Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I'm lucky or persistent but the guy has a cabinet shop and sells and collects antique wood working tools. Under the table sat a prestine 30-30 SC. I asked him what it was and he thought it was a 1970's era gun but I knew it was much earlier with the waffle top and unblemished by the way and the gun was orignal and looked like new. I asked him how much and he said $325 I said can you hold it for me while I go outside to the ATM to get the cash and I don't think he saw me running but he might have. He didn't know what he had. It is beautiful. I'm about to clean to see what the bore looks like but I knew it had to be good just like the rest of it. Can't wait to shoot it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I say you got a great deal let us know how it shoots!!!

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Pictures, please!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just got it cleaned all up and oiled and waxed... try to post some pics by tomorrow. This thing had what looked like packing grease in all the screws and cracks. Couldn't find any rust on it anywhere and the bore is bright like new. I can't believe it. I think someone bought it greased it up and put it in a safe with humidity control and then in 50 years sold it to the guy I bought it from that shot it a few times. I almost feel guilty to shoot it.....not! Can't wait till the weekend to see how it does. What's the best new or old peep sites to use? I don't dare d & t this waffle top for a scope. This will be my 100 yard rifle with a peepsight. Thanks and will report back after the trip to the range.

Jim

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Congratulations, sounds like you were being smiled upon by the Marlin gods. Those old guns are out there and seems a few of us have found a few lately. The 5D I ordered from Midway is in and on my new-to-me '50 Sc and I'm waiting on the front sight to come in from Skinner Sights. Welcome to the Waffle Club.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
It sounds to me like you really stepped in it this time. That was a super deal. I've got a couple of waffle tops myself, and they are just too cool. I use Wlliams FPs on mine and they really are well made and rugged.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Congratulations! Looking forward to pics and range report.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stykbow57 said:
Lucky dog! Nice find. Doesn't the recever have to be drilled for that peep sight? Dennis
Actually no they are factory drilled on the side of the receiver for peep sights. I know it's okay but just can't put a scope on it. My 35 Cal SC already has one but I didn't do it. Maybe one day.

Thanks,
Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.