Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had to fix a stock before, read up some on here, but will ask anyway! This stock is off the Marlin .35 I just bought.

Pictures of stock.

20190213_192254.jpg , 20190213_192307.jpg , 20190213_192320.jpg .

Yes stock does have oil soak where crack is.

Any advice is accepted!

Thanks!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Maybe a little acetone to wick out the oil from the crack or if you know someone that does Formica work use Contact Cleaner. After a little soaking if the crack is wedged open slightly with maybe a toothpick , let it air try and the some super glue type gel after masking off the wood that you don't want the glue to touch. Sorry about the run on sentences.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If hurting the finish is not an issue how about wedging it open a little and washing it out real good a few times with brake klean in the green can. Once it is oil free get some clear epoxy as deep as you can into the crack. Use rubber bands to hold it closed. If you don't mind your repair showing a brass stock repair bolt can't hurt. Brownells sell the repair kits. I've used them on shotguns with cracks in the wrist and they work well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If hurting the finish is not an issue how about wedging it open a little and washing it out real good a few times with brake klean in the green can. Once it is oil free get some clear epoxy as deep as you can into the crack. Use rubber bands to hold it closed. If you don't mind your repair showing a brass stock repair bolt can't hurt. Brownells sell the repair kits. I've used them on shotguns with cracks in the wrist and they work well.
And drill a hole at an angle from the inside and into the crack to insert a piece of dowel and epoxy in addition to this.

·
Registered
28,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'm all ears open to try for my first time. If I boo-boo up stock well then I will just have to replace it! I just rather have the original stock back on it. The numbers on stock match gun and the letter too! I also much prefer leaving stock with dings and color as is, matching the patina of rifle.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Have you ever taken off stock just to look inside? Just wondering?

What you're looking at is after the repair. Like you wanted to leave everything original. Mine was pretty clean inside the crack and I used a piece of wood in the slot where the tang inserts and spread it open just slightly. I worked Tite Bond lll into the crack with fishing line till it ran out the side. I used Irwin Quick Grip clamp to squeeze it closed and wiped up excess glue with wet rag. It may break somewhere else but it's not coming apart where it's glued.

·
Registered
28,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever taken off stock just to look inside? Just wondering?

What you're looking at is after the repair. Like you wanted to leave everything original. Mine was pretty clean inside the crack and I used a piece of wood in the slot where the tang inserts and spread it open just slightly. I worked Tite Bond lll into the crack with fishing line till it ran out the side. I used Irwin Quick Grip clamp to squeeze it closed and wiped up excess glue with wet rag. It may break somewhere else but it's not coming apart where it's glued.
Thanks Desparodo!

I was going to try the same thing! I bought a small bottle of Tite Bond III and was going to get as much down in the crack. Not too worried about crack seen, it's what can't be seen is bad.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Try to look inside crack best you can maybe with high powered light and see if you have clean wood inside the crack. If not clean it with acetone or brake clean first to get good adhesion. After clamping let it sit for at least a couple days. I wouldn't shoot it for a week.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
you could clean the "inside " the crack with methanol or acetone let dry and use your titebond. I might consider drilling and 1/8" and use a small dowl to strengthen being it is a 35 and subject to fairly decent recoil.titebond would work with that as well.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I would also drill at an angle and sue a small dowel in addition to a good glue. If you can force some good epoxy into the crack . Do not use the quick setting stuff but the extra time. Often these crack because of too good a fit. So see if it needs some relief at the back of the tang. We love walnut but cracks like that are typical of the wood.

DEP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts