Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone new here so bear with me a bit if you have heard it all before but I am looking for a mod for my new 243 hear in Cornwall and would like to hear what more experienced people have to say on the subject, thank you

·
Registered
884 Posts
"Moderator" is a term for a silencer, or suppressor. Most fan-boys get pissy if you use the term "silencer". I say.... Well that would be sensored.... But if the term "silencer" was good enough for it's inventor....

The problem with your question, is that devilish word you used: "Best". Best is a term used to personalize a set of conditions. Since no one but you can tell you what you like the most.... There is no BEST.
Suppressors have a whole gamut of trade-offs, just like everything in life. Do you like light weight, do you like Db reduction, do you like a specific tonal quality, do you like cheap, do you like thread Mount, do you like QD???

I have shot MANY suppressors that were quieter than others, by the decibel meter, but something about the tone was not kind to me. So decide on the "features" you like, then shoot them and decide. I like the "sound" from Yankee hill, and Gemtech. I don't care for shark, but that is my personal taste.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I know nothing of moderators since they are not common in my circles. I am interested in how much of a reduction in sound would be possible in a round such as a .243 Winchester. Also if there is a loss of accuracy after having one installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you

I forgot that in your wide open spaces no one bothers about the odd shot or two but here a lot of people use mods for woodland stalking.The general opinion seems to be that they help with accuracy and depending on model and type add only a little weight to the barrel,however there seems to be many types and makers and my thought was that as there is many more Marlin owners out there than here someone might have some good ideas. Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I haven't heard of them always helping accuracy. From what I understand you need to use subsonic ammo to get the most benefits of them. Also accuracy will depend a lot on the gun and ammo combo. A guy at work put one on his AR and he shoots worse groups than without it...

·
Registered
884 Posts
I haven't heard of them always helping accuracy. From what I understand you need to use subsonic ammo to get the most benefits of them. Also accuracy will depend a lot on the gun and ammo combo. A guy at work put one on his AR and he shoots worse groups than without it...
I forgot that in your wide open spaces no one bothers about the odd shot or two but here a lot of people use mods for woodland stalking.The general opinion seems to be that they help with accuracy and depending on model and type add only a little weight to the barrel,however there seems to be many types and makers and my thought was that as there is many more Marlin owners out there than here someone might have some good ideas. Thank you for your replies.
OK, so here is the rub with that part of your question.
Lots of folks use them on an AR pattern rifle, due to the barrels already being threaded. The problem with that is that you don't need precise threads for a flash hider on them, and there are LOTS of AR barrels with threads that are not cut square to the bore. That does really play heck with accuracy, Particularly with SBR's, as the bullet has barely made a full revolution before exiting.

Further into the accuracy issue, is the weight. If you buy a "standard" 4140 steel suppressor, they can weight around a pound. Hung out on the end of any barrel, but especially a thin barrel will REALLY play with barrel harmonics. So your "accurate" load may not be anymore. When you change conditions, things are different; news flash I know...
Into the theory of them. Provided the baffles are of a decent design, and not cobbled together cheaply; Then they act like the worlds best crown job, and can help your accuracy, HOWEVER you still need to have a properly threaded barrel or you can have a wonky bullet traveling past the baffels.

You don't need to shoot sub-sonic bullets for them to work. Makes the KA-BOOM of a regular rifle MUCH more pleasant to be around.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts