Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My near mint Levermatic in .30 carbine arrived at my FFL today, and I couldn't wait to unpack it.
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Shotgun

I don't remember feeling as sick in the stomach as when I saw this:

Shotgun Wood Metal

Wood Metal

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Wheel Metal

This happened in transit - it looks like some postal worker tried to fold it in half. The seller insured it, but for about half its value :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
That is very sad! I can't help but suspect that it is purposeful at times. I have shipped 20-30 fairly delicate stringed musical instruments over the last year or so and have never had any damage, so I know they are capable of getting a package from point a to point b without breaking it in half.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Odessaman, did you see pics of that area of the stock before you purchased? I say that because I've seen a number of these Levermatics with cracks in the stock just behind the receiver. I think it is a combination of people not used to the short thow of the lever in the beggining and the lack of support at the wrist of the stock. If you seen it wasn't that way when you bought it, then it probably did take a whacking in shipment. Its a nice looking Levermatic, and I hope you can resolve the issue equitably between you. If you would be looking for a new stock, you can try Western Gun Parts in Canada. I found a NOS (new old stock) for mine there. Good luck!

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Pattern
Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Leverforever - the seller sent me pics before I agreed to the purchase, and there were no cracks. It wasn't shipped in a hard case, which I specifically asked for (amazing how many people think a carboard box with bubble wrap is adequate protection) and there's damage to the box that roughly corresponds to the area of the cracks.

Thanks for the lead on a replacement stock - I'll check them out.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Keep us posted as to how it all shakes out with the USPS and their Insurance. I've always been wondering how that scenario works out, because I ship a few things though them also.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
OK,so do you collect the insurance money or does the seller collect it? Good luck to you getting the money.Maybe it will replace the stock.

·
Registered
931 Posts
A seller shipped me an antique lamp and the globe was busted. Insured for $50 or so, had a pleasant afternoon visiting second hand stores for estimates. Funny, they all said it was worth fifty bucks or so. Mosied back to the PO and the guy cut me a check right there. He said that the seller gets $50, too.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
That kind of damage is nothing new or is it limited to any one carrier. When my LGS received my new Savage 99-358 in the early eighties UPS left it with a broken stock. It went back and another was sent . I still have that rifle.

·
Premium Member
10,429 Posts
the problem is getting your insurance money in this decade. they will drag it out to the end.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
A buddy of mine broke the stock at the wrist on his pre 64 M70 220 Swift in a hard case coming back from a recent squirreling trip. Kind of the same deal, we are all trying to imagine how it could have happened, as no horses or anything similar was around to walk on top the case.

Packing a gun to ship, and taking too much time and care to pack, is impossible. My first gunsmith mentor, who built authentic Hawken reproductions, would actually build a pine box to ship those guns in. After a hundred or so hours building one, another two to make a shipping container was easy.

Reactions: 45BearGun

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, Id like an update if/when they reimburse you for the damage!!
Will do. I must say the seller is a stand up guy, and feels terrible about what happened. He's jumped right on this, and has already submitted the claim. While we're waiting for the claim to be processed, he's sending me a cash refund for a substantial part of the claim amount, so I can shop for a replacement stock. As bad a situation as this is, at least he's doing what he can to make it right.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
That really is sad, I would have felt like crying. The last rifle I had shipped to me I was somewhat a nervous wreck until I could open the box and see that it was fine. It's not the money with many rifles etc. like this to me, it's the history, originality, or whatever it is that fits in the "heart-breaker" category... :(
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I had a lo wall receiver come back from the case color place, it looked like it had been run over by a D 8 Cat, and I took pictures before even opening it as evidence. Same thing with any obviously outside damaged boxes, take pictures before opening it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You should have no problem with USPS and insurance. I ship stuff all the time and have had to collect twice. Take good pictures of the damage and the damaged shipping box. Talk to your PO and find out which one of you needs to file the claim, I think it's the shipper, not you. Good luck, you will get paid it just takes a little time.

·
Premium Member
7,254 Posts
I wouldn't replace that stock. It's an easy repair for a competent wood guy. I'd use the insurance money to pay a good gunsmith or wood worker to fix it, and keep the extra money in your pocket.

Reactions: Mike Leck
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.