Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best "Ghost Ring" for my 336 ?

I’m thinking of buying a “XS Ghost Ring” (through Midway) for 336C 30/30.....

Product #: 920514
Manufacturer #: ML-0012-5
XS Ghost-Ring Hunting Sight Set White .100" Post Front .
230" Ghost Ring Rear Marlin 336, 30AS and 1894 with Integral Ramp Fits Newer .70 Hole Space Front Base Matte

But in “comments” someone wrote that the front sight won’t fit newer 336's and has to be exchanged via the manufacture. Is this true? Should I look at a different one and save the hassle? Are there better ?
My 336 is a 2005.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts

It's not necessary to purchase the entire set. I was able to purchase the rear ring alone and I opted to use the proper sized HiViz front sight instead. You will no doubt need a taller front with this receiver mounted ring.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts

You might look at the Williams, They cost a hell of a lot less. I have been using them for over 20 years and have yet to have a problem with them.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I've used the Williams for going on 40 years now. Best ghost ring for me: Simply unscrew the aperture insert and put it in your pocket. I've got several of the true "ghost ring" inserts, but like the sight best with no insert at all.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Marlin has one for “336CS”. But I don’t know if the “CS” means C & SS or an older model called “CS”.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

Get the top mount peep for your rifle that uses the rear scope mount holes, and sourdough front sight. To get the correct height just measure your current sight from the base to the top the sight, this will be in thousands which you can convert from inch measurement, ie .500 is 1/2, .375 is 3/8 You will have the best of worlds at less pain on the wallet. It was suggested that you remove the insert for ghost ring, that is the way to go. The fiber optic front sights are also a good option when going this way for hunting, instead of the sourdough. The sourdough makes a good competition sight.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just a note,

One of the “reviews” about the XS Ghost Ring (at Midway) stated he found that “the front post was too short for his newer 336 and had to call XS Sights and exchange it for a taller one.

So I called XS myself and asked if it would fit mine ok. The guy tried to tell me that “one new 336 (30/30) may shoot a lot higher or lower than another new 336 (30/30) and I’ll have to test it out on mine first, to see if I can zero it in.

That seems like BS to me. I can’t see marlin (or any one else) having to test each one of thier guns to find out which size front post to put on it before shipping. Specially not when the rear has 16" of elevation @ 100 yds.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

OK, I guess the ghost ring is out. Now I’m thinking a Williams Peep,

Williams FP-336 Set Receiver Peep Sight with Front Fire Sight Marlin 336, 1894 (Installs at Rear Scope Mounting Holes) Aluminum Matte

But I’m concerned about it interfering with the hammer. I don’t want to use that “offset hammer spur”. But I do want something rugged. And Midway doesn’t seem to carry those Lyman’s. I can get it without the front “Fire Sight”, if I don’t need it.
Any body have’em on their 336's ?

BTW, I’ll probably be getting one for my 39A too.
Yea, the rear sight leaf broke again. This time I took it to the range, flipped it up and found that the tongue that holds it up had broken off. Had to duct tape it up or loose an (payed for) hour of shooting. It was ok when I folded it down and put it in the bag the night before. Got that poorly made one back on it for now.

·
Registered
69 Posts

. The guy tried to tell me that “one new 336 (30/30) may shoot a lot higher or lower than another new 336 (30/30) and I’ll have to test it out on mine first, to see if I can zero it in.
Not bs at all.

The rear factory sight has enough range of adjusment to work with the factory front sight in the normal variance range of the riles. On one rifle it might hit 100yards POI when the rear sight is adjusted all the way up, on another all the way down.

You run into problems when you have a rifle that is at the extreme end of the adjusment spectrum.

Suppose you have a rifle that requires the factory rear sight to be at it's lowest setting to zero the rifle at 100yards. If you put a replacement rear sight on it, Williams, XS etc, it will be higher than the factory sight. As a result you will not be able to adjust the sight low enough to achieve zero. It will be shooting high. You will have to replace the front sight with a taller one. The need to make this change to a taller front sight is very common with any peep sight.

XS includes a replacement blade that will work for "most" rifles. Occasionally a rifle will shoot out of the normal adjusment range and require a different front sight.

I highly recommend the XS set. I like the sight picture of the front post/ghost ring combo. I have it my 39a and prefer it to the firesight/williams 5D setup on my 336. If I was going to be using my 336 at all I would replace it with the XS set with the specialy calibrated .35 Rem front sight.

IMHO the XS set looks cleaner on the rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ghost Ring

I have a 336 and an 1895 which both wear Lyman 66A receiver sites. Like has been suggested elsewhere, I don't use the discs and just use it as a ghost ring site. I use the factory front site on both and have had no problems sighting-in like the one you describe with the XS.

BTW, Midsouth has Lyman's pretty cheap ($57 or so).

·
Registered
43 Posts

How big is the hole on the lymans/williams with the rear disc out?

Is it the same size as the Xs - .191?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts