Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally rejoined the .45/70 club and have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5X20 that I would lik to mount on this stainless Guide Gun.
What's the best scope mount, Leupold, Weaver or other?
Pictures to follow later.
Thanks!
WFR

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Well when I had my VXII I used the Leupold Rifleman base. It has two notches up front so you can position the scope better. There are bases with 9 or 10 notches, but ive never seen a need for it. Don't skimp on the rings. I used the Warne quick detachabes. Leupold QD are great rings also! When I removed the scope I was able to look down the Leupy base and still use my factory irons! Ive since gone to a scout scope set up!

Here's the VXII 1-4x20

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
On my GBL I have a EGW base with Leupold QD low rings, same as above remove the scope and sight down the base to use the standard sights.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearcat 74 said:
Leupold Standard bases and Low Rings on mine.
You got any pictures?
I'd like to see pictures of any scope mounts you guys have done.
I'm still deabting on using "quick-release" rings or not.
I have the Leupold QR mounts on my Rem 700 in .35 Whelen but they are not the Weaver-type.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My SBL w/ Nikon Prostaff 2-7x33mm in Leupold PRW's.
Only thing I would do differently is used QRW rings instead, but since I already had the PRWs I just went with them. :)

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I really like those Scout Scope Setups! 8)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bearcat, that's a sweet looking rig!
Looks like I have several options.
The 1.5-5 X 20 has been back to Leupold for a checkup and I've been saving it for the day I got another Guide Gun.
It's matte black and should look good on the stainless GG.
I have a second stainless GG on the way - it's a Davidson's LTD with the laminated stocks and Williams Firesights.
I figure to scope one and leave the other one with open sights.
Many pictures to follow once I get some time off and it's not 100 degrees outside!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I use a Leupold one piece base. Very solid base. I have used the Leupold quick disconnect rings on my CZ rifles and really like them and they can take up to .375 Holland & Holland punishment at least.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I use the old Weaver 63 base when I put a scope on either the 444P or the 1895. I have been using the Weaver Quad-Lock rings for awhile, very stout and repeatable zero. I use the leupold QD bases/rings on my Remington 700 35 Whelen Improved. They have held up to a couple trips to south Africa,etc. Only scout set up I have is on my M1 Carbine and use a Bushnell Micro red-dot on it. It's fast.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alrighty, the scope is going on the top one!
Going to use the bottom one (1895 GS LTD) as the open-sight beater! ;D

·
Registered
36 Posts
MontanaMarine said:
This setup is a Warne rail, and Seekins rings.

Wow that rail looks just like what I have been looking for since my talley mounts don't allow the scope to move forward enough for proper eye relief. Is that the 20MOA base? It seems lik that is the only picatinny style base warne makes for the 1895 and at almost $100 the price is steeeep :-\

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
all my leverguns wear game reaper mounts...

sorry for the shoddy picture

1 - 20 of 45 Posts