Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be mounting a scope on my 39D that I've had since it was new in 1973. I'll be using it primarily for squirrel and plinking. What does everyone think a fixed 4X of a variable 2 -7?

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
961 Posts
I have 3 i like well. I have a fixed 2.5 on a 10-22. I have a fixed 6 M8 on a 39a (most likely my fav) and a 3-9 simmons on a 39a. You might like a little more than 6 power for targets but I find it a perfect tradeoff in size magnification.

After a while range extimation can be done on a fixed scope as you get sed to the same view, the 2.5 is perfect for moving targets.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I have a nice older Weaver K4-W on my 39A. It's perfect for squirrels.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Use a BSA 22special on my 10/22 does fine for me bright clear helps me to make itty bitty groups prefer head shots on tree rats less meat damage

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I have a BSA 3x9 with a dot in the middle of the crosshairs and although a heavy scope it is extremely clear and cheap. Works for me.

Regards
Horseshoe

·
Registered
394 Posts
Muddy Water said:
I'm going to be mounting a scope on my 39D that I've had since it was new in 1973. I'll be using it primarily for squirrel and plinking. What does everyone think a fixed 4X of a variable 2 -7?
I've used everything from a compact Leupold 3x9, to a Vari-II 2-7 to the currently mounted Weaver 4X K2. I like the K2 the best and is certainly adequate for any distance I shoot squirrels at out to 125 yds.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I use a 1" scope rather than the smaller diameter .22 scopes and after a lifetime of squirrel hunting I've settled on the 3X9 power as being the most versatile.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For squirrels i like a fixed power. no fumbling with the power ring and no wondering what power it is set on. my favorite one for the 39a is a leupold rimfire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm currently using a weaver 2-7 on my .22. I'm very happy with it. It's a nice compact, light weight variable.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
One inch tubes, variable power, fine or duplex crosshairs, and parallax free at 75 yards or so, are what I look for in a scope for the squirrel woods.

I take my squirrel hunting rather seriously and have a few different rigs for the purpose. A couple of examples would be the Leupold Rimfire 3 x 9 AO on the Kimber...

...and the Leupold Rimfire 2 x 7 on the Marlin 39A...

Roe

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used a 4x Redfield 3/4 tube for years. Got it out and put it on my 39D. 3X9 Leupold 22 EFR on My CZ. 3X9 Charles Daly on the 39A. 6x15 Browning on a Cooper LTV 22Lr . Small scope looks better on a small rifle like the 39D. I've killed a lot of squirrels with the little Redfield on a couple of guns but lot of times a 3x9 would have ben better.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just like everything else, a scope is full of compromises.

Anything you might do to make it better in one area will make it worse in another area.

The general rule of thumb is that if the quality of the glass is equal, then a bigger lens gives a clearer, brighter picture. The compromise is that a bigger lens has to be mounted higher on the rifle.

Same thing with the adjuster turrets. A good scope will move reliably and predictably when you turn the adjusters. The compromise is that the best adjuster setup is expensive, and cost more than most folks think is reasonable for a squirrel rifle. The drawback to a cheapo adjuster is that it doesn't always move like you want it to when you try to zero the rifle, and it may not stay where you put it.

So, what you are trying to do is find a scope with a good bright sharp picture you can actually find the squirrel with, and an adjuster setup that will let you properly zero the gun and have it stay there, at a price you can swallow.

The easy answer is more money gets a better scope, but that's not 100% true.

In the end, you have to decide on your own compromise.

Many people have been happy with the Leupold Rimfire scopes. They offer good quality glass and a reliable adjuster setup in a scope that's sized to suit most people's idea of what a rimfire scope should look like.

You can see them here- http://www.leupold.com/

I went a different route.

For my model 39, I wanted a scope that would allow my tired old eyes to actually see what I'm shooting at, even in shadows and poor light. That meant a large lens and good quality glass.

I chose the Leupold VX13-9X40. It's a medium quality scope that's got a good picture and is tough and reliable.

The only drawback to the scope is that it's setup for shooting longer distances that most rimfire shots. It's out of focus up close. The good news is that Leupold will adjust it for rimfire use for $15.00.

I've been real happy with it.

Here's a pic or two.

That's me in the camo holding it, looking for squirrels... I know he's up there somewhere! The rifle still carries and handles fine with the big scope on it.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I'm not as serious nowadays as I once was about squirrels,but my little squirrel dog "Shortie"sure is.I use an old 1930 model 20 Marlin pump 22 scoped with a 1935 Marlin No.Two scope.
As far as Shortie and the squirrels know,we'r top of the line. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Very nice mudpuppy. Great picture of the hunt aftermath. Owner, rifle, best friend and groceries for the kitchen. Sure wouldn't mind another close-up of that Marlin sometime!

She's back on the wall till the squirrels start working my chestnut grove in September.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
I wish Marlin would make the pump rifle again.
Maybe Remington will carry on with it, as they still make pumps.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You want the last number to be at least a 32, preferably a 40 (4X40 or 3X9X32). Those number stand for the diameter of the objective lens, bigger means more light and brighter image. When you're hunting squirrels in the leafy tree tops you want all the light you can collect.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a centerpoint 4x16x40 on my 10/22 (I don't own a Marlin rimfire yet). The scope was on a rifle I traded for. It's not a bad scope, it works for me. It' s set on 4X most of the time. It's all I had so I used it.
Mudpuppy, nice rig. We've got 4 days left in our season here in KS. I'm thinkin I can make it out Sat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts