Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;D ;D ;D
Down thisaway we all hunt on clubs. Private land is hard to get permission to hunt in many cases, and hunting public property here is a sad joke. Law abiders seem to get mickey mouse tickets while crooks and thieves do just like they please. So most 'normal' hunters here lease land as a club, and set their own rules (within state laws of course).

Our old hunting club was a real good group of guys. The property was only so-so, and didn't have all that many deer it seemed. Then, this winter, it was bought by a farmer, and so we lost our old hunting club. It seems all good things come to an end. This morning I got an email. Our old hunting club president said we got the lease on the very property I'd always wanted to hunt! I could dance on air!!

This is a piece of property I've wanted to hunt all my life. It has swamps, briar patches, long roads, cut downs, and lots of pines. Plenty of deer, bear and turkey. I've wanted to hunt here since I was a kid, but it was run by a group of folks that I couldn't get along with. They seemed greedy and unfair, and lots of people thought like I do in this regard. :(

Now, after all this time, I can hunt 'at home'. Mom's folks are from over that way, and I used to live there. It's only 20 minutes or so from the house, and I feel like an exile that's been allowed to return home! I don't know if any of you have been in a similar situation, but I am so excited I can barely type or think straight!

A small part of me is sad for the folks that lost the lease. They held that lease for 40 years. But they (the officers) tended to look down on the folks who shared the lease with them, and didn't treat folks evenly. So in some way, I wonder if they did it to themselves. They had 50 members, and only 30 of em paid dues every year. All good things come to an end. I'm a bit sorry for them, but very glad to have this chance to hunt on a good piece of property with (what I hope will continue to be) a very good group of guys!

I feel blessed for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Good for you ;) Ya know, hearing stuff like this makes me feel fortunate that I've got private property to hunt on. Of course I still on occasion have to run some poachers off of the land :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Congrats! There was really nice deer lease adjoining our club (this was years ago, in SE Texas); more land, better feed, more deer/squirrels, pretty woods. But you had to get on a "list" and wait for someone to die to get on it! In 1987, I answered The Call and left for Bible school, up in Oklahoma. My wife and I knew we would never be moving back ( been in Utah going on 21 yrs now) so I forgot about taking my name off the list. Sure enough, first part of '88, I get the call that I can join! Bummer! I had to pass. Bad part for them, about 3 yrs later, the paper Company clear cut it all, even the White Oaks!. Briers ruled for over a decade, now they have small pines and briers. I'm glad I don't live down there still. But I am jazzed you got the good lease, nothing like home ( unless it's briers/clearcut,ha!)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Congratulations! A similar thing happened to me last year, we had a lease for 10 years and had it setup perfectly. We had worked it hard clearing areas for food plots and shooting lanes, building tree stands, and a hunting camp/camper. The property went up for sell about two years ago and we figured it would not sell due to the economy but as luck would have it, it did. The guy that bought it agreed to lease it back to us but his price was about 40% higher. The property was two hours from my house so it was not somewhere you could take an afternoon and go to hunt and with gas prices the way they were then it cost close to $100 for a weekends hunt.

As luck would have it, I was talking to a good friend of mine and he knew this person who had an old farm that she may be interested in leasing. It turned out that we were able to lease it along with two other tracks of land 15 minutes from home… The best part of it is two of the three of us killed wall hanger bucks this past season…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.