Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you all

Being new to this forum, I will appreciate your advices ...

I have just starting reloading for my 1895SS (45/70), using IMR 3031 and hornady bullets (300 gr HP) - not much choices available in my country !

As the IMR relaoding manual states that the maximun laod for this powder and bullet combo is 54gr (giving a supposed and doubtfull velocity of 1950 fps ), I reloaded a whole lot with 53 grains obtaining outstanding accuracy just from the begining ... encouraged by this promisories results, I started to think if this was the best result I could achieve, considering the 54 grains limit IMR says ....

So:

Can I make hotter reloads without compromise excessive pressure (I don´t have he Hornady reloading manual, but I think they suggest a heavier charge of IMR 3031)

I intend to use this combo to hunt boars, but I heard that the 350 graisn are better in terminal ballistic issue, is it so? Apparently the 300 have a thinner jacket than expected (being this caliber I am not interested in expansion, just penetration - ergo velocity with a given type of bullet ... as I think the 45 bullets are pre expanded !) I am looking for a velocity of 1900 fps at least (and I do not have any chronograph available to measure the velocity of my reloads)

Regards,
Martin

·
Registered
566 Posts
The 300 grain Hornady Hp is a fine deer and hog bullet if the hogs aren't much over 200 pounds. My favorite load for 300 grain bullets uses IMR 4198 but the first loads tested in my 45-70 and used for hunting were 53.5 grains of 3031 and the 300 grain Remington HP I had a good year with that load taking several small feral hogs and 5 deer. Very accurate load. The Hornady 300 is a somewhat tougher bullet than the 300 Remington bullet and many push it to over 2000 fps. The only thing I didn't like about the 53.5 grain load of 3031 was the abundance of unburned powder grains left in the bore.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts