Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, in order to get my scope eye relief where I want it, I need to put a different scope base on my 336, and also some kind of recoil pad as well, to make the stock fit better. What I have on there now is a slip on Limbsaver pad, which, with the two piece Warne scope bases, puts the eye relief on my scope in just about the right place, but the stock now feels just a little bit too long. Without the pad, it feels a little short. So I am looking to refinish my beat up wood stock, and fit a recoil pad to it that is about half the thickness of the slip-on pad, and change my scope base to an EGW. What kinds of recoil pads do people recommend for these rifles?

Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
so, in order to get my scope eye relief where I want it, I need to put a different scope base on my 336, and also some kind of recoil pad as well, to make the stock fit better. What I have on there now is a slip on Limbsaver pad, which, with the two piece Warne scope bases, puts the eye relief on my scope in just about the right place, but the stock now feels just a little bit too long. Without the pad, it feels a little short. So I am looking to refinish my beat up wood stock, and fit a recoil pad to it that is about half the thickness of the slip-on pad, and change my scope base to an EGW. What kinds of recoil pads do people recommend for these rifles?

Thanks!
b/4 you do anything try it with the clothes you most likely will be wearing hunting,if it feels a little short ,maybe with your coat on it would be about right. just a thought .~~Chaser11

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
b/4 you do anything try it with the clothes you most likely will be wearing hunting,if it feels a little short ,maybe with your coat on it would be about right. just a thought .~~Chaser11
You are correct. I had this happen with a shotgun once. With hunting clothes it kept getting caught when I tried to shoulder it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am trying it with the clothes I'm hunting in. I've been hunting and walking a lot lately, and practicing over and over again bringing it up quickly, and with the fat slip-on pad it does catch on my clothing sometimes, but without it, it feels too short. something not too thick is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought a red rubber Marlin pad from one of the forum members and, for me, it's perfect. With the attached, black spacer, it's about 3/4" at its deepest and about 1/2" at the shallowest (because it has a slight curve). For me, it wasn;t so much about length as it was about recoil..... I just needed a little padding that the original black "hard rubber" (phenolic?) couldn;t give me. I'm not sure where you would get one of these...maybe from Marlin.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
The pachmayr speed mount slip ons have a smooth plastic? portion that helps keep the pad from catching on clothing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the snag reducing corner on that one, but I'm trying to get away from the slip on thing. I don't like the way it fits, or slides around, and it traps moisture under there that was not so great for the wood, when hunting all day in the rain. That Marlin one looks just about right, though..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts