Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. Can I safely shoot Hollow Points for .22 long rifle with this Marlin 60?
I want proper home defense ammo, close range 10-15 ft.
I'm eyeballing:
CCI Velocitor 40gr Copper-Plated Hollow Point
22LR.jpg

Winchester Super-X 22 Long Rifle 37gr HP Hollow Point
3-0316304.jpg

22LR2.jpg
145520a-33.jpg
22LR.jpg
3-0316304.jpg
22LR2.jpg

I'm not finding any hollow points anywhere locally.
This means I have to order online and I don't like dropping my name info out there?
Thoughts?
This is what I have:
145520a-33.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,605 Posts
I shoot CCI 36 grain CPHP. You look like you are looking at HyperVelocity ammo... That is a little hot for a Model 60. It'll do it, but, it is rough on the recoil spring... Stick with High velocity and your rifle will be happier. Between 1000 and 1250 fps...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shoot CCI 36 grain CPHP. You look like you are looking at HyperVelocity ammo... That is a little hot for a Model 60. It'll do it, but, it is rough on the recoil spring... Stick with High velocity and your rifle will be happier. Between 1000 and 1250 fps...
Good to know and why I posted here. Is this what you shoot?
22LR-3.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only HP ammo I had trouble with in my Model 60 was CCI Stinger 32 gr. hollow point. Haven't tried the others as I sold my Model 60 many years ago. I had no trouble with heavier HP ammo though. I would certainly buy a box or two of each and see how it runs in your rifle.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mini -Mags will work fine. With the recent rioting, you'll be lucky to find any ammo.Most of the LGS around here are always out of .22 LR, but still have .17 HMR and .22 WMR.
Walmart always seems to have a few boxes of Mini-Mags, and sometimes the 1500 round buckets of golden Bullets.

P.S. I'd get some bigger knives, the ones you show in the pic look kind of dinky.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mini -Mags will work fine. With the recent rioting, you'll be lucky to find any ammo. Most of the LGS around here are always out of .22 LR, but still have .17 HMR and .22 WMR.
I went to Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsmans today and all hollow points were sold out and only a few boxes of regular 22 LR left and limited to four boxes each.
Walmart always seems to have a few boxes of Mini-Mags, and sometimes the 1500 round buckets of golden Bullets.
Walmart wants to scan your driver's license... NOT!!!
P.S. I'd get some bigger knives, the ones you show in the pic look kind of dinky.
Your kidding right!?
Is it safe to buy ammo online.. won't using a credit card be a red flag and come back to bite you later if the government comes looking? It's none of their business... All my guns I've had for years and never reported as we didn't need to back then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
50 yards...
Perfect. I want to sight in the Marlin between 50-100 yards with scope.
With the laser red dot, that will be sighted in for close, like 10-15 yards.
Best of both worlds.
On both shotguns, I have the lighted red dot scope for birds and the
laser red dot for indoors 10-15 yards.

Now to find the right ammo for home defense. I have a lot of the regular ammo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about this one for HD with my Marlin Model 60 (1975 model)?

Winchester 22 LR Ammunition XPERT HV 36 Grain Lead Hollow Point

·
Super Moderator
15,605 Posts
I've shot HyperVelocity ammo in one of my Model 60's and it didn't like it. Not only did it slam the bolt back into the buffer hard enough to notice the difference it also opened the group up to 4" at 100 yards...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noted... can't get it or other .22 ammo anywhere online anyways... it's a world gone mad out there
I have a 1000 rounds of Winchester SuperX 40 grain, 1300fps anyways, just no hollow points.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I would use the shotgun with #4 bird shot in the cheapest reliable loads I could find. It will already punch a hole almost 3 times the diameter than the 22. At 10-15 feet it will stop better too. I would switch to #4 buck of 0 buck for loleft handed. Slugs for beyond 40 yards.
I would ditch that thumb hole stock too. You are screwed if you have to shoot lefthanded.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would use the shotgun with #4 bird shot in the cheapest reliable loads I could find. It will already punch a hole almost 3 times the diameter than the 22. At 10-15 feet it will stop better too. I would switch to #4 buck of 0 buck for lol Left handed. Slugs for beyond 40 yards.
I would ditch that thumb hole stock too. You are screwed if you have to shoot lefthanded.
I have a 1000 rounds of standard shotgun ammo too. But want to add at least 1000 more for each gun as the state of WA is going to do like CA did soon, requiring ID to get ammo.

I will never shoot left handed, but if needed I have the original walnut checkered stock.
The plan is if it gets bad like rioters coming onto property and trying to break in wife will be loading one gun while I'm shooting the other other gun... this way we're going non-stop.

Hopefully this won't happen as we do live 7 miles SE from Puyallup, 25 miles from Tacoma and 50 miles from Seattle.
My cul-de-sac block is all hunters with guns and I live at the end of the cul-de-sac.
My 2 car garage is half full of ensensil supplies, food, water, medical, toiletries etc. But better to be prepared eh?
I don't want to be waiting in those loooooong lines that wrap around the block like they did a couple months ago, only
to find out what you want is all sold out.

If we have an extended blackout or EMP, things will get BAD. 7 months ago, no one saw this coming. I was already ready for it though, but since added to supplies.

·
Super Moderator
15,605 Posts
Midsouth Shooters Supply has a fair amount left.... I'll PM you a link...

I've shot the Cascade and it shoots and cycles well in a Model 60...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I shattered the plastic buffer in my model 60 20 years ago shooting hi velocity ammo. I would stick to standard velocity ammo which should be plenty powerful eneough? Although....The new buffers are a lot better plastic than 20 years ago.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Jack my home defense shotgun is loaded first two rds are 71/2 next 2 000 buck last is 3/4 oz slug. like 71/2 in the house as they will not go through 2 walls and hurt the kids on the other side.

Reactions: MF72
1 - 20 of 32 Posts