Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing about the fun and economy of shooting 38's thru my 1894 .357/.38 spl. What is the "consensus" for accurate .38 spl commercial loads in this great lever gun? I do not reload (once I did... but that's a long story). Jacketed or lead SWC? Difference in POI between .357 vs .38 spl @ 50 yds?

Thanks for helping me out. :hmmmm:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I do not know what the best is. But the only thing I've used are the cheap Federal 158 grain from Walmart, ya gotta take what you can get! At 25 yards they'll do an inch off hand. At 50 I didn't really notice the groups opening up, but those big bullets will drop about an inch though at 50 yards.

Some of my friends in another site say the old CHP load of 110 gr is a screamer and will shoot the lights out. But I haven't run up on any of them. Oh, and I've been shooting lead round nose.

Reactions: Blackbarry

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use Federal American Eagle 158 gr, LRNs. They're quite consistent, relatively cheap, and seem to be just sub-sonic so don't have the 'crack' associated with hotter rounds. I found at 50 yards if I use the 'front sight cover the target' method with .38, and 'front sight below target' with .357, I'm pretty close.
p_105200367_2.jpg
A couple years ago I could get them for < $18 / box of 50, now I'm seeing them around $20-$21 per box.

Reactions: Blackbarry

·
Registered
708 Posts
I use Federal American Eagle 158 gr, LRNs. They're quite consistent, relatively cheap, and seem to be just sub-sonic so don't have the 'crack' associated with hotter rounds. I found at 50 yards if I use the 'front sight cover the target' method with .38, and 'front sight below target' with .357, I'm pretty close.
View attachment 108193
A couple years ago I could get them for < $18 / box of 50, now I'm seeing them around $20-$21 per box.
That's just about what I've found too. And yes, the federal off the rack stuff seems to be very consistent.

And I agree about the quite thing. I was shooting at a big limb the other day on a tree lap that's fallen on my property. You could hear that big 58 gr bullet smack the limb over the sound of the bullet.

Reactions: Firmin

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's just about what I've found too. And yes, the federal off the rack stuff seems to be very consistent.

And I agree about the quite thing. I was shooting at a big limb the other day on a tree lap that's fallen on my property. You could hear that big 58 gr bullet smack the limb over the sound of the bullet.
Yeah, not only can I hear the thump of the round hitting the target, but with the sun just right, I can actually watch the bullet in its trajectory.

You'll never develop a flinch with those .38s.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've heard good things about those 130 grain loads. I'll look some up.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Magtech also makes a 158gr jacketed flat point that shoots pretty good and slaps the target nicely with the flat point. We sell em for the same price as the lead round nose. DP

Reactions: Colonel26
1 - 10 of 10 Posts