Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on a low power scope for my 45-70 Marlin. Dont want to bust my wallet though.

Thnx for the input.

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
If you'll go over $300., I'll mention the new Leupold line, the VX-R. It seems to have replaced the older Leupold Euro 30 mm line, of which I own two; a 1.25-4X20 and 2-7x33. The new line-up also includes a 1.25-4X20 and 2-7x33 and the major difference with them and the Euros is that they also include a "dot" type reticle. You can get a standard duplex with center dot or a #4 type reticle, also with a center dot. When my new 1895M arrives, my plan is to top it with the VX-R 1.25-4X20 with #4 dot reticle and have a scope capable of shooting any game I can see and identify, within the realm of legality (light). It will be used for hogs, which can be hunted in many locales well after SS. (no 30 min after SS restriction in many places). A good friend has already purchased the 2-7x33 VX-R model with #4 dot reticle and likes it as much as I like my Euro. I'm absolutely sure I'll like the addition of a "dot" when needed or wanted.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Suggest Leupold Ultralight 2.5 (almost 5" eye relief on that one,) or a 1-4, or 1.5-5. All quality items with lifetime warranty. Good day, Jack

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
There is no one "best" scope, for any need. You have to determine what your optic needs are, what you can spend, and then actually try out scopes to see what works the best for you. There are ideas here for you to ponder, but the final decision must be your own.

·
Premium Member
2,730 Posts
BlueMike said:
I'm not sure what you consider a "bust to your wallet", but I've always thought the Weaver Classic V-Series were pretty good scopes for the money. I particularly like the, low power, Weaver 1-3 x 20 (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=183610) for a levergun.

Blessings...Mike
+1 On a Weaver Varible 1-3/20mm! ;) They are a nice compact scope that fits well on a Marlin. I recently got one on sale from Natchez Shooters Supply for $143.00 on sale. ::) Another good value buy is the Redfield Revolution 2 x 7/33. Good clear optics for around $140- $150 and backed by Leopold life time Warranty. Great value edge to edge clear optics. :D

CJ

·
Registered
631 Posts
Can't say enough about the low power Leupold's.
Super clear and bright, lots of eye relief, and sturdy as hell, even with stout .45-70 "Marlin Only" charges and heavy bullets. They are also nice and compact, which lets them mount low and tight, and look right on the Marlin lever rifles.
Mine are VX-3 1.5-5's. Great range as you can keep both eyes open on 1.5 power, and 4 power is as much as you will ever realisticly need with a .45-70 in a hunting situation. Mine are the illuminated versions which may be a bit over your budget, but if you don't need the illuminated reticle they are right where you need to be.
First pic shows my rifles with the standard Leupold mount and rings on top, and a rail mount set-up on the bottom which moves the scope a bit further forward giving you a little more recoil room.
Second pic is another member's set-up from a post awhile back, showing the non illuminated, fixed low power Leupold in the Leupold mounts.
In my opinion the allure of lever guns is in their liveliness and balance and classic look.
Putting too much glass on 'em ruins all three !
These scopes are light and handy, fast, (particularly with both eyes open at lowest power), and don't detract from the gun's good looks.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
+2 on the Lupys

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Leupold 1.5-5 for their price you can't get much better. I have two one on my 1894 44mag and the other on my 45-70. Everything I need in a scope on these two calibers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In the under $300 range? The Burris FFII or Vortex Diamondback are going to be your best bet. They have a Diamondback in the power range you're looking at and it comes highly recommended. Leupold makes good products, but they're greatly outclassed by much of what is on the market today and when you consider their prices, even more so. If you're going to buy Leupold (as many here suggest) I'd look for something used in the VXIII line. JMHO

ETA: If you don't need the greater light gathering capabilities, the Nikon Monarch African mentioned above is supposed to be excellent glass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts