Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I been messing around with reloading for a month now. I see
I have a few years to go before I can be very competant. I have been
working on loads for my 336, I want to use 170 grns hornady Interloc
my book says max is 28.5 for IMR 3031. But I'm reading max loads
on these boards out to 32 grns for 3031. Could someone please tell
me what an accurate Deer/ Bear hunting load would be? thanks..

·
Super Moderator
15,900 Posts
bytor said:
Hi all, I been messing around with reloading for a month now. I see
I have a few years to go before I can be very competant. I have been
working on loads for my 336, I want to use 170 grns hornady Interloc
my book says max is 28.5 for IMR 3031. But I'm reading max loads
on these boards out to 32 grns for 3031. Could someone please tell
me what an accurate Deer/ Bear hunting load would be? thanks..
I can only speak to what works best in MY GUN; 336C circa 1976:

Winchester® Case
Winchester® Primer
30.0gr IMR®3031
Hornady® 170gr FP
I can put 3 bullets into less than an inch @ 100yds; each day, all day, EVERY DAY.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I'll second what Dawei says. Repeat, this works in my Win. 94 (1962) and my Marlin 336A DL (1952):

30.0 gr. IMR3031
170 gr. FN bullet, any brand
any large rifle primer
Win. brass

This is considered by many to be one of, if not THE, classic 30-30 handload. From what I hear it turns out to be pretty servicable in any sound rifle. Having said that, it may not be the most accurate in your rifle.

If you are just beginning to reload I encourage you to stick with loads published in manuals published within the last 5 - 10 years. Some powders have changed a good deal over the last 30 - 40 years and a manual from the 1960's shouldn't be relied on today.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, I am using Lymans 48th edition reloading book
the new speer, and those individual cal reload booklets.

both guns are less than 6 months old. win 94 ae, and 336A

every thing I have read from reloaders like you suggest about 30 grains as
you both have but.. the reloading manuals say 28.5 is the Max
have had my loads at 28.5 grn of 3031. not happy at all with
that load. I started out at 25 grns of 3031. I will I HAVE to
try the 30 grns of 3031. this seems to be the universal 30-30
load !!!

Thanks guys!!

PS. barrels are fine .... was shooting win power points (170) very accurately from both levers.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I really like H4895 because it measures well enough for me and is bulky enough to be at or nearly 100% load density. Normally that will give you more consistant ammo. I started using a load that was 2 grs under max in my manual only to find that my starting load is now the max load. With open sights I can shoot, using the Sierra 170gr bullet and 30gr. H4895, 3 shot groups in the 5/8 3/4" range at 50 yds, repeatedly. I would recomend loading a few a little under that and working up. This is for two reasons. One in the off chance that max loads in the manual are overloads for your gun you don't find out the hard way. Two often a grain or two under max shoots better. That has proved to be the case in my experience shooting a Marlin 336A 30-30 using 170gr bullets. Actually I am still .5gr under max but ...

Most data stipulates that it is only valid with those exact components. And if you change anything to start low and work up. Because of bullet construction and differences in bearing surface on the bore other wise identical loads will make different pressures with different bullets of the same weight. The most obvious case of this is the Barnes X bullet being all copper it takes up more case space and is not as slick going down the barrel. Normal safe loads for lead or jacketed bullets will be too hot for the X bullet.

G

·
With the 170grn bullet, I have always found 31.5grns of IMR4895 (IMR max a couple of years ago) to be very accurate in my 336 but not as fast as Ken Waters pet load of 32.0grns of AA2460. The 2460 load is over the AA max but I've used it a bunch and never had pressure signs. I thought 32.0grns was max for the H4895 but my latest Hod. free pamplet (2003) shows a max of 30.5 for the 170 bullet. I think they just recently reduced that one unless they changed their powder. BM

Bill

PS: The same IMR pamplet shows a max for the 150grn bullet at 33.3grns of IMR4895 or 31.1grns of 3031. For the 170grn bullet it shows a 31.5grn max for the 4895 or 29.7grns for 3031.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Blue Moon according to one of my sources the Lee Modern Reloading First edition Hodgdon's supplied data with pressure information was with the bullet that they tested that gave the highest pressure. That book shows 32gr 4895 and 40,900 CUP. Their current recomendation of 30.5 gr H4895 should if they do use the highest pressure bullet for published data generates only 35,200 CUP. I don't know this but most likely the same pressure testing equipment. Either way they are giving a more conservative data in the 2003 basic loaders manual.

Personally in my gun I have been using the 32gr load, every thing looks the same as the even 30gr I was using. My groups are a little bigger with the faster load but well within my standards and em pigs where I hunt can get pretty big having the extra power is worth the 1/8-1/4" larger groups. At least in the cavernous empty space that is my mind.

B.

G

·
Thanks Bman for that check out. Lee does not do his own testing and uses all the other powder and bullet co. data with their approval. Hodgdon never made powder before buying out IMR and bought all they sold including the military surpl. They are now buying a lot of their powder from Australia which has a little copper color to it and mostly called "extreme".

It will be interesting to see if Hodgdon starts letting IMR make some of their powders now or not. They claim they don't plan to change anything for the Hod. or IMR powders for awhile, but they have a few that even have the same # like 4895 or 4198 or 4227. BM

Bill

·
Registered
177 Posts
My book has 29.5 as max for 3031 I load 29.0 and seems like plenty of power without beating up the rifle. Although 30.0 would make it a real 30-30.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You might be interested in the following site.
Do a google search, type in "Steve's Reloading Data Pages". He recommends a healthy dose of IMR3031.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Bytor, a word of caution, using just the number of the powder without the letters can get you in trouble if you are not real careful as some powders have the same number but different letters and they are totally different powders with totally different safe loads. Such as H4895 and I4895. You also have to watch out if you obtain an older powder from someone as they sometimes change the powder and give new data on the "new" powder. Just a word of caution that someone else shared with me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand what yo mean sure shot, at present I am only using
2 powders, IMR 3031 and IMR 4198. I read a couple of cautions
here previously in the forums and in my reload books. I been keeping
only the one I am using at the time in the area. I was showing my
kid and told him to read the load mix out loud, as you reach for it to poor
in to the dispenser, and make sure again as you read the load data
I have written down. Its really easy to see how a person could grab
the wrong powder off the store shelf, or out of their own collection.
thanks.

G

·
Bytor,

Another powder you may want to consider is by Winchester and is called 748. I have three 30-30 rifles and two of them shoot best with 748, although one prefers Hornady 170's and the other likes the Speer 170 better.

Winchester 748 runs through the measure beautifully since it's a ball powder.

Just another option for you to think about.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
...and speaking of ball powders, H335 is another good one if you and your rifle are so inclined.

I have had very satisfactory results with IMR 4064 with 170s (Corelokts) in my 30-30. I get useful accuracy and velocity using 32.0 grain loads.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it would be nice to be able to use my powder dispenser to get the
right loads, the 3031 and 4198 meter out like crap! I may try
one of the different powders mentioned just to see how it feels
to set the powder measurer and actually get the right amount!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts