Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
You will find a used leupold VX1 or even maybe a VX2 for $200 or less. I purchased a real nice 3-9X40 VX1 a few years back from another member here for $140.
It works like a charm on my Remington 700.
Check out the optics classifieds. You will find some decent scopes on there.
One other thing. Don't pass on the idea of an older Jap Tasco, or newer Korean, or Taiwanese made scopes. They may not be real fancy but they work great.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
14,166 Posts
Not sure what power range you're looking for but a VX1 Leupold is where my money would go if buying new. I buy used Leupolds when I can though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-Vx...570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xleupold+3-9x40.TRS0
Make sure if you buy off of Ebay or anywhere you are not sure about to call Leopold with the serial number to verify that it is real and not a Chinese knock off. If it is shipped from China it is a fake. I would check any before I bought them though by calling Leopold as I have done in the past.

·
Registered
706 Posts
As mentioned.....seriously consider buying used. Most quality, name brand scopes have lifetime warranties. If you do your homework, and get your desired scope and find it has a problem....send it back for repair. Your only out the shipping, and have a reconditioned ( quality name-brand) scope!

We have a lot of scopes at our home...very few where bought new! memtb

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I will also vote for the Leupold VX1.
I have switched everything over to these, in the 2-7X33.
These are being fazed out and the VX1 will be replaced
by the VX Freedom series.
I bought two of these for $165.00 a few weeks ago,
just to have them set back for when/if I ever
need them.
This is a fine hunting rifle scope and mounts low and
sleek on most any rifle.
I have a VX3 2-7 on one rifle and I cannot tell much difference
in it and the VX1.
While these last, they are a steal at the price I paid.

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
What Navajo said. And Leupold Vari-X II and IIC scopes (preceded the VX series) are fine scopes as well.

Reactions: MISportsman

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
Old Leupolds and new Redfield Revolutions (made by Leupold).

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the input sofar. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific at first. I'm looking for a 3-9 power to replace a p.o.s. wal mart centerpoint that was on a rifle I bought before deer season. I will definitely look into the used leupolds. I love the vx1 2-7x33 that my dad got my for Christmas that's on my guide gun. I was wondering about the vortex crossfire a couple of you talked about. Price is good but haven't been able to find a good review anywhere.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
If you are buying a $200 Leupold, it’s got Asian glass in it.

Made in the USA is misleading. Leupold uses imported Asian glass in most of their scopes. Call them up and ask.

I didn’t take my buddy’s word for it. Boy was I shocked.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
There are only a few glass makers for optics in the world. Scopes are assembled in many different nations, parts are outsourced all over the place, but glass comes from the same few makers. American made doesn’t mean American made anymore. Maybe American assembled. A $200 scope is going to have glass from the same place as a $300 or $500 scope. But... the construction of the tube, turrets, etc., and quality control varies. The step up is European glass, and then it gets crazy expensive. There is not much difference in all the scopes that are in the $200 range. Look through a few, check out the size and the weight, then decide. The Redfields are just as good as a Vari-x I, Nikon, or Burris.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.