Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out shopping today for dies for my recently acquired 336 CB in .38-55. A knowledgeable (and prolific) poster had stated somewhere that the Lyman dies were the way to go, with the "M" die being the reason. I could not find Lymans, but found a set of RCBS which were very nice, with a beautifully polished and blued expander plug.
Can anyone make a recommendation?
Thanks!

Charley

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
RCBS are fine dies and size correct for the 38-55 I have the same rifle and bought the Lee dies which has a .375 win sizer which is .100 too short and oversizes the brass unless you raise the die up .100 and a little more to allow for the larger bullets in the seating station. The M die is a valuable asset for cast. But then the Lee factory crimp is a good value also. Good luck with the 38-55 is a very fine cal and rifle, there are a few issues regarding cast size, you will find your groove will slug around .3785 - .3795 and as such the cast bullets in .379 will work well for it. I have no troubles with mine using .377 or .379 9-9.5 gns of Unique works quite well for me, with a 250gn cast. RX7 29.5 gns with a jacketed 250gn works very well for me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The RCBS dies are excellent. The expander that comes with them works well for the new Marlin. As an added note, if you ever venture into single shot 38-55s, Buffalo Arms offers custom made expander plugs for the larger bores in a lot of them. There may be some variations among early repeaters, too. I use .380" bullets and needed a larger plug to expand for them.

G

·
Get a set of RCBS Cowboy dies for the 38-55 , they are great :wink:
I went the Lyman route with the extra "M" die for the 30-30 after I broke my Lee set . They work really well also .
But the RCBS Cowboy are the way to go . I use them in 32-20 , 32-40 , 32HPS , 38-40 , 44-40 and 40-65 . Have not had any problems at all 8)

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Whats special about the cowboy dies?

G

·
Leverdude said:
Whats special about the cowboy dies?

They are supposed to be made with cast bullets in mind although they work nicely for jacketed as well.
I have been saying that the Cowboy dies are cheaper and they were when I got my 38-55 dies even thou I couldn't find any.
But in reality according to the midway catalog , the Cowboys are $48.50 and the regulers are $39.95.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Thanks 6PT.
So they expand the neck a little more or have separate flaring die?

I was having trouble with 45/70's & bullet runout. Got a Lyman "M" die & it fixed things for me. I'v got a 93 32/40 getting put together & was thinking of an "M" die for it but will look into these cowboy dies too now. I have a Lee die set for it already tho so I'll be trying with them before I spend money on more. I doubt I'll have the same trouble anyway, I built a couple dummies without issue but they were jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use Cowboy dies for my 1893 Grade "B" in 32-40. They work fine with cast bullets. RCBS has a line of dies called the Legacy Dies. They are made for a few of the Sharps cartridges and some others. The cost is quite low compared to other die sets. Check Buffalo Arms' website. They have a ton of dies in various brands.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I can't say for sure about their dies for 38-55 but RCBS' dies for the 45-70 are better IMO than the Lymans. RCBS' expander is a better design even than the "M" die. I am still waiting to get the right parts for my Hornady die set- it was send with the wrong seater guts. When I get that stuff, I will post pics of the differences between the Lyman, Hornady, and RCBS dies (in the 45-70). I'm sure others of the same make and basic cartridge shape will be similar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies!
I just picked up a used set of RCBS (in perfect condition, not a mark on 'em!) for $20.00, and I'll post when I load my first batch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts