Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
i have a little of everything.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks. whats your recommendations for a peep sight for this rifle? looking for durability and ease of use. want to keep this rifle as light and compact as possible. no scopes.

·
Premium Member
12,373 Posts
"Best" is difficult. Some shooters might prefer one, others another.

Recently I put a Skinner peep on my Marlin 39A, and it's working out just perfectly. It's very light and compact and I think it compliments the rifle nicely:

I've also happily used Williams and Lyman peep/receiver sights on several of my lever action rifles over the years. They're excellent too. A bit bulkier, but easy to adjust and time proven:

I think that the Skinners have a nicer appearance, but the Lyman and Williams sights are time-tested and work great. Pretty much up to you as to which you prefer.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
i have a little of everything.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Best" is difficult. Some shooters might prefer one, others another.

Recently I put a Skinner peep on my Marlin 39A, and it's working out just perfectly. It's very light and compact and I think it compliments the rifle nicely:

I've also happily used Williams and Lyman peep/receiver sights on several of my lever action rifles over the years. They're excellent too. A bit bulkier, but easy to adjust and time proven:

I think that the Skinners have a nicer appearance, but the Lyman and Williams sights are time-tested and work great. Pretty much up to you as to which you prefer.

Regards, Guy
do they work with the original front sight? ive read alot of reviews that say they dont and im not a fan of fiber optic sight posts. reviews ive read say they are prone to breakage.

·
Premium Member
12,373 Posts
Without installing the rear sight, it's difficult to determine if you'll need a taller front sight. It's entirely possible.

If so, no big deal, Skinner offers taller front sights, and a phone call will get you their best advice. The first Skinner sight I bought was one of their tall front sights. I used it in conjunction with a Williams rear sight on a Marlin 336. The Marlin front sight wasn't tall enough to work with the Williams sight.

But that changes from rifle to rifle. Some work, some don't. It's an easy matter to replace the front sight if necessary.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you do have to replace the front sight I would at the Partridge front sight from Skinner. I installed one on my Winchester trapper and my Henry H001T and really liked the sight picture. My son took a liking to the 336CS [Jm] and he hasn't returned it and its been 15 years. Its quite a joke between us.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I think the decision to either get the Williams fool proof or a sight like the Skinner is if you will be changing the sight settings for different loads or different ranges. If you will be changing it even every now and then I would get the Williams as you could keep a record to reset for different conditions. I had to change the front sight on my 336 when I mounted the Williams on my rifle.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it.
Set-it-and-forget-it or Easily Adjustable and Repeatable.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have used just about all the types. Lyman receiver, lyman tang, skinner low profile, std skinner, skinner winged, xs...I havent had to replace the front sight on any of them yet. All had enough adjustment to zero at 100yds. Most of them require removing the rear sight to get a full un interrupted sight picture...another option that is much cheaper and works like a hot is the marbles bulls eye rear sight... its essentially a barrel mounted peep with elevator adjustment same as your semi buckhorn..
Personally the tang and receiver sights by William's and Lyman can be a bit fragile if your banging the rifle around much....my guns are working rifles and while I don't abuse them they are used as tools and packed on quad, in truck, in pack ect and are not safe queens in the least.... if your somewhat careful you shouldn't have an issue but they do have delicate little screw threads, thin flat springs and such...
Skinner and XS are sight in and set and don't adjust on the fly. Incredibly tough very high quality peeps that are awesome....but you loose feild adjustability..the bullseye is a tough steel rear sight that combines the best of both worlds although since its barrel mounted it may be an issue for some peopkes eyes... as for front sights...
I've had a willuams firesight on my 336 for 5years now and haven't been overly careful and hacent broke it yet even with relatively rough treatment...
I live in the far north of Alberta Canada in some of the roughest country there is....currently we have about 36" of snow cover and while its warm today (-6c) it was -30 to -50 for three weeks straight starting out just before christmas...in our area guns are necessary tools and do get treated like them.

Hope some of this info helps in your decision making.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I've used XS rear peeps for the last three decades. All steel, compact and rugged. Different sized loops for different needs are easy to buy. This loop is threaded for Lyman or Williams apertures. I think it cost me $6 direct from XS.
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Gas Tints and shades

Way back when , they were named AO Sights, for Ashley Outdoors. I used to buy their front sights in the 1990's. Some well established, old plumbing products manufacturer is named AO Smith, so the sight company was renamed at the request of the plumbing corporation.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a Williams FP on my 71 336 for about 50 years, yes it needed taller front site, I later changed out the front to a Williams firesite, thats been on the rifle close to 30 years, never an ounce of trouble with either. I run the FP without the aperture.
This has been the ultimate setup, for me, without the benefits of a scope....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was told, and I talked with the Skinner folks (great people) that some of their sights require a higher front site. The "Express Sight" is recommend for its good looks. In many cases you do NOT have to remove the semi-buckhorn and ramp. Installing a Ranger Point Precision, on the other hand, almost never requires a front sight change and they look good as well. The price for the Skinner is $90 + shipping, and the RPP is $110 plus shipping. I will choose one or the other next month. The front sight issue is never really resolved until you shoot the gun. Both locations recognize the .95 aperture as the ideal "all around" size for range work and/or hunting... I have no experience or knowledge of Williams or Lyman. I suspect that the choices here are win-win-win-win.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You will not go wrong with any of the suggestions. How they look on the gun will be the determining factor.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I’ve owned several Skinner's and liked them- and every one required a new, taller front sight.

I used the partridge type a little taller than needed and gently filed the top down as needed to zero it. Then touch up with cold blue

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
525 Posts
I like the Skinner and Williams FP.I also like the fiber optic front. Only needed a taller front one time on a 24 inch 30 30.I shimed the front ramp .062 inch so sight hood remained the same.I think any quality built peep is a good idea on a levergun, but at age 70,I can still kill um with the factory equment.You can leave the factory rear on or plug it whatever you like,but be careful if you remove it,the edges of the dovetail in the barrel are extremely sharp

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I prefer a Lyman 66LA with a Williams "Twilight" rear aperture and a fine brass BEAD front sight, I can't stand a post front sight with a rear aperture, I even changed out the front post on my AR-15's with beads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts