Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's,

Here lately I've had an interest in getting another folding lockback. Something below 40 $'s.

Something along the lines of a Buck 110, Shrade Old Timer Bear Paw,, or something of similar Size.

I went to a local store that carries several knive's, looked over what he had,, and got a Rite Edge(Chinese) in about the size mentioned above 3 1/2" blade and 5" Handle. The price was only 7 $'s,, so I said what the heck,, I'll go ahead and get it,, even though I still want a little bit stronger and better quality lockback.

The next Gun & Knife Show in my area is June 4th & 5th,, so I intend to go and see what is out there.

That is if the World doesn't end next Saturday,, like they are a say'n in New York. I believe um too,, but I've always had a dream of owning a 1000 acre's,, so if someone's got a 1000 acre's for sale,, I'm pay'n ONE Dollar an Acre!!!!

I can get the Buck 110 for about 30 $'s,, so if you can help steer me in the Right direction,, I would be much abliged,

Joe :)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
336SS, Walmart has Buck 110's(made in USA) for 28.95, should do the trick I'd say....smile. The other options are somewhat limited but hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you. Good luck on your search!

Jesse

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MontanaMan said:
336SS, Walmart has Buck 110's(made in USA) for 28.95, should do the trick I'd say....smile. The other options are somewhat limited but hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you. Good luck on your search!

Jesse
Thanks Jesse,

I've been a looking at the Buck 110 at WalMart's. It may be 27 $'s at our Store,, but to tell the truth,, can't remember exactly. It was under 30 $'s though for sure,, before 10% Tax's.

I also ran upon a Schrader Old Timer Bear Paw for 31 $'s OTD.

I really want to go to the Gun and Knife Show that'll be coming June 4th & 5th here,, but I sure would like to know what to be a look'n for before hand,, as I don't buy knives that much. Just got the itch to get a Good Strong Lockback similar in size to the above mentioned.

That Buck 110 sure does look like a good strong knife,

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
MontanaMan said:

Jesse
$28.95 ????? Bought one last year for my brother for his 50th and paid $114. ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
T-Bone said:
When I saw your question, the Buck 110 was the first knife that came to mind. I'd say get one and don't look back. I have several Buck knives. They are great.

TBone,

I'm leaning towards the Buck 110,, as it appears to be a good strong lockback at a good price,, and everyone seems to like them a lot.
Oz said:
$28.95 ????? Bought one last year for my brother for his 50th and paid $114. ::) ::) ::)

OZ,

How's things going in Australia? I've noticed that there are varying prices on the 110's,, especially on the Special Production One's,, with special character's and engraveing's.

Here in America,, we have a Store called WalMart's. Some say a Blessing,, and Some say a curse. But for me,, it's where I have to purchase Everything that I can,, to save money's. They've got merchandise from Grocerie's, Gun's, Boot's, Clothing, Sporting Good's,, at about the lowest price's around,, for poor folks like me.
Hunter2506 said:
I carry a oldtimer and a small swiss army, both good knivies.
I see Browning has new Gunstock folding knivies. http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/catalog.asp?catalog_=G
Hunter,

Thanks for bringing up the Old Timer,, and Browning,, which is another reason,, I just want to go to the Gun & Knife Show,, to see what is available,, before I make the buy. I'm not going to spend much,, but still I want to try and get the Strongest Best LockBack for the money. I may go ahead,, and put the Buck 110 on layaway,, just to make sure that I get one,, in case the world end's next Saturday...

Thank's again for everyone's help,, and if anyone else has another brand,, that you would like to mention,, please do.

That Buck 110 keeps drawing me to it like a magnet though,

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Mark I'm sorry to hear about the high price my friend, I feel your pain....smile. If I was as close to where Terry lives as your are I'd run not walk over there to buy one of those works of art he makes. I'd love to have that small hunter.

Joe unless that Bear Paw is an old one it's probably made in china. The Buck 110 is made right here in the USA. The 110's are very strong and will do most anything you need to do.

Jesse

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MontanaMan said:
Mark I'm sorry to hear about the high price my friend, I feel your pain....smile. If I was as close to where Terry lives as your are I'd run not walk over there to buy one of those works of art he makes. I'd love to have that small hunter.

Joe unless that Bear Paw is an old one it's probably made in china. The Buck 110 is made right here in the USA. The 110's are very strong and will do most anything you need to do.

Jesse
Hey Jesse,

This is a lot of fun,, looking for a new knife.

Check out WalMart.com!!! Wow,, they have a lot more knives than in the Store,, and shipping is free to the Store!!!

Funny thing though,, Walmart.com,, has the Schrade Bear Paw for 25 $'s,, but doesn't list the Buck 110!!! ??? Weird.

They've got the Buck 110 at my local store for 27 $'s though. The Buck Warranty seems to be better from what I have read.

I'm also sort of looking for a large Bowie Knife as well,, so another reason to go to the Gun & Knife Show,, and maybe the Buck 55 or 112.

I sure hope I don't get addicted to knives like I've gotten addicted to Guns,

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Joe I know what you mean, I've been hooked on knives for more years than I've been hooked on guns....grin. I have a 336SS and it sounds like you do too...smile. Mine is set up with Weaver two piece bases, low Burris Zee rings, and a straight 4 power Leupold scope. I've killed 3 deer with my 336SS, all head shots, I like that rifle.

The Buck 110 is not the only Buck knife that Walmart carries, they also carry American made Buck fixed blades for very good prices. Take a look at the other threads here on this board for bunches of other options. The thread that I started titled "I Love Catherine" will give you a whole lot to think about....smile. Tops Knives are superb to say the least. The Grohmann knives are incredible too and they make a lock back that will knock your eyes out. Check out this information.......

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/folders.html

http://www.topsknives.com/

Good luck!

Jesse

·
Registered
578 Posts
MontanaMan said:
The Buck 110 is made right here in the USA. The 110's are very strong and will do most anything you need to do.

Jesse
Agreed!

The old time-tested 110 really is the small block Chevy of lock-backs, and impossible to beat at the price point.

Everyone should own at least one in his/her lifetime.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Amen Charlie! Did you get the nasty winds down there like we did? I thought it was going to blow us away for about 3 days there.

Jesse

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not all that much wind but we're sure getting more than our share of rain. YUCK!

Hey,,,, look what I found in the sale bin at the hardware store while I was getting some stuff for the garden last Fri..

I could live without the silly "art-work" on the sheath, but for 22.95 + tax, I couldn't pass it up.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Charlie sorry to hear about all the rain, we've gotten some but not a lot so far. I sure wish I could find an Estwing in the sale bin! You have all the luck my friend....smile. I need another day or so and I'll get some pictures up of the knives my Catherine gave me yesterday....yer gonna love these! The house building project is proceeding at what seems like a snails pace but it's really not, I know. It's just that we want to move......bad...........smile...The oak floors are installed, now comes the staining and finishing. The guy doing it is really good, the floors are beautiful and I can't wait to see them finished. Take care my friend.

Jesse

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MontanaMan said:
Joe I know what you mean, I've been hooked on knives for more years than I've been hooked on guns....grin. I have a 336SS and it sounds like you do too...smile. Mine is set up with Weaver two piece bases, low Burris Zee rings, and a straight 4 power Leupold scope. I've killed 3 deer with my 336SS, all head shots, I like that rifle.

The Buck 110 is not the only Buck knife that Walmart carries, they also carry American made Buck fixed blades for very good prices. Take a look at the other threads here on this board for bunches of other options. The thread that I started titled "I Love Catherine" will give you a whole lot to think about....smile. Tops Knives are superb to say the least. The Grohmann knives are incredible too and they make a lock back that will knock your eyes out. Check out this information.......

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/folders.html

http://www.topsknives.com/

Good luck!

Jesse
Jesse,

Thanks for the links to the other Brands of Knives. Man,, Knives sure can get expensive!!!

Oh Yea,, I Love My Marlin 336ss in 30/30. I got mine,, way before Marlin was Sabotaged. Although Mine is not a Safe Queen,, I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't even shot it yet though!!!! I know,, it's a crime,, but just haven't really had the need to yet. I will though,, when the time come's. I consider the 30/30 a survival gun,, and wanted to replace an earlier Marlin 30/30 that Left without say'n goodbye... Here lately my shooting activitie's are mainly with my Lever 22's. Ammo is cheap,, and I enjoy shooting them,, after the chore's are done.

MyDogsHunt said:
Hey,,,, look what I found in the sale bin at the hardware store while I was getting some stuff for the garden last Fri..

I could live without the silly "art-work" on the sheath, but for 22.95 + tax, I couldn't pass it up.

Charlie
Charlie,, that is a Great looking Hatchet,, and looks to be SS!!!! I Love SS,, good stuff.

MyDogsHunt said:
Agreed!

The old time-tested 110 really is the small block Chevy of lock-backs, and impossible to beat at the price point.

Everyone should own at least one in his/her lifetime.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie,, Another Vote for the 110!!!

whitecloud said:
Ok, almost 100% agreed....Buck yes, but try the 112 instead of the 110. Just a bit smaller, fits better in the hand and looks just about like the 110.
My FIL looks for my knife when it's time to field dress. His fingers are more like sausages..... :)

http://buck-knife-shop.com/Buck_Knife_112.html
Thanks WhiteCloud,

I've got the 112 on the list Too,, as well as the 55!!! Oh My!! I think that I'm in Trouble... :'(

All the While I was on The Tractor Today,, couldn't stop Thinking about Knives!!!

Oh,, and I called Buck Today to make sure that the 55, 112, And the 110 are still American Made,, and The Nice Woman,, said Of Course,, made right in in Idaho.. :)

I also called Schrade,, and they are now being made in Chinese. The Rite Edge that I got for 7 $'s,, looked like a copy of the Schrade Bear Paw.

Gun's & Knive's & My Wallet is such a Shrinking Violet,

Joe ;D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Oz said:

Mate, get on US ebay. You'll get one posted out to Oz for about half what you pay for em here. Ive bought quiet a few that way with no probs.

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
G'day Scott. Yeah I know what you mean mate. I've been buying a few Svord brand knives from a Kiwi outdoors supply, heaps cheaper.

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts