Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm probably asking a bit much here, but I want to get into bow hunting and can't really afford a 1k rig. My budget will probably be around three bills for the bow. I looked at a PSE deer hunter that I kinda liked? Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Try the PSE Stinger. I have had mine three years and liked it enough to have it restrung with top of the line string and cables. It is nothing really fancy but it will fill what you are looking for. Deer and hogs do not care if the arrow comes from a $1200 Hoyt or a $300 dollar PSE.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You are absolutely right,, you don't need a $1000 bow to kill deer. I like Mathews but mine, although top of the line when I bought it, is now is at least 10 years old. They keep coming out w/new ones every year but a lot of that is marketing.
I really, really like the one cam technology for a modern bow. (not a long bow or re-curve) I wont shoot it for 8-9 months, pick it up and just whack the bulls eye at 20 -30 yards no problem.
Have you tried craigs list and the like for used bows? Esp. if your right handed.. A lot of guys end up selling, even if they want $500-600, offer em $300 and see what they say.

Reactions: sack

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
Hello again Deadcrow,bear, pse, martin etc... all have new model entry level bows that are in the $300 range.Dont think for one minute that because of the price these are not quality bows,because they are.They entry priced bows are leaps and bounds ahead of what we used to shoot 25 years ,or even ten years ago.You can but one all set up through Bass pro shops ,ready to hunt for about $379.My first compound was a bear whitetail II,purchased new in 1988 for $115.I shot a slew of deer with that bow before the bigger and better bow wars started.My bow now is a $1000 bowtech.I have had it for 4 years.My next bow will be one of these entry level bows,as the price of these newer bows is ridiculous.I had the opportunity to shoot a couple last week at the pro shop,and im telling you what,give or take 20 ft per second,they shoot just as good if not better than the bow I had to have.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
They entry priced bows are leaps and bounds ahead of what we used to shoot 25 years
Ain't that the truth!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I got my wife a mission craze this year and I have to say that I am impressed with it. It was under 300 and is real quite and has a huge range of pull weight adjustment. I think it will go from 20-70lbs with the nothing more than tightening the limb screws. The only thing that is off for me is that its short axle to axle but a lot of people like it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, don't hesitate on a good starter bow. I hunted with a 70# recurve for many years (when you pulled back... you better be ready to release cause you ain't gonna be holding it). When i switched to a compound, i did swing for an expensive bow (Ross Cardiac) about 4-5 years ago. I've not bought into the "gotta have the latest /greatest" bag of snot that the marketers try to get you to do where if your bow ain't the latest, you'll miss the next deer... blah, blah, blah.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Opinions,while helpful may or may not help you. Everybody is different in their want and needs. Plus,experience level makes a world of difference as well as to what type of bow you might end up with.
I`d go on line to say,Bass Pro and look at their line of bows. Some where along the line your going to have to "try" one or several
styles to get a feel for what suites you or try a bow shop. Experienced help will save you money in the long run.
Great sport! Get set up correctly and practice........a lot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
find a good used bow IMO

cant go wrong.....know your draw length so you dont have to waste a hundy on a new cam, and take advantage of someone dumping that $1k bow

plenty of good deals out there, and will be ready to go with usually a case, quiver, sights, rest, and arrows. truly ready to go, craigslist is your friend...ebay IS NOT !!!!

so to answer the original question....there is NONE a new $300 bow is junk

but you can find martin, mathews, PSE for a good deal used

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
DeadCowPoe,

Did you get a bow? It's been a while since I've had an opportunity to add some posts. My post may be too late but I wanted to add that the bow is only part of the cost. My raw bow was $400. It was another $100 for the RAK package - sight, rest and silencers. It was another $100 for the arrows, release, field tips, broadheads and case. It was another $100 for the target block and I wish I had spent $150 for the Rino. My $400 bow actually cost me $700 and should have cost $750. You can probably get enough decent equipment to practice and hunt for $500.

That said, I would have spent about $400 to $500 in ammunition if I had shot my 336 as many times as I've shot my bow this summer and I've only lost two arrows which cost about $5 each. I also could not have shot a rifle that many times where I shoot my bow without losing my target practice privileges from the noise.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Check the stores for last year's model. I got a Reflex (made by Hoyt) at BPS a few years back for about $300. Still using it with no plans of letting it go. Of course, like many have mentioned, when you start adding accessories the cost goes up. When I finished, I thought I might as well have bought another rifle, but I can't shoot a rifle in the back yard or use it during archery season. I use archery season not just to hunt, but to scout for gun season.

Nothing wrong with a good long bow or recurve either; you can even make your own. That's my next project. Google bow making and you just might find your answer there.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
When I finished, I thought I might as well have bought another rifle, but I can't shoot a rifle in the back yard or use it during archery season. I use archery season not just to hunt, but to scout for gun season.
Exactly. It makes target practice and hunting much more accessible. I can hunt a few times with a rifle a year but I hunt dozens of times with my bow and crossbows. With the easy target practice and scouting it becomes an almost year round pursuit.

Reactions: 4T57T

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have a complete 2010 set up, hardly used , it was my backup rig to my main bow, Parker Wildfire XP, Includes everything even the parker soft bow case, a real nice fast eassy to use bow. Its 27 or 28 draw lengh, i have both cams. Thinking of selling. Would want $250.00 plus shipping. Can e m,ail pics. Semd me a pm if interested.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DeadCowPoe,

Did you get a bow? It's been a while since I've had an opportunity to add some posts. My post may be too late but I wanted to add that the bow is only part of the cost. My raw bow was $400. It was another $100 for the RAK package - sight, rest and silencers. It was another $100 for the arrows, release, field tips, broadheads and case. It was another $100 for the target block and I wish I had spent $150 for the Rino. My $400 bow actually cost me $700 and should have cost $750. You can probably get enough decent equipment to practice and hunt for $500.

I was not able to get my bow this year, went to get my car inspected and ran into 1k worth of repairs, next thing I know it was Archery season. I did check out a few bows from Mission, Matthews and Bear that were pretty affordable. I wouldn't have had enough time to practice but it would have been a nice excuse to get into the woods to relax. I'm hoping to scrape up some money over the winter/spring and get something going, plus my daughters are showing some interests as well, so thats getting me even more inspired to get a bow and start practicing. Some of the bows are a little to "space age" looking for me looking for something kind of simple and clean looking. Really like the Mission I looked at (can't remember the model). But I do understand that any bow that fits me is going to be much more accurate than I can shoot it. They legalized crossbow's in my state(NH), but it's the same time as firearm season, so I can cant get out as early as Archery season which runs Sep 1st to Dec 18th I think.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
DeadCrowPoe,

The Mission Craze has an adjustable draw weight from 15# to 70#. That makes it adjustable for you and your daughters.

·
Registered
64 Posts
DeadCrowPoe,

The Mission Craze has an adjustable draw weight from 15# to 70#. That makes it adjustable for you and your daughters.
The Craze is a great bow for the money plenty fast enough and highly adjustable. I will also throw in the Martin Threshold, not as adjustable as the Craze at 200 bucks it's good value as well. IMHO these are two of the best bang for the buck new bows on the market.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update, I found my bow, it,s a Parker Inferno, put it on law away a few weeks ago. Can't wait.They let me shoot it whenever I stop in to make a payment. Its so much fun, I have a feeling my Marlins may be collecting a little dust this year.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I went into local archery shop looking for a back yard target bow and they know I am one of those "money is no object" guys when it comes to what I want. They carry Hoyt, PSE, Mathews, and Mission and they recommended the Mission CRAZE and if you did not know MISSION is made by MATHEWS....

GB45

1 - 20 of 38 Posts