Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I wouldn't take Winchester rimfire ammo if it was given to me. None of the 60-style Marlins I've had ever liked high velocity, in fact they ALL have preferred CCI standard velocity. Yours might be different. The way to tell is try them all instead of asking since everyone has their own opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wouldn't take Winchester rimfire ammo if it was given to me. None of the 60-style Marlins I've had ever liked high velocity, in fact they ALL have preferred CCI standard velocity. Yours might be different. The way to tell is try them all instead of asking since everyone has their own opinion.
Oh boy, I have 500 rounds of Winchester Super X 40 grain, 1300 FPS.
I've had those sitting around for four years now. Have yet to shoot any... guess I'd better find out.

·
Premium Member
4,342 Posts
OP,
A .22LR cartridge does not need to be a hollow point, to be effective, for home defense.
The smaller caliber hollow points tend to expand when passing through heavy clothing, dumping a lot of the kinetic energy, before reaching any vital organs.
A cartridge that feeds well and fires consistently in your rifle will be all you need. Well, that and well placed shots.
Andrew

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine prefers LRN, but the MiniMags perform acceptably.

I agree, the CCI SGB is one of my M60's preferred ammo, and the muzzle energy it generates is towards the high end...something usually desired for SD:
OP,
A .22LR cartridge does not need to be a hollow point, to be effective, for home defense.
The smaller caliber hollow points tend to expand when passing through heavy clothing, dumping a lot of the kinetic energy, before reaching any vital organs.
A cartridge that feeds well and fires consistently in your rifle will be all you need. Well, that and well placed shots.
Andrew

It's a possibility, but I figure that they already know much about me, especially since I have a CHP:
Is it safe to buy ammo online.. won't using a credit card be a red flag and come back to bite you later if the government comes looking? It's none of their business... All my guns I've had for years and never reported as we didn't need to back then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I went to Sportco in Fife, WA yesterday and they actually had all kinds of ammo in stocks and no limit to buy.
Needless to say, I stocked up in .22 & shotgun ammo.

Back in the 70s I had a 60 and bought a Spee-d-loader (when they first came out) - really handy with 18 x 8 tubes. Now I'm in Canada and the manufacturer doesn't ship outside USA (made in Ohio), and even so it would cost $50-60 CDN.
Ah... saw this in another post and ordered me two... to go along with 1K rounds of ammo I have.
Amazon.com : QUICK-FILL 22LR Speed Tubes - Speedloader for Tube Fed Rifles - 10 pk : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quick question

Has anybody used the speed loaders in the above linkk and if so how good are they.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
I think at 10-15 yds ANY 22 is going to slow someone down pretty quick, may not stop them, but 14 to 18 rounds IS gonna hurt!! Especially coming out of a semi auto.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think at 10-15 yds ANY 22 is going to slow someone down pretty quick, may not stop them, but 14 to 18 rounds IS gonna hurt!! Especially coming out of a semi auto.
If someone ever breaks in, they're be for a world of hurt as there are two of us.
Wife with 20ga shotgun, me with Marlin 60. They'll feel it as wife will aim for mid-section and I have red dot lasers set for 10-15 feet and will aim for either head or balls. Even a .22 will stop them. We really don't want to hurt anyone, but if they break in, it's either them or us. It ain't gonna be us. I also have several cans of bear spray.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
A 22 may slow them down and eventually kill them but not before they empty their 9mm into you.
I guess you missed the part where my wife next to me is shooting the shotgun ;)
She is aiming for the chest area. And me getting 2-3 shots off a second to their face, so between the two of us, they will be stopped cold.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm of the school of thought that:
1) Match the firearm to the shooter - perhaps it'd be better that you shoot the 20ga and she handle the 22?
2) In the dark, the brightest loudest flash (if nothing else) sends a fantastic message. As such the 20ga - or .22TCM if you're feeling handgun frisky and backstop averse - can really add to intruder confusion. (BTW, I didn't see any form of flashlight or similar in your collection.)
3) Again, in the dark, shoot and move. Do not shoot more than once from the same place.
4) Always assume the intruder is packing heavier than yourself.
5) Always aim to kill, with as few shots as possible, without taking too much time to pull the trigger.
6) Always look for new combatants should you choose to engage.
7) Never assume you can imagine what will happen during a self-defense event. You must be able to react to the situation, not attempt to guide or control it. At least not in the beginning.
Just in your explanations, you're assuming you will see the intruder or know their incoming direction, know or assume there is only one intruder, know or assume you will have the upper hand, etc. What if your wife is hit first, before either of you have fired a shot? What will be your reaction and follow-on intentions? What if you are hit first? What is your wife prepared to do?
8) Are you prepared to evade rather than engage?? Do you know how/when to make that decision? This is a biggie. It requires situational awareness - or the ability to quickly gain situational awareness - and above-average preparedness. (fwiw, this is my go-to detent - evasion - as I consider my solo force projection to be less than adequate for most civil unrest situations. This isn't to say I'm unprepared, defenseless, or unable to project force. It's just the safest approach I can foresee to live to fight another day...hopefully along side many other like-minded defenders of liberty and freedom.)
9) And to add to the evasion...once you've reached your evasion (fallback) location, do you have items of use already in place there? After all, you may not have the luxury (time/mental wherewithal) to take the things you would otherwise with you in a sudden need to exit the area.
10) Can you imagine getting close enough to run one of those jungle-whackers into a mans gullet without thinking twice? Again, as squirrely a situation as mob riots are, it is unlikely you will have the time to make any decisions. You will be reacting out of fear, instinct, and adrenaline-driven madness to survive.

No need "answer" any of these questions. They are rhetorical in nature and I offer them only as food for thought. These are serious topics for dangerous days. There is no glory in any of it.

To your ammo conundrum...the 36gr Mini-mags get a +1. I've fired them exclusively in my 60 for over 20 years. They are the most reliable and accurate rounds for the money I've found. I have no hesitations - were my 60 the only thing I had to use - in deploying them to defend my life and that of my loved ones.

Stay condition one, my friends. For it could take a life to save your own one day (possibly soon, unfortunately).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts