Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

I was looking at a good deal on 1000 rounds of S&B 158 gr soft point ammo.

$230 delivered.

Can I use this round for deer hunting under 100 yards effectively?

How about as a home defense round? Will soft point do the trick or will it pass right through without expanding?

Would 125 gr hollow point ammo be a better option?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

How is that for a price? Where I live 100 round of UMC .357 Mag runs me $30!

Any complaints on the S&B ammo?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

Mutt said:
158 gr will do the trick...........MUTT
Agreed, but expect soft point to come out the back of 2 legged vermin on frontal shots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

Like the others said, that load will "definately" do the trick on two legged varmints, especially from a rifle. Like imashooter2 said though, it'll also exit with enough energy left to possibly go through an indoor wall, and be a danger to others in the house.

I've shot the S&B 357 loads some, and a few fellows around here shoot only S&B ammo. I know it's cheap stuff, but honestly, it shoots about as good as any other factory stuff. It will also serve you very well as a deer combo up to 100 yards.
 
G

·
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

There is little argument that a good hunting bullet would not also serve the purpose for home defense, but I happen to believe that if you're looking for a hunting round, get a hunting round. If you're looking for a "manstopper", you're looking for something else.

158gr JSPs are great for hunting in the .357. A lot of fellows also like a nice array of 180gr bullets.

For home defense, I'd step back to the old standard round that has a better record for one-shot stops than any other. A 125gr JHP.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
No problem for hunting, but for home defence

I would reccomend a 12 or 20 ga with #6 shot.
Getting the bad guy would be a bitter pill if a round penetrated a wall and injured or worse a child or loved one.
Sorry to be a wet blanket but thats my opinion and my choice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
Re: No problem for hunting, but for home defence

Jim-Iowa said:
I would reccomend a 12 or 20 ga with #6 shot.
Getting the bad guy would be a bitter pill if a round penetrated a wall and injured or worse a child or loved one.
Sorry to be a wet blanket but thats my opinion and my choice.
Bird shot lacks sufficient penetration to be an effective manstopper at even moderate distances or if there is an intermediate target (like an arm) between the gun and the vitals. 4 buck is marginal and 1 buck is a better choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Re: No problem for hunting, but for home defence

imashooter2 said:
Jim-Iowa said:
I would reccomend a 12 or 20 ga with #6 shot.
Getting the bad guy would be a bitter pill if a round penetrated a wall and injured or worse a child or loved one.
Sorry to be a wet blanket but thats my opinion and my choice.
Bird shot lacks sufficient penetration to be an effective manstopper at even moderate distances or if there is an intermediate target (like an arm) between the gun and the vitals. 4 buck is marginal and 1 buck is a better choice.
In theory you are probably right, but in real life varmint control I have seen a load of #6 penetrate the skull of a racoon at 20 ft. Trust me at home defense ranges a shotgun is impressive. I would not even use a .22 inside my home, my grandchildren are to precious to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

My 1894C shoots 158 gr ammo better than anything else, so that is what I stay with. I would use soft points for hunting and JHPs for defense. I would personally not use 125 gr JHPs out of a carbine out of concern they would expand too rapidly or even come apart on impact due to the velocity. I could be wrong though...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
Re: No problem for hunting, but for home defence

Jim-Iowa said:
imashooter2 said:
Jim-Iowa said:
I would reccomend a 12 or 20 ga with #6 shot.
Getting the bad guy would be a bitter pill if a round penetrated a wall and injured or worse a child or loved one.
Sorry to be a wet blanket but thats my opinion and my choice.
Bird shot lacks sufficient penetration to be an effective manstopper at even moderate distances or if there is an intermediate target (like an arm) between the gun and the vitals. 4 buck is marginal and 1 buck is a better choice.
In theory you are probably right, but in real life varmint control I have seen a load of #6 penetrate the skull of a racoon at 20 ft. Trust me at home defense ranges a shotgun is impressive. I would not even use a .22 inside my home, my grandchildren are to precious to me.
Theory really doesn't have a lot to do with it, but every man needs to make his own choices. Here's hoping we never have to put our choices to the test! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,048 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

Defense. HP's... Hunting SP's..
 
G

·
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

I would suggest that you stack you magazine with hp and jsp ammo. A hollow point culd fill up with denim or other material. If you are using a long gun in you home defense preparation, get a shotgun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

I'm another with doubts about the 125 grain bullets. There is no doubt it is an effective manstopper from 4-6" revolvers, but it is likely to disintegrate with the 400 fps greater velocity from a carbine.

I have no doubts about the effectiveness of birdshot at close range. I've helped drag out two deer one of my hunting buddies killed with #5 while rabbit hunting. He's killed others the same way when I was not there. At ranges no greater than 10-12 yards, birdshot is lethal on a chest shot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,033 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

What Gunjunkie said. A 158-grain Softpoint is a GREAT load for deer.

For personal defense a well-constructed hollowpoint is needed. I like the Speer Gold Dots. Even out of a rifle, the 38 loads hold together well, and expand just like they're supposed to. But up close and personal, a shotgun loaded with ANYTHING is hard to beat. I like #4 Buck, but anything at halitosis range should revoke a birth certificate pretty fast.

PJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,697 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

Are there different degrees of dead? :p I suspect that any deer or man sized object taking a .357 anything in the vitals will expire shortly. Personally, I'd use the JHP for defense and 180 hardcast for hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,212 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

When I started shooting 357's about 35 plus years ago, the factory round I chose was the Winchester Lubaloy 158 gr. It was a slightly rounded semi wad cutter, as I recall. Shot enough of them to know I didn't like them and got my brass supply to boot. After that, I reloaded all manner of bullets (read several thousands) and shot everything from skunks to a wounded bear once - actually 6 times!
My conclusion was that the 357 overpenetrated for my needs. I switched to a mild 44 magnum load and then settled on the Government model 45 with Winchester Silvertips. The second and third mags are full of Hydrashoks. Both rounds have been used to dispatch game and seem to work just fine.
The difference for me, is that the bullets do not ricochet like high velocity ping pong balls and bring neighbors into the freckus. I admit it. I have joined the big slow bullet group. I did it from the experience gained from firing many thousands of rounds over now nearly 40 years of shooting. Expansion or lack thereof is less of a concern and the REAL DETERINING FACTOR is shot placement.
Ok, off my soap box, for your original question. After you shoot a case of your proposed load, you will KNOW what you need. Shoot standing, sitting and on your head if you want. Shoot at anything that will respond to a bullet in a safe manner. That is the price of experience. The bottom line is that when done, you will be on your way to being an experienced shooter. You will then know what your load can or cannot do. The price of ammo is cheap, compared to the experience and CONFIDENCE that you will gain. If nothing else, you will have a good stash of brass and you will sleep better at night.
Bestboss
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Best "Manstopper" ammo for Marlin 357 mag - Softpo

I've never stopped a man so I really do not know. If I have my Marlin close by, as for Personal Defense use, I have it loaded with 185 grain Buffalo Bore JHP's.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top