Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best bet for finding a straight trigger plate?

OK, another 336 in 35 Rem. is coming home, nothing special which is what makes it special, it'll be my snowy day rifle that I don't mind beating up a bit. I'd like to do a straight grip conversion on it. Already have a straight lever and stock, need the trigger plate. We all know that Marlin apparently doesn't sell them to commoners, Numrich is completely out as well. Where's some other good places to look for one, and what do they run price-wise when they do show up?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: Best bet for finding a straight trigger plate?

Find someone to trade or just cut it. I did one and it wasn't that hard.

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So Mr. Fixit, if I understand your photo essay of the conversion, you use the stock as a template to scribe the new trigger plate contour on the old one, then cut away the excess. If it's this simple it should be a snap since I have a mill out in the shop. Then just a bit of draw filing and polish and over to the neighborhood 'smith for a dip in the blue tanks. That pretty much sum it up, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

That is all there is to it. I had to adjust my lever plunger, so the lever would stay closed that was all for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts

I think you pretty much summed it up! You have a leg up on most...IE mill in the shop, got that baby done yet? ;D Good luck. Mr fixit

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nope, not done yet, probably because it's still in the mail getting here! Looking forward to doing this conversion, might even have to dig up a second .444 and do the deed as well! Thanks again for your help!

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts

I'd like to see pics of the work in progress, what it looks like when milling etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'd be happy to comply with the pic request if I owned one of them fancy no film cameras, and the even bigger hurdle, knew how to make images magically appear from that portable box into a computer screen. No idea how all that works, so I'd guess it's not gonna happen, besides the link in the above post shows pretty well what you need to do. Mr. Fixit seems to be pretty well versed in the conversion, and I thank him again for his generosity of knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts

Doubletap....given a little time and you will become as informed as I. Trust me there are guys here that would make me look pretty foolish, I only know what I do from hanging my hat here at MO over the past 4 1/4 years....but who's counting! ;D ;D ;) Well IF you do manage to find someone with a camera to take a few shots, just save them in My Documents under My Pictures, at least you'll have them...then we can broaden your horizons with How to stuff. Mr fixit

·
Registered
476 Posts

I would be up for a swap but I am not sure if my 1894 and your 336 part would work??? I am looking for the curved parts to go on my 357 Cowboy. ??? But I think the receivers are different lengths right?

JC

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

No JC, the trigger plates don't interchange, did a little eyeballing on my 44 and 357 to a 336 and it's not too good looking. From perusing parts diagrams it looks like the locking blocks also don't interchange from the 336 to the 94's either, just in case the question ever comes up in trivial pursuit. javascript:void(0);

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts

I did a parts swap with another MO member to convert my 338MX to straight stock. He had a 1895 cowboy he wanted a pistol grip stock for. We swapped the stocks, stock screw, trigger guard plate and lever. All parts dropped right in. If you can find a straight stock 336, 444 or 1895 they will all work. An 1894 will not work. Another option I was going to do was buy a straight stock 336, convert the parts and then sell the pistol gripped rifle left over. Hope this helps, Lonnie.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts