Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Would you buy a better extractor if one is available.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank goodness I found this forum. I purchased a new 39A because my kid's and I love to shoot my father-in-law's 39 that he has had since he was a boy. It might be the most accurate gun I have ever fired.

Unfortunately ours fails to extract almost every round. I basically put it away thinking I would get it fixed later... these posts have given me hope that we will finally be able to enjoy the rifle we purchased a few years ago.

With great anticipation I just called Wisner's to order my A39A-27 but they're voicemail says they are both sick and temporarily closing the office. Any idea if this is indeed temporary? Or long(er) term? I truly hope they're okay - and anxious to get this fixed once and for all!

Thanks to you all for the information. What a great place this is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too tried calling Wisner`s with no luck. I sent them an email and they answered it. I needed to order a few parts for my 39A and they said they were swamped with orders,but that they will get to mine. I just found this thread and am going to add an extractor to the order. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just purchased an extractor from Wisner's. It took a little filing and fitting, but it went in nicely. Long story short, it fixed my extraction problems. Thank you Wisners!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whole lot of problems with extraction that Marlin is not addressing.

I have a 66 that has had over 10,000 rounds through it since I bought it and it has never failed to extract once.

I currently have a query in the industry partners section addressed to Wild West Guns.

Their products are very good quality and very durable and most of all they work.

I have tweaked a stamped one and know that sooner or later it will fail, but still trust the machined steel one in my 1966 39A.

I will attach pics of the 66 and a stamped one.

3-12-10 added pics of my 1966 top and 2003 bottom for comparison.

10-12-10 Added Wisners part # A39A-27 to the poll, this I am recommending as a direct replacement part for the stamped steel extractor.
The extractor on my 3rd+-hand 1997 AS looks like the bottom one pictured. The only trouble with FTE I have had is when a spent cartridge case jammed and bent the extractor spring. I bent it back & have had no problems since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you, Swany, and all who contributed to this outstanding thread. This Marlin Forum is the best!

For the first time, ever, my 1973 Golden 39-A started giving me stove-pipe jams the other day. Ironically, I was field testing a new Wisner's firing pin at the time, which dropped right in and performed perfectly. Looks like I need to place another order with them. Thank goodness for Wisner's, and especially for all of you!

HS

81 - 85 of 85 Posts