Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting back into reloading and will be building loads for 30-06. Haven't reloaded in over 20 years and gosh there sure is a lot of new stuff out there: presses, scales, powders, and all kinds of bullets....especially for the 30-06

With 30-06 velocities in mind, what kind of bullet / weight would you put at the top of the list for whitetail? I'm looking for drop them in their tracks performance. I'm shooting a Browning BAR and ranges will be 200 yds or less with most shots under 100 yds.

Thanks
firstshot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Sorry......wasn't logged in when I entered the new topic


firstshot
--------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Use a 180 gr. RN and work the load up to Mach 2 and then stop when you hit the sweet spot. If a White tail doesn't die on his feet with that, you're not putting it in the right place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Hi firstshot -

WOW!!!
When did Marlin start making a leveraction Browning BAR in .30-06???? :D GOTTA GET ONE!!

Seriously tho, any standard -06 load'll drop a whitetail in it's tracks - it ain't the load - it's where you hit 'em.

That said, a mid-weight soft-alloy cast bullet @ 16-1800fps is a cheap, effective venison-getter.

Plus, it'll give you a whole new field (excuse) for experimentation & powder burnin'! :wink:

regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I would probably go with a 150gr. bullet and given my penchant for using Barnes XLCs for my hunting bullets that would be the one I'd use. I have a .308 and the bullet of choice for it when going after mulies is a Barnes XLC 130gr. In fact you could probably go with the 130gr. as well, it will certainly hold up to 30-06 power. All things equal though 150gr is a good weight for deer and even the remington Core-lokt would suffice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
curmudgeon said:
Hi firstshot -

WOW!!!
When did Marlin start making a leveraction Browning BAR in .30-06???? :D GOTTA GET ONE!!

Plus, it'll give you a whole new field (excuse) for experimentation & powder burnin'! :wink:

regards,
curmudgeon

I do have a Marlin 1897CL...but was having difficulty getting the 06 ammo to fit in the chamber......so had a good excuse to get the BAR....LOL

Hope I'm not out of line talking about reloading for something other than a Marlin! Only mentioned 30-06 so everyone would have a better idea of what bullets are available.......Only mentioned the BAR cause didn't figure it would you guys long to figure out Marlin doesn't offer a 30-06.....maybe they should!! In my opinion the 30-06 is the best "All Around" caliber out there!

Am looking forward to getting back into reloading though. It sure does give you an excuse to try out different powders & bullets not to mention another reason why ya "got to go to the range"....LOL

Everyone
Thanks for the recommendations.....keep em commin!

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Dave in LB said:
I would probably go with a 150gr. bullet and given my penchant for using Barnes XLCs for my hunting bullets that would be the one I'd use. I have a .308 and the bullet of choice for it when going after mulies is a Barnes XLC 130gr. In fact you could probably go with the 130gr. as well, it will certainly hold up to 30-06 power. All things equal though 150gr is a good weight for deer and even the remington Core-lokt would suffice.
Dave in LB

I assume that since you reload you have tried a number of different bullets. How does the accuracy of the XLC compare to other makes you have tried? Since I'm shooting an automatic (not as accurate as a bolt), I want to build the most accurate round I can.

I've had my eye on the Barns XLC's and was hoping someone would comment on them.

By the way have you seen their new Tripple Shock Bullet? Barns says: "Barnes' revolutionary Triple-Shock X™ design provides all the benefits of the time-proven XLC-coated X-Bullet™" http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodtsx.php

Thanks for the input

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count.[/url]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Depends on terrain, if I'm hunting the big woods I use a 180 Nosler Partition RN, If I'm hunting open fields and plains I use a 150gr Hornady interbond bt this will shoot a little flatter, well I'm talking in a category of .308 dia's. My Rem 700 243win uses a 100gr Horndy interlock sp great cart for reaching out, now If you really have to reach out, like lets say big mule deer country out west, I Use the 338 win mag using 200gr Nosler BT good to go from 30- 400 yards...So it all depends were your hunting, They all work in there right place in the field. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Rmouleart said:
Depends on terrain, if I'm hunting the big woods I use a 180 Nosler Partition RN, If I'm hunting open fields and plains I use a 150gr Hornady interbond bt this will shoot a little flatter, well I'm talking in a category of .308 dia's. My Rem 700 243win uses a 100gr Horndy interlock sp great cart for reaching out, now If you really have to reach out, like lets say big mule deer country out west, I Use the 338 win mag using 200gr Nosler BT good to go from 30- 400 yards...So it all depends were your hunting, They all work in there right place in the field. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Rmouleart

I'm hunting in the Ozarks of NW Arkansas. Our lease is mostly wooded but do have some fields and clear-cuts where shots could approach 200Yds. Most shots however will be under 100Yds.

firstshot
------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Firstshot,

I'm shooting a bolt gun but I find the accuracy better than acceptable. Here are my handicaps though. first my rifle wears a Burris 2.75X Scout Scope (Savage Scout rifle) and it is great for hunting but horrible to try and shoot targets with. The gun will shoot better than I can can shoot it, but off a bench I can shoot pretty close to 1-1.25 MOA consistantly. With practice I think I can do better. I like the Barnes because I can use a lighter bullet and get heavy performance which allows for a little more range out of my 308. I have (1) Triple X bullet that I recovered from someone's reload at the range. (I couldn't leave a live roud lying on the ground.) I will load it to try but one isn't a good test. I like with the XLC that there is not much if any copper fouling to clean out and I found that if I am .050" off the lands that my accuracy is good. For comparison sake other more competent shooters have shot my rifle and reloads and they were impressed with how consistant and accurate the combo was. Unfortunately the Barnes line is deffinately not for plinking so I just picked up some cheapish 130grs for practice.

I forgot to mention that myt max load of varget(53.5 gr according to Barnes) with a 180gr XLC generates a avg. velocity of 2630FPS. I haven't chrono'd the 130 grain load but I would imagine I'm near 2900fps. My gun has a 20" barrel and seems to be very effiecient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
For Deer the 150grs BTSP in the 30-06.With 53.4grs of WIN 740 under it,you generate 3,000fps.Good Deer pill I think.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top