Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is compiled by Field & Stream. Just shows the best states to kill any whitetail, buck or doe. I was surprised to find WV ranked 17, but maybe it's because I have been shooting between 3 and 6 deer a year for years that skewed the number. Unfortunately WV is nowhere to be found when it comes to trophy whitetails.

So here you go, The Best Any-Whitetail States In America:
[1] AL (2.05 deer per hunter)
[2] GA (1.50)
[3] MS (1.49)
[4] SC (1.27)
[5] VA (0.96)
[6] LA (0.91)
[7] MD (0.90)
[8] ND (0.88)
[9] DE (0.84)
[10] WI (0.794)
[11] FL (0.792)*
[12] IL (0.786)
[13] NJ (0.784)**
[14] MO (0.75)
[15] IA (0.7322)
[16] TX (0.7318)
[17] WV (0.715)
[18] OH (0.672)
[19] MI (0.667)
[20] IN (0.58)
[21] AR (0.57)
[22] MN (0.54)
[23] NC (0.50)
[24] KS (0.49)
[25] KY (0.45)
[26] OK (0.43)
[27] PA (0.42)
[28] SD (0.41)
[29] NY (0.40)
[30] NE (0.39)
[31] TN (0.32)
[32] RI (0.31)
[33] CT (0.27)
[34] MA (0.213)
[35] NH (0.211)
[36] VT (0.19)
[37] ME (0.16)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It surprises me that SC is #4. We have a lot of deer but it seems that the number has been in decline for the last few years due to reduced habitat.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
We are at #6...I figured we would have been lower than that but then again we have a good bit of Deer here and a lot harvested every year as well!!!

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appears to me that if you just want to kill a deer, the southern states are the place to go.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
although an interesting list, you have to be careful with this and may want to consider all of the other factors NOT factored in here; for example: how much public land, how many total hunters, how long are the seasons, what is the actual hunter success rate, what weapons are allowed, etc. etc. Many northern states only allow you to take one deer, no matter by what means - bow, rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader!
Trophy whitetails (if that's your goal) are not commonplace in the south... the midwest takes the cake there...

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hammertime said:
Maine ranked 37, but we're #1 when it comes to highest taxes. Taxationland!! ;D ;D
Really? We always called PA the "Land of Taxes". ;D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Makes my 1 buck in Maine worth 10 in GA?
We are bucks only, though a lot of doe permits and special archery permits are available in the southern/ coastal part of the state. Our season is November only for firearms too.
Still wouldn't live anywhere else, other than AK perhaps.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Halwg said:
Really? We always called PA the "Land of Taxes". ;D
Amen to that!
PA is ranked 27th and it doesn't surprise me because of what gehewr stated. Diminishing habitat, shorter season (firearms) than most states, antler restrictions, public land issues, one deer per general hunting license (see shorter seasons except for doe only special regulations areas, Pittsburgh and Philly suburbs and extra 2 weeks) leads to less deer harvested. The Game commission is trying to improve habitat and decrease bucks being harvested less than 1.5 years (through AR). I am seeing large and better racked deer than in the past. But I am seeing LESS deer than the past. Which I am OK with. I believe PA's deer season is steeped with tradition that is passed down from generation to generation! I wouldn't give that up for 10 deer per hunter! ;)

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Festus,At least we are in the top 5. Had I been healthy this year,Id of put us on up a couple notches ;D ;D 8) Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
gunrunner said:
Festus,At least we are in the top 5. Had I been healthy this year,Id of put us on up a couple notches ;D ;D 8) Gunrunner,,
I did my part this year with 4 bucks... I let several does walk that I should have taken especially when I did not even use any of my four doe tags this season :(... I just wonder how they get an accurate count of deer harvested in SC since you don't have to check anything in???

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
I dont know either festus. Glad you did your part.I cant go to the mailbox with out jumpin deer ;D And Boys hunting is as about as big as tradition down here as anywhere I can think of. Maybe not the deer camp experience as PA,And certainly nothing beats the hunt camps of Michigan which Im a part of ever chance I get. But down here we did it to eat! ;D, And we start hunting when we step out our backdoor. Itd take alot ,mostly TNT to get me out from South Carolina. But we should all be proud of where we are from.If your not.then theres something wrong somewhere. Jimone,With the weather you boys are havin and hunt in,yall desurve 10 deer! Its 40 here today,but will be warming back up this weekend. Yall stay safe.Gunrunner,,

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
That would be an interesting number to know, because Kansas does not monitor what is shot. They would have no accurate number other than perhaps the mule deer in the Western part of the state.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Positively balmy this morning at -5, warmed up to 25 or so today. I'll take that over 40 degrees and rain anytime. Only 3-4 feet of snow on the ground. I think the percentages are low because of everyone that gets a license and doesn't get out much. Bad winter kill two years ago too. Deer herds are down since they ended clear cutting large parcels of land back in the 70's too.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
See, just goes to show Ya gotta love where your from. Give me the swamps,skeeters, snakes and aligators anytime over all that cold and snow. Now I know a good bit about up in there. Used to go to Bangor often,then on to Nova Scotia.Different Strokes for different folks ;) Hope deer numbers improves for ya. I think ours was 1.5 million this year.Least thats what I think I heard.Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got mine last fall, a little 6 pointer that went 160# dressed, and I still have a couple hundred pounds of moose meat from the year before last. If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Yep they grow big in the colder states. Only killed three over 200lbs here. My biggest was 226lbs. This one weighed 206 but had a 21inch spread.Seen 200lb does killed in Michigan..Good luck with your hunting .Randy,,

1 - 20 of 43 Posts