Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just reading up on matching barrel length and twist with ammo. So, my question is , what is the best ammo to use on my model 60 , it has a 19" barrel and 1:14 twist , thanks in advance

·
Registered
84 Posts
Test as many as you can get your hands on. Mine doesn't shoot supersonic ammo any good at all at 50 yds but holds less than a quarter sized group with CCI round nose standard velocity.

22s are notoriously picky to ammo, even the same rifle models.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
+1 for the CCI SV , mine really loves them, and is keyhole accurate at 50 yards also, but groups open up a bit farther out.
for 100yd shots, It tends to like the 36gr MiniMags for a little flatter trajectory, but I get about 3/4"-1" average groups at that distance depending on wind.
all of mine hate the Thunderbolts...

Like Doc7 said, try out as many brands as you can, and go with the one that gives you the best accuracy for the shooting distance you will shoot at and stay with that..

I have many 22's, and they all tend to have their favorite rounds... let your gun tell you what it likes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
From one O.F. to another O.F., I'm pretty sure that the model 60 has a 1 in 16 twist in the barrel.
Last week, I shot a 1¼" group at 100 yds with CCI Mini Mags out of my 1989 model 60. First time out with the model 60 since last fall.

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
At present time, the "best" ammo for the your model 60, is the one you can get your hands on! With the current ammo situation, beggars can't be choosers!

·
Registered
569 Posts
CCI SV words great in my 60 as well, but like others have said I use whatever the heck I can get my hands on. Sadly my semi-auto .22's have sat for a while, they just eat too much ammo too fast.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I always start with Federal bulk . All the Marlin Semi-autos I have owned seemed to prefer them . Having said that , they are hard to find these days .....

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
64, the best rounds for your 60 are gonna be the ones that are available at the time. We can't pick and choose much these days, so I grab whatever I can just so I can shoot. I would rather get 7 out of ten Bangs, then no Bangs! Hopefully we will all be able to be more selective with our rimfire ammo purchases in the very near future. Enjoy the new 60!

Reactions: GaCop and alman

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
At present time, the "best" ammo for the your model 60, is the one you can get your hands on! With the current ammo situation, beggars can't be choosers!
Normally, the best is what your rifle likes but with the shortage, you'll have to shoot whatever you can get.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I got some Federal bulk in a horse trade so tried it in my Henry rifle. The best I could get it to shoot was 2.8" at 100 yards (using a scope). CCI Stingers shoot the best in the Henry coming in at just under 2".

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks GaCop, how are things in Warner Robins, I'm from Savannah originally and have hunted in your area many times when I was younger. I just got my model 60 and have not got that good a group at 100 yards yet (only shot it one time to zero and I got consistent 1" with blazers at 50 yards. I shot one group at 100 yards just to see what was what and felt lucky to keep it in an 8" bull. granted it was windy but I'm not making excuses. I am older now and thought that was pretty good and it has been many years since I shot at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.