Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware.

VerticalScope (the current owner of this site) is transitioning all of its forums to new software. It won't be long before MO is hit by this plague.

It complicates navigation, has a cluttered layout, and loses quite a bit of functionality versus existing software.

Beware.
The end is nigh.

·
Super Moderator
26,225 Posts
Got a link to such news?

We have heard zip of such a notion.

Jack

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Every time the site goes through something like this we lose members who either can't make the new system work or just get frustrated and don't come back. I hope this time it's different but I'm not optimistic.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I love the 24 hour campfire site. but I go on it less and less. they cram pop up adds down your throat every time you click to a new page. I hate adds and commercials! I mute every commercial on my tv. I usually record so I can fast forward. I hate them! I hope this site don't come to that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a link to such news?

We have heard zip of such a notion.

Jack
Contact your VS administrator.
It was surprise to the three other forums that I've seen "updated", as well.
The primary motivations, according to VS, are the massive vBulletin security breech a couple years ago, and a "universal" layout that scales to all devices.

Here's an example of the new look: https://www.stevesnovasite.com/
In that case, the mods and original creator had only six days notice.

·
Super Moderator
26,225 Posts
Thanks for the link and explanation. So far, we mods haven't heard a peep regarding dumping vBulletin and hope we don't change.

I'll bring it up to admin and VS to see if they plan on changing our community. Personally, the old adage, don't fix what isn't broken, comes to mind.

Jack

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If there is a security issue with the software which runs this BBS, an upgrade to a more secure platform is worth the trouble.

Hard to imagine how security issues might be an issue for a forum like this, but the bad guys operate in ways you really can't begin to imagine, and can take advantage of things that would never occur to any of you in a million years. That isn't to impugn anybody here, just a statement of how things are.

I go to Vegas every August for a hacking conference. Believe me, there are a lot of guys who are really good at this stuff.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Here's an example of the new look: https://www.stevesnovasite.com/
I'm familiar with that format from another site I'm a member of. It's OK, but no where near the quality of this site. If we go to that it would be a big step backwards. I sure hope it just doesn't happen as it will be like going from a Corvette to a Volkswagen.

·
Premium Member
14,324 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,190 Posts
Seems more smartphone friendly which usually means less useful and fewer features. I don't even use the smartphone version of this because you lose so much functionality.

·
Super Moderator
26,225 Posts
Seems more smartphone friendly which usually means less useful and fewer features. I don't even use the smartphone version of this because you lose so much functionality.

I'm right there with you on that, Steve. Not to mention the potential PITA it will be to perform mod duties.

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
Well, I hate to say it, but I've been a member for quite awhile (2009) and always tried to participate where and when I can. This is the only site I visit. I was a member to another site until I found this one and never went back again.

I don't like the format they are proposing at all, it's the same one that many other sites use that I've run across while doing searches for one thing or another. If they mess up this site then I'm pretty sure I'll just drop off. I'd hate that because I've enjoyed the members here, their knowledge and the friendly interface.

I've also always appreciated the hard, almost thankless work the moderators do to keep this site the best on the internet.

But I have this thing, if my patronage is not appreciated (by a business, manufacturer, or service provider, etc.) I use the only vote I have, I don't support them. I will hold my vote for now and see what the owners do to this forum, but as I posted earlier, I am not optimistic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts