Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new older marlin 35 rem coming soon and wondered what you may think of the current dies available. One particular brand you favour?

I should mention I am new here in your forum, eh.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Welcome aboard. I use a lot of RCBS and almost as many LEE. Carbide when I can get them. Hope you stick around and join in.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Father'sSon said:
A new older marlin 35 rem coming soon and wondered what you may think of the current dies available. One particular brand you favour?

I should mention I am new here in your forum, eh.
Hey there,

I have been using Lee for some time now for 4 different kinds of calibers.

30-30
45-70
7.62x54r
.357 magnum

All work awesome. Cheep and very reliable.

The way to go is u ask me.

Cheers,
mad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure-Shot said:
Welcome aboard. I use a lot of RCBS and almost as many LEE. Carbide when I can get them. Hope you stick around and join in.
OK, RCBS and Lee. I read about the carbide.. no lube needed. nice. God willing, I will be around to join in for awhile with you guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[/quote]
All work awesome. Cheep and very reliable.

The way to go is u ask me.

Cheers,
mad[/quote]

Lee again. I have their reloading book. Quite helpful. Interesting ideas.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm certainly no expert and have only been reloading for a year or so. But, from talking to other reloaders I've noticed that Lee dies seem to come highly recommended even from men who don't like the rest of the Lee products. Lee is the only thing I've ever used but I haven't had any problems with them and don't really know how they could be any better.

You WILL want a Lee Factory Crimp Die - Especially if you will be using a Remington 200 Cor-Lokt bullet. The normal crimp from a bullet seating die just won't get the job done on this bullet. Might as well pick up a whole set of Lee dies while you're at it. They're cheap enough.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You wont be able to get a carbide die for a bottle neck cartridge. I like the Hornady dies and RCBS and Lyman. I have a few sets of the Lee dies because they came with rifles that I bought. My personal thought on the Lee dies is that they are cheap, the adjustments suck and you get what you pay for. Do they work, yes they do, I just dont like the adjustments.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I can't believe nobody has even mantioned the Lee Collet Dies, they're getting me great accuracy, they work as advertised, and there is NO LUBE NEEDED. It works just like any neck die, but this system presses the neck onto a mandrel. NO WIPING LUBE OFF! Oh, and did I mention the AWESOME accuracy? The group I posted was from my 35 Remington, 3 shots at 50 yards, net group .062". Need I say more?

Papajohn

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I would agree the Lee factory crimp die is a must have. As was mentioned, the cannelure is so shallow on some of these .35 bullets that a roll crimp just doesn't work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kart29 said:
Lee is the only thing I've ever used but I haven't had any problems with them and don't really know how they could be any better.

You WILL want a Lee Factory Crimp Die - Especially if you will be using a Remington 200 Cor-Lokt bullet. The normal crimp from a bullet seating die just won't get the job done on this bullet. Might as well pick up a whole set of Lee dies while you're at it. They're cheap enough.
Ok, I'm sold. Lee crimp dies are on the list.

I have only one set of dies at the moment, a set of Hornady 30-06 dies and I really like them. they have the new spindle thing. Obviously well made. I think Hornady is a good company, even if their 200g. bullets do not expand in the 35 Rem cartridge as reliably as we might ask. They are the ones who hired the rocket scientist to design bullets... way to kick butt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
papajohn said:
I can't believe nobody has even mantioned the Lee Collet Dies, they're getting me great accuracy, they work as advertised, and there is NO LUBE NEEDED. It works just like any neck die, but this system presses the neck onto a mandrel. NO WIPING LUBE OFF! Oh, and did I mention the AWESOME accuracy? The group I posted was from my 35 Remington, 3 shots at 50 yards, net group .062". Need I say more?

Papajohn
I went to the Lee site and tried to find the "collet" dies. Am i missing something? Probably just a different name, right?

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Try part number 90728, and see if that works for ya. If not, let me know. We'll hook ya up! :wink:

PJ

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I use the Lee dies, both the Pacesetter and Collet for the 35 Rem. One point to remember about the Collet die is that it is neck sizing only and using the Factory Crimp Die defeats the reasoning behind the collet die.

This is from Lee: "This set is designed for assembling the most accurate ammunition, but is not recommended for hunting rounds as the case is neck sized only and the bullet is not crimped in case."

Sometimes neck sized ammo doesn't chamber smoothly with the cycle of the lever and uncrimped ammo in the tube will not stay at a set OAL. In fact, it will be hammered to a shorter OAL at each shot. The shorter OAL will guaranty an increase in chamber pressure for the given charge.

We think of leveraction rifles when we think 35 Rem but the Collet dies have the Thompson Contenders in mind. If you understand how the Pacesetter dies are cut vs. the others, you will understand that they are made to order for leveraction hunting. My Pacesetter dies have accounted for lots of dead hogs and deer in this caliber and others.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I do believe that there are some carbide dies for bottle necked cartridges?? But you still need to lube the cases so they don't stick. One thing I have started doing with my .35 is to use my 38/357 carbide sizer die to neck size the 35 Rem case. It will size most of the neck tight enough to get good bullet tension. So far the cases feed well. I do realize that after a few firings I will most likely need to FL resize. I have not run a side by side comparison with the same load and differnetly sized cases to find out if I get an accuracy increase. I've been in the middle of a move combined with a big hairy family situation. When I get a chance to compare I will post my results.

One more thing I do not think you loose all the benefits of the collet dies using the FCD. The FCD still leaves the body of the case unsized which should minimize head space and give you a mostly fireformed case.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Bman said:
I do believe that there are some carbide dies for bottle necked cartridges??
Carbide sizing dies are strictly a straight-walled case proposition. Bottle neck dies require case lubing, although if you're neck sizing only you can generally get by with very minimal lube.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went down to the local sports store and tried to buy a Lee 35 Rem die set. Not avialable, no idea when they will be available. they had a RCBS and a Hornady set so bought the Hornady.. already had Hornady 3006 dies and they are good.

Will just have to learn how to crimp with the Hornady. I think case length is important. Will trim to equal length for all cases.

35 Rem is not so easy to buy for here. We went through the entire wall of bullets and found some bags of 35 cal. Rem Core Lokts in the back that are identical to the factory loaded 35 Rem in boxes. Will try them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts