with. He should also consult a lawyer about suing the agent as that agent had no right to share the information with anyone other than the insurance company. Then he should kick himself in the ass for living in a state that has laws like that and paying taxes to support such crap. As a insurance agency owner and a insurance agent I would never share anyone's personal information or any of their coverage or inventory information. If the police want it from me they best come with the correct paperwork to get it. I write for many companies that write homeowner coverage and have never had any act in any way anti gun up to this point. I would make sure everyone knew what his agent did and many will choose to move their business to another agent. All that said if the story is true why is there a need to not disclose the agents name and location? That reminds me of the left news using unnamed source's. This agent should be exposed.

·
Administrator
30,809 Posts
Unfortunately, the hand writing was on the wall with the insurance agents comment "that it is a big arsenal and way more guns then anyone would need to own."

He should have known right then trouble is coming. I'd do everything I could to get that agent fired! I'd also be changing insurance companies or at the very least, another agent.

Jack

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
There has to be some sort of client confidentiality dynamic somewhere in the insurance industry. Oh wait, what am I saying, the industry is predicated on predation, my bad. My insurance agent said it wasn't worth the premiums and hassle and she advised me to put the premium moneys instead towards a high quality safe, which I did. Actually 3 of them currently. That was in CT, so I know she has my back though they are very few and far between. Just like a trustworthy mechanic, an honest politician, an affordable plumber and an ethical insurance company or agent, when you find one do all you can not to lose that connection. They are all Unicorns in their own right. Though I think Trump just lifted the protection of Unicorns and you can now trophy hunt for them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
And "they" wonder why people hide things. Is it any wonder at all?
If push came to shove, all "they" would ever see/have access to would be the non-grandfathered ones. For insurance purposes it's a risk you have to weigh up.
And, if we ever reach the bottom of the slippery slope we seem to be on, no amount of insurance will help you; it may be a necessity that all of your "stash" will be required.
2A was put there for a very good reason.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Unfortunately, the hand writing was on the wall with the insurance agents comment "that it is a big arsenal and way more guns then anyone would need to own."

He should have known right then trouble is coming. I'd do everything I could to get that agent fired! I'd also be changing insurance companies or at the very least, another agent.

Jack
I would call the insurance company and get a contact name of someone that has some authority. I would then write a letter to that contact at the insurance company and tell that person that I was taking my business elsewhere and I would be writing negative reviews on both Yelp.com and Google.com. The only way to get a change of attitude in any business is to drop them like a bad habit. Hit them in the wallet. Bad Publicity.

Mike T.

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
I usually don't condone "swatting", but in this instance, might have to make an exception! I think i would have to make it my life's mission to put them out of business!

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts

Jack[/QUOTE

After I whipped his azz...............

·
Administrator
30,809 Posts
I would call the insurance company and get a contact name of someone that has some authority. I would then write a letter to that contact at the insurance company and tell that person that I was taking my business elsewhere and I would be writing negative reviews on both Yelp.com and Google.com. The only way to get a change of attitude in any business is to drop them like a bad habit. Hit them in the wallet. Bad Publicity.

Mike T.

I hear ya, Mike.

I assume this took place in CA judging by the OP location. I'd say contact the CA insurance commissioner but in CA the commissioner would probably give the insurance agent a dammed award. :banghead:

Jack

·
Administrator
30,809 Posts

Jack[/QUOTE

After I whipped his azz...............

It certainly would be tempting.

Jack

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I hear ya, Mike.

I assume this took place in CA judging by the OP location. I'd say contact the CA insurance commissioner but in CA the commissioner would probably give the insurance agent a dammed award. :banghead:

Jack
I unfortunately would have to wholeheartedly agree.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
I hear ya, Mike.

Jack
Yep if you're looking for the exception to the rule, it would be California. Take a look at how many California cities and towns that set themselves up as Sanctuary Cities and are blatant about it too. Back to insurance. I had a problem with my own insurance Agent once too. I had my Home owner and auto insurance with the same company for a number of years. There was one time I went into his office and he wouldn't give me the time of day. Keep in mind that I know I'm small potatoes. That said, my money is as good as the next guy. I was upset. So, I called the Insurance Company. The person I spoke too on the phone gave me a line of BS, so I hung up, looked up members of their Board of Directors, called back and asked for the Secretary of the Board of Directors by name. I got her on the phone and told her the situation. After a brief Discussion I told her "Either you find me a different Agent or I get a different Insurance Company". She knew I was dead serious and suggested a different Agent within reasonable driving distance from home. I went to that agent and dumped the other Agent that wouldn't give me the time of day. I will add that I always made my payments and never had a claim. I do not take being dismissed lightly.

I know every state has an insurance commissioner, but I did not have to go beyond the Insurance Company.

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Times are different now. Too many "I wanta save the world" idiotic liberals marching around & screaming get rid of guns. Especially in these liberal States.

I understand the guy wanted to insure his guns. But there are special insurance companies that handle firearm insurance. He could have easily checked w/ the NRA. I would not have tried to add them to a homeowner's policy. Besides, I believe the home owner Ins Co.'s will only insure up to a certain amount of firearms, jewelry, etc..

Like classic/ collectible cars. There are insurance companies that handle insuring vintage/ classic/ expensive cars. I wouldn't use the local ins agent, because they don't understand the value of a collectible vehicle.

I'm not familiar with all the gun laws in CA other than they stink. But w/o a warrant I would not have let the LEO in house. The guy should have hired a lawyer instead of allowing the LEO access or registering his rifles.

I don't like speaking of what I own (I'm paranoid like that). My wife doesn't even know :biggrin:. I surely would never register them. Imo, that's asking for problems.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.